I was looking round......

XTreme

......at other forums to see what sort of footfall they get now, given the dominance that Facebook has had over the last 10 years.

In a lot of cases, the sites are now ghost towns. And some of these go back many years and used to be very busy!

When a major commercial outfit like CycleWorld closes their forum, it's a pretty strong indicator that the days of these sorts of platform have come and gone!

What sort of fucking moron would open a forum now given the fact that all the potential clientele are headed in the other direction?

frustrated stephen merchant GIF

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

......at other forums to see what sort of footfall they get now, given the dominance that Facebook has had over the last 10 years.

In a lot of cases, the sites are now ghost towns. And some of these go back many years and used to be very busy!

When a major commercial outfit like CycleWorld closes their forum, it's a pretty strong indicator that the days of these sorts of platform have come and gone!

What sort of fucking moron would open a forum now given the fact that all the potential clientele are headed in the other direction?

frustrated stephen merchant GIF

Yeah I wonder what sot of gentleman would do such a silly thing.What Happened Wtf GIF by FOX TV

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

stuff faceache keep the forums 

I'm hoping that people are going to rethink their browsing habits given the fact that it's been proven that FB is up to no good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tym said:

The best part of websites were their comment sections/forums, probably why so many are dropping them. 

Difficult to have a Forum War on Facebutt too!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Clive said:

A forum I used to go on started out (a bit like this one) easy going, have a laugh, rip the piss out of someone!.............then it got all serious, and a bit of banter was frowned upon.

The 3 guys who started the forum left, think they knew what was coming.

Forums can start to veer in another direction.......I know that all too well.

A concern of mine at the start was that this place would be looked at as a drop-in replacement for MB. And I made it clear then that this was not the case. Different animal altogether!

The direction I wanted was to continue on the path of the original DSUK as it was in 2004.....which was when most of the guys came onboard. So they must have saw some value in it.

And we've stayed true to that path ever since.......after all, this is The Last Chance Saloon for all of us! We gotta get this one right!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Six30 said:

cant  beat a Forum , not into Facebook... 

Unless they bully you of course! That's unacceptable! 

What you say @Clive @Swagman.........you may need to act as Minders for Six now I'm not there! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Clive said:

I consider it more like a mental institution than a forum.?

Unfortunately you missed "The Clueless Zone" by 15 years Clive! Now that was a mental institution!

@Tym was in charge and every member was called Julian Solos.......except for DA! 

And he'd spend all day arguing with multiple Julians! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Forums can start to veer in another direction.......I know that all too well.

A concern of mine at the start was that this place would be looked at as a drop-in replacement for MB. And I made it clear then that this was not the case. Different animal altogether!

The direction I wanted was to continue on the path of the original DSUK as it was in 2004.....which was when most of the guys came onboard. So they must have saw some value in it.

And we've stayed true to that path ever since.......after all, this is The Last Chance Saloon for all of us! We gotta get this one right!

yeah hope it keeps running

20 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

DSUK / Maxbikes was the best for me, it's a shame that a few more of them from there aren't on here. 

There again we all know that things always move on.............

Quite a few that don't ride now Bob!

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, skyrider said:

yeah hope it keeps running

The difference with this place to ALL the other forums.....not just the one we know......is there are no financial overheads!

It costs them MONEY.....it costs me NOTHING!

I have the servers to host it, with enough resources for at least 15 years given present growth........and I've owned the software since 2004.

The only outgoings are software updates $50, and the domain name $10. So that's $60 a year! And I can write that off against tax anyway.

That being said, it doesn't mean this site can run forever! It can only run as long as there are people who want to use it!

So the future of this place rests with each and every one of you!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Clive said:

There endeth the sermon...........Use it, or loose it!.?

What Clive said!

But also......any forum depends on new members coming onboard.....it's essential.

So put the word out.......particularly on FB groups! Those are prime places for recruitment.

I can't do it because it'll look like Spam......but you guys can!

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

Unless they bully you of course! That's unacceptable! 

What you say @Clive @Swagman.........you may need to act as Minders for Six now I'm not there! :classic_laugh:

Well I’m not doing too well on that score only posted once i think in over a week, Sorry Six, just like your old campaign manager let you down.??

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, XTreme said:

Unfortunately you missed "The Clueless Zone" by 15 years Clive! Now that was a mental institution!

@Tym was in charge and every member was called Julian Solos.......except for DA! 

And he'd spend all day arguing with multiple Julians! :classic_laugh:

So good. I really miss those days

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mess said:

So good. I really miss those days

We had epic forum wars back then didn't we Tym?

• Like 1