Baja!!!

alfalfa

Well, no one died.  That's a plus, considering there were 15 of us riding down to get dirty in Baja.  Great weather, great friends, and only one "rescue".

a good example of the idjits, AKA  Agalos, having lunch in San Felipe.  Ever seen the commercial where cowboys are herding cats?  Well, that is pretty much how these rides go.

GOYY4741.thumb.JPG.7a3e4640a695e2a3f9120ea0a46b9bcd.JPG

Fortunately, there is tequila!!

CXBC3881.thumb.JPG.8da6813f28cbd35de1026c9b568675c2.JPG

Hell, we may even get around to riding bikes....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

First up was the great bike shuffle.  We had four riders flying in from Ohio, Carolina, Missouri and Connecticut.  Since you really cant check a motorcycle in your carryon, it was time to round up the extra bikes.  Dennis had his son's GS, Gary had a spare GS (the 1250 that i had just sold him because it was too pretty to beat up offroad.  oh, well).   I had Flames (Bruce's favorite bike) and a KTM 950, which was almost in running condition.

ahhh, new shoes

IMG_2507.JPG.1e1cc1ae639722b5d64532a0aa5b3418.JPG

but, first, there must be bling.   There is a local riding "club" known as the Flying Monkey Adventure Riders, who could be considered nuttier than AGALOS, but they are still young so you have to cut them some slack.

Anyways, one of the riders is a graphics artist, or artist period.  We needed a trip sticker, so Tristan came thru:

IMG_2241.thumb.PNG.e675c06a6ac626bdbe28d14b52d0a2bb.PNG

IMG_2247.thumb.JPG.a247ea59e3ac390c6265243314d868de.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In hind sight, should have used Baja in place of Mexico.   Baja, as it will turn out,  has its own spirit that makes it one of my favorite places to ride.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

So you went down there to get shitfaced Rick? :classic_laugh:

Naw, i can do that anywhere.  And, will.  

Ok, maybe.  There was one stop where 50 margaritas may have been consumed....

• Haha 1

image.png.ed96742ab8264535672897d4b72ba078.png

Crude map of the route, just for scale.  All told, the trip was about 1800 miles, in 8 days.  The goal was to do as much dirt as we could find, and survive.  Our last push south was 160 miles of gravel, sand, dirt and rocks.  Hence the need for 50 margaritas when we reached Rice and Beans in San Ignacio.

Pre-trip:   Day 0

With the flyers coming in to Ontario Airport, Gary's house was soon overflowing.  This trip started out with a group of about 6-8 riders, but word spread and we peaked at 15.  The plan was to meet in Norco Hills, at Gary's, on Friday morning for a shakedown ride (short) south over some great curvy blacktop, finishing up in Tecate.  The crossing at Tecate is very low effort, especially compared to the madhouse known as Tijuana.   We had a hotel reserved just across the border as I didnt want to hit the newbies with too much the first day.  About two thirds of the group had never been south, so they were a little leery.  Blame that on the American "news" media, who sell commercial time using sensationalism to the extreme.  Rant off.

But, first.   How to shuffle bikes to Norco.  As i was loaning out two of mine, i figured a trailer would be needed.  As it turns out, one of our riders from Connecticut arrived in Las Vegas where he was to pickup his own GS from the trucking company, only to find out it hadnt left Philadelphia yet.  After the head explosion, I convinced him to take Flames.  He rented a car from Vegas and drove to my place.  This reduced my headache to just getting one bike south, plus mine, which was accomplished by my brother riding it down.

Day 1:

At Gary's, the bikes were being packed and prepped.  The KTM was ridden down from my place, which meant that Matt hadnt had a chance to pack and prep it.

IMG_2518.thumb.JPG.de04c679a1f1f6a6cf5bc68f87d02e1a.JPGIMG_2519.thumb.JPG.5c64a0a93f8f32b6c41c24cf50efe3b2.JPG

I sold that bike to Gary because i wouldnt take it offroad!

IMG_2523.thumb.JPG.2c08af5e47762d5200cface2203d8205.JPG

Brad Calbert - Skunkwerks Moto.  If you are in the midwest and need service on any type of bike, see him.

IMG_2527.thumb.JPG.25c451a2aa140e40af5734008b26456a.JPG

The "cats" before we leave.  Damn, thats a lot of bikes!!

We headed south over Palomar Mtn, which is a squid staple with all its twisty bits.  First flat of the trip honors went to Matt on my KTM.  Maybe we could have fixed it quicker if i hadnt left the tool kit out of the bike ?  Luckily, we ran in to two guys on KTM's at the top and got the tire fixed.  Looked like there was an old tube left in the bike, even tho i had just had new rubber put on.

IMG_2530.thumb.JPG.7077160b0f713fc737248062110452b9.JPG

After running the length of Palomar Mountain we stopped at a biker hangout for lunch.  We stragglers got there just as the rest of the group was finishing lunch, except Fernando.  Fernando was on a Multi-Strada that was making horrendous back fire noises.  He finally got it running well enough to head back to San Diego, to drop it off at a shop.

The rest of us headed into Baja, just as the sun was setting.  Something that always happens, but something we always say we wont do ?

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Looks super fun, I would really like to drive down the West Coast some day.  I don't have far to go in Canada, maybe I'll go to the top and drive back down, then to Baja. ?

Come on down and we will show you Baja!  (and some curvy pavement in SoCal)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I might just take you up on that offer some time! :littleguy:

Always welcome.  Grew up in Alaska, so Canoodians dont bother me, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, we crossed the border with no incidents, in spite of CNN.  First stop?  Tacos!!!

We commandeered the sidewalk and parking spaces in front of our favorite street taco vendor, then started ordering gross tacos!

IMG_2533.thumb.JPG.804014009c5f8c626b4e508477bc864b.JPGIMG_2534.thumb.JPG.e2c9e265f5af8d28f9f6e4e6361a9de4.JPG

IMG_2532.thumb.JPG.cf77f192ba89e813f8e1b728ce80856e.JPG

let's see - 14 riders x 4 tacos each, plus un coca each (or two).  Grand total - $30 US.  Gotta love mehico!

We then headed up to Hacienda Santana, a hotel we discovered two years ago after being rescued by another dangerous Mexican when one of our peeps blew out every spoke in his rear wheel, 20 miles from Tecate.  (save that story for when this is done.  suffice it to say that people living in Baja really look after each other).

IMG_2537.thumb.JPG.bf887c48894b6b254935b8b3007febb8.JPGIMG_2541.thumb.JPG.d3263335b8f8fc886a0bbd3c4dd81e28.JPGIMG_2542.thumb.JPG.c2c8468dae694954c343c5d5bd17002b.JPG

Speaking of street food, you can always venture out in the a.m. and find a vendor on a nearby street selling breakfast burritos.  Not sure our budget could handle the cost of 30 pesos, but we managed.

IMG_2544.thumb.JPG.7bea5dc4a6b016e670477197fb3051c8.JPGIMG_2543.thumb.JPG.ab812b4e2247296361600649730d2844.JPG

This place is a little pricey for Baja, but well worth it.  Modern, amurican-quality, and one great underground bar.  It was there that we started "prepping" for the trip by trying to wipe out their Tequila supply.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, alfalfa said:

Always welcome.  Grew up in Alaska, so Canoodians dont bother me, eh?

Perfect "Canadian dialect", impressive. :littleguy:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Great write up ?

How many days did this trip take?

We left on a Friday, coming back the following Saturday.  8 days, with a rest day in the middle, where we spent two days at Bahia de Los Angeles.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alfalfa said:

We left on a Friday, coming back the following Saturday.  8 days, with a rest day in the middle, where we spent two days at Bahia de Los Angeles.

Anybody end up injured Rick?

I take it the federali’s have calmed down then, they went through a phase of taking bikes off travellers a few years back.

11 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Anybody end up injured Rick?

Wellll, we did have a rescue on our first full day in Baja, at Mike's Sky Ranch.  He is fine.  The other group of riders had one, as well. But, you are jumping ahead of my story ?.    You put old men on heavy bikes trying to relive their youth and sometimes we fall.

However, as one of our favorite stickers says "But, did you die?", and the answer is "no"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I take it the federali’s have calmed down then, they went through a phase of taking bikes off travellers a few years back.

I've ridden two weeks in mainland Mexico (2013) and in Baja 3 times now.  Never had a run in with the Federalis.  Baja has check points in several places and most of them just wave us thru.  Leaving San Ignacio, all 16 bikes were searched.  You see the camo trucks with armed military in the back all over, but for the most part we've had no issues.  Unlike in 80s and 90s.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alfalfa said:

Wellll, we did have a rescue on our first full day in Baja, at Mike's Sky Ranch.  He is fine.  The other group of riders had one, as well. But, you are jumping ahead of my story ?.    You put old men on heavy bikes trying to relive their youth and sometimes we fall.

However, as one of our favorite stickers says "But, did you die?", and the answer is "no"

Waiting in anticipation for the tales of carnage Rick.

Pull up a chair @Tym

• Haha 1

Just now, XTreme said:

Waiting in anticipation for the tales of carnage Rick.

Pull up a chair @Tym

8 days off road, in a strange land, what could go wrong......?

2 minutes ago, alfalfa said:

8 days off road, in a strange land, what could go wrong......?

For a load of beer-swilling fat old blokes the sky's the limit!

• Haha 2

Day 2 - first full day in Mexico.

We left Tecate after getting our tourist visas validated (what a cluster!).  These may or may not be required, but given how deep into Baja we were headed, we didnt want to chance it.  Actually, given that we had so many newbies already freaked out from entering Mexico, i didnt want to add to the angst.

The process of validating the visa requires you to hit the immigration office on the Mexican side of the border.  Since there is a cost, you have to have the form filled out and then go to the bank kiosk, and then back to Immigration.  Or, since it is 2021, you can fill it out online, pay online, and get it emailed to you already approved.  Sort of.  Remember, its Mexico.  So, one would think that doing it all online means it was verified and good.  Nope - still have to go to immigration and see the guy.  He does his little stampy, stampy thing and then you are out.  But, only if you remember to print out both the FMM AND the bank receipt.  Which some hadnt.  Anyways, an hour later, we were ready to roll east.

We turned south of Mexico Hwy 2, in the little town of Luis Echeverria Alvarez, at the beginning of El Compadre Trail.

image.png.064a7a9be4b45bcd1562b0b632f0cc0e.png

This is a dirt road that runs southerly from Hwy 2, to Hwy 3 by way of Ojos Negros.  It isnt a tough dirt road, but can have tough sections depending on the weather.  This time thru, we ran into several places with mud puddles and mud, and some little sand.   No real incidents, but some fun mud spins.

One of our guys was new to offroad, so we were keeping an eye on him.  Other than the first mud drop, he appeared to be having a lot of fun in the dirt, until an hour or so in.  Crossing one very large water hole, he spun and dumped the bike, tweaking his back a little (found out he has a couple of fused vertebra).  An aspirin and he was ready to go again.   We finished the trail with a great, late lunch at a little hole in the wall in Ojos Negros.

IMG_2545.thumb.JPG.ac66a32df63122ce23f3f634f4b2ab59.JPGIMG_2547.thumb.JPG.14f71b4a7917008236c4955cb29e2c51.JPGIMG_2549.thumb.JPG.c6676952d701f42a76125ad3fb26dd8a.JPGIMG_2552.thumb.JPG.c34049a5f2cddc128cf9efc7d8a61dfd.JPG

IMG_2563.thumb.JPG.1397b36563cce431ebe35e648bd641e2.JPG

Allen after his big off in the puddle.

• Like 5

At the lunch stop, we took over the little cafe.   I think they appreciated the large crowd, but they got worked!IMG_2564.thumb.JPG.3a04f55a94a1557a50123960c9a61163.JPGIMG_2570.thumb.JPG.03d5b469e664a820dc8c65b57e1cb33d.JPGIMG_2568.thumb.JPG.0c211707566009fd3be7837899be1c0d.JPGIMG_2577.thumb.JPG.878e997a33c828631b83b5f4dc065eaa.JPG

Our friendly wait staff.  After the meal, the normal tab gyrations started happening - who had what, etc, etc.  We finally told them to just add everything together and we would divide by the number of people.  After 15 mins of adding, etc, the total came to 600 pesos.  Before the high level math started (each person owes xx pesos), i figured that i would just cover the $30 (US) tab and let the poor help recover.   I mean, really, $2 (US) per person for some excellent tacos, burritos, cokes, etc!

Back on pavement, we continued SE'ly along Hwy 3, to Lazaro Cardenas, where we stocked up on Tequila, some snacks, and water before heading off into the hills in search of Mike's Sky Ranch.  Mike's is at altitude, in one of Baja's park areas.  It is famous as being a stop on the Baja 1000, either during the race, or for the crews pre-running the course before the race.  There is electricity (which they shut off around 9), food and rooms.  Meals are served family style and included in the room price.  But, you have to get there.

With a setting sun and the silt and sand, it was hard riding out of Cardenas.   We really didnt have any incidents until we were about 6 miles from Mike's, when Allen dumped his bike in the sand.  Given how well he had done all day, i figured he must have been getting tired and in a little pain from the mud puddle drop.

I was following behind him, sweeping, when i saw him lose his front wheel in the sand.

IMG_2584.thumb.JPG.8df233464ceb3fc463bec0abe21e7964.JPG

(Allen waiting for the stars to rise, or leave his eyesight)

He must have landed hard on an arm, or something as the pain kept him from getting up from about 15 minutes or so.

Adam really wasnt waiting impatiently ?

IMG_2585.thumb.JPG.24a21209792e6534cd33ee310e95c7dc.JPG

We got him up and moving again, but he must of run out of confidence, as he kept losing it in the sand (speed is your friend).

Some others came back and we worked at making progress towards Mike's but eventually the pain and sand became too much.  We hid his bike and Allen hopped on the back of Matt's bike and rode the 6 miles into Mike's.

One good thing about arriving late, is the sunset....

IMG_2587.thumb.JPG.44fc22533f60b0f9a4713c9d91fe45c0.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed that thanks. ?   Good for me to soak it in, as it is a trip I could reasonably do in the near future.

But...I really need to find some sand to practice in. :littleguy:

Looking forward to Day 3.

• Like 2