Helmets with an off-road beak

Pedro

I would like a helmet with a beak for touring, mainly for protection agains the sun. Besides end of day low sun conditions when it's useful to avoid the glare from low sun, it's great to have a little shade on your face in really hot days.

I've tried my Shoei motocross helmet on the GS and it's unbearable when cruising over 90kmh, it pulls up and all over the place. I've tried a Schuberth E1 and the beak makes it vibrate a whole lot, so much so that it made my vision blurred. This surprised me because I love my C3 Pro.

I've got a smaller screen on the GS, and don't want to loose that. Is there any beaked helmet you have found to be aerodynamic on motorways up to 140kmh, or am I expecting too much of an impossible miracle?

I bought myself one of these recently after looking for ages but never finding anything that I thought comfortable. Of course it's still in the box and I'm continuing to use the BMW System 6 Evo which is extremely comfortable, quiet, but no peak and it's getting on a bit. As I'm getting older I find that bright skies, or a lot of light contrast is an issue, and have been coping by pulling the sun visor down slightly. With a peak as well, things should be better. I did try all the other popular makes, but it had to be a flip, because I use glasses, and there wasn't a huge choice.

Helmet Touratech Aventuro Mod, Sky, ECE/DOT

Well, my bike has a smaller than stock screen, so there is more air all over, I am not sure about more turbulence at motorway speeds but a lot more bugs hit my helmet than with the standard helmet.

My problem with the Schuberth that I tried was that it shaked a lot more than my motocross helmet, which is a Shoei. The motocross helmet hasn't got that vibration, but is obviously a lot worse at catching air, not to mention there is no shield so there is a big hole catching air right there. I understand that a beak is never going to be ideal, but my question was about if there is any experience with one that is not so bad.

I love a modular helmet, because I ride with it open on slow speeds and love the feeling of opening it up right before arriving somewhere on a hot day. I would get an open face but the idea of getting a stone right in my face on the motorway doesn't appeal. But the beak appeals for touring... 

• Like 1

My next helmet will definitely have a peak. In these northern latitudes the sun is very low in the sky in the winter and a couple of times I've been completely blinded and had to pull over quick. I'm not bothered about the aerodynamics as I rarely go over 60 mpg.

• Like 1

Helmet vibration (oo err) was a big problem with mine on the Africa Twin i found it was caused by air coming up the fork tunnel i put my hand there while riding one day and it disappeared

I made this out of a bit of perspex i had lying about problem solved this was the prototype

IMG_6271.thumb.JPG.a6baae96993f568ff4b06407f52877bd.JPG

• Like 1

I've used peaked helmets for over 20 years, in fact I don't use anything else.  My favourite is the Arai Tour Cross, I've had four of them all told and I never have any vibration problems but I'm a shortarse (5' 8 '') and I think that helps.

Last year I bought a Klim Krios Karbon which as it suggests is mainly carbon, it is superbly light but the peak is rubbish for hiding the glare of the sun. The Arai wins everytime on that score.

https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/klim-krios-karbon-adventure/137537290/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=10604620&country=uk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6oO96Ob86AIVgevtCh3jewQAEAQYBSABEgLSF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

I've used a Givi Tour X on my Strom for e years and I love it, I never once had an issue with the Peak causing any buffeting issues and I did like the beak in low sun conditions . However I've just bought an Arai Chaser X full face helmet. I did want the Arai Tour X4 but it was too expensive and the chaser X was on a clearance price as it was last seasons colour 

• Like 1