Deranged Modifications

What is the most off-the-hook modification you've ever made to a motorcycle? And DID IT WORK?

I have been reflecting on this since I saw my friend's lockdown project. Business has been dead under covid19, so he's been using the spare time to solve the main problem he was having with his scooter - lack of power. First he put in a carb jet from a TZR, but something more was needed. A supercharger, perhaps? Um yes, that's a supercharger off a Subaru. 

See the red steel pipe? Well at first he used radiator hose but the suction created by the supercharger was so great that the radiator hose collapsed in on itself. No problem - just use steel.

Nobody was harmed in the modification of this scooter (yet). Coming soon to a drag race on a Chiang Mai superhighway near you...

20200504_134615.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pedro said:

Seems a problematic place to have a chain and a spinning compressor, right inside your core when you're in  full tuck ...

Yes I'm frankly terrified of it. Do you see in the video how the chain shimmies as the revs drop? I made sure not to stand in front or behind the bike in case it goes flying off like a missile... My friend assures me he's going to put a proper cover on it...

15 hours ago, BusBoy said:

Awesome ? However that's a root charger and I suspect it is designed to be run alongside a turbo to eliminate turbo lag. As such it should have an electronic clutch to phase in and out once turbo has spooled up rather than direct drive. If you spin them too fast the internal blades shred and the bearings seize. He has mitigated this with a larger sprocket to the main drive but that may well cause him to lose power in the lower revs rather than gain it. So what he gains in top end hp he will lose in in low to midrange revs.  Full marks for spunk though.

Thanks so much for the analysis, that's interesting. I will ask him how the low to mid range feels now. I was wondering on what basis he'd calculated the sprocket sizes and ratios - was wondering whether he was using math or guesswork, but my Thai is not so good. 

There's a lot of practical mechanical creativity here in Thailand but not so many people have the opportunity to access really good technical training to understand the principles behind it all, so you end up with a lot of trial and error. And some wild modifications! As you say, full marks for spunk.

And that things made for a 4 cylinder, don"t need to be spinning that thing up much to gain horses.
If you've got the time and parts, why not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

And that things made for a 4 cylinder, don"t need to be spinning that thing up much to gain horses.
If you've got the time and parts, why not.

Yeah I think the supercharger was 100 baht, so just over $3. Why not indeed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

I don't understand, KLR parts don't break??

No, thats all they do is break..Team Green died in the late 1970's....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tym said:

No, thats all they do is break..Team Green died in the late 1970's....

Korean shite.

5 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Korean shite.

Team Green never cared, they built heavy equipment, Kawasaki motorcyles were just some pia, someday, i will return to Japan, and kick everyone of Team Greens ass.