average speeds

MooN

Whilst riding the back roads around here and a mix of back roads and main roads ( not autoutes) I regularly average between 50 and 60kph over the ride. this does include photo stops etc etc but not stop where the engine is off like lunch or coffee stops.  Today I did nearly 400km on secondary roads, no tracks or trails and took only a couple of photos and my average speed was around 65 kph. ( ish ) 

What is you're average speed over a ride ( not counting motorway obviously).  The reason I ask is that I have just watched a couple of "adventure ride" youtube videos from various parts of the world and if their figures are right, they're doing over 500km on dirt roads in a little over 6 hoursm which means an average speed of around 80kph... for 6 Hrs... on dirt roads...( I'm presuming they're not countin the time spent for stops or filming but only riding time cos otherwise they'd have to be itting speeds upwards of 150km/h much of the time to reach that average.) I don't do that on asphalt! 

So are they riding Gods?  Is it me who's captain slow?  Don't get me wrong, I'm really not bothered by it I just wondered what you lot thought. 

13 minutes ago, MooN said:

Whilst riding the back roads around here and a mix of back roads and main roads ( not autoutes) I regularly average between 50 and 60kph over the ride. this does include photo stops etc etc but not stop where the engine is off like lunch or coffee stops.  Today I did nearly 400km on secondary roads, no tracks or trails and took only a couple of photos and my average speed was around 65 kph. ( ish ) 

What is you're average speed over a ride ( not counting motorway obviously).  The reason I ask is that I have just watched a couple of "adventure ride" youtube videos from various parts of the world and if their figures are right, they're doing over 500km on dirt roads in a little over 6 hoursm which means an average speed of around 80kph... for 6 Hrs... on dirt roads...( I'm presuming they're not countin the time spent for stops or filming but only riding time cos otherwise they'd have to be itting speeds upwards of 150km/h much of the time to reach that average.) I don't do that on asphalt! 

So are they riding Gods?  Is it me who's captain slow?  Don't get me wrong, I'm really not bothered by it I just wondered what you lot thought. 

I dunno Chris.....I don't look at speedos that much really.........unless I'm on a motorway or going through a town. Which is pretty rare.

You've seen the places I go.....there's no people, traffic, plod, or speed cameras......and what buildings I see are usually empty.

So I just ride according to what vision I have, and how I feel on any given day.....sometimes quicker, sometimes slower.

Your speeds of between 50 and 60kph (around 30-40 mph I think) seem a bit low to me. I don't think I'm ever lower than 80kph.......unless I've stopped and am building up speed.

Most of the time where I go I'm probably 100-120kph I'd have thought.

If the dirt roads around here are smooth enough - and most are - I do around 60 mph on them. Slower on rough or more technical dirt roads.

Two lane paved I usually do around 80 mph, highways a bit more.

But we have greater distances to cover to get anywhere as well. Can't go too slow or you'll never get there!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I dunno Chris.....I don't look at speedos that much really.........unless I'm on a motorway or going through a town. Which is pretty rare.

You've seen the places I go.....there's no people, traffic, plod, or speed cameras......and what buildings I see are usually empty.

So I just ride according to what vision I have, and how I feel on any given day.....sometimes quicker, sometimes slower.

Your speeds of between 50 and 60kph (around 30-40 mph I think) seem a bit low to me. I don't think I'm ever lower than 80kph.......unless I've stopped and am building up speed.

Most of the time where I go I'm probably 100-120kph I'd have thought.

yeah, but I'm talking an average apeed over a number oh hours Pete, on the decent roads I'm usually riding around 100 - 110kph but over 3 or 4 hours your average would be a lot lower. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MooN said:

yeah, but I'm talking an average apeed over a number oh hours Pete, on the decent roads I'm usually riding around 100 - 110kph but over 3 or 4 hours your average would be a lot lower. 

Haven't got a clue Chris! But then, we ride on very different sorts of roads.....so you can't do an average speed comparison unless we were riding in similar environments.

Last year's trip from Colorado to Tennessee - average over 4,000 miles was just over 61 mph. I'd guess 10% dirt roads on this ride. Top speed is obviously off from lack of gps signal,,  tec.

IMG_0241.JPG

• Like 1

This is a trip i tracked a few years ago all paved roads which included motorways as well as A and B roads, most of the time i stuck around the legal speed limits with stops for food, fuel and toilet, so i think the riding gods are either working their average out wrong or are full of shit. It takes 5 hours to do 400km on a motorway at motorway speeds throw some dirt in and you wont be doing 70mph for long periods unless their the gravel type roads you see out in Oz, or is that just me being a sceptical dick LOL

image.png.85c48701157df186013af9ea42f03840.png 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the UK have found that I always average 50mph and the longer the distance the more likely it is spot on. I may ride faster but the various stops or traffic problems always bring it down to 50. Going in to work is different, I usually do the 50 mile trip in 45 minutes going in (average 66mph??), that's because it is a relatively uncluttered ride with no embuggerances. Coming home it usually takes an hour because of filtering through 5 or 6 miles of traffic before hitting the motorway, so back to the 50mph average again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

This is a trip i tracked a few years ago all paved roads which included motorways as well as A and B roads, most of the time i stuck around the legal speed limits with stops for food, fuel and toilet, so i think the riding gods are either working their average out wrong or are full of shit. It takes 5 hours to do 400km on a motorway at motorway speeds throw some dirt in and you wont be doing 70mph for long periods unless their the gravel type roads you see out in Oz, or is that just me being a sceptical dick LOL

image.png.85c48701157df186013af9ea42f03840.png 

That's what I averaged around Norway. No point in going any faster. On the long stretches of unpaved (roadworks) in Finland I tried to keep it at about 40 as below 30 the bike was all over the place.

It get's difficult to average anything over 50mph on Welsh roads without being a bit of a risk taker. There's too much traffic. When I went up to North Wales during the lockdown for some training, we averaged nearer 60mph as there wasn't much traffic. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, yen_powell said:

In the UK have found that I always average 50mph and the longer the distance the more likely it is spot on. I may ride faster but the various stops or traffic problems always bring it down to 50. Going in to work is different, I usually do the 50 mile trip in 45 minutes going in (average 66mph??), that's because it is a relatively uncluttered ride with no embuggerances. Coming home it usually takes an hour because of filtering through 5 or 6 miles of traffic before hitting the motorway, so back to the 50mph average again.

Exactly!

I can be in North Wales and somehow my GPS will get my arrival time home pretty much spot on.

• Like 1

Bottom line is if your average speed is greater then mine< You;re a fucking lunatic bent on death by dismemberment. If you;re> average speed is below mine: You suck! :littleguy:

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Specs said:

That's what I averaged around Norway. No point in going any faster. On the long stretches of unpaved (roadworks) in Finland I tried to keep it at about 40 as below 30 the bike was all over the place.

It get's difficult to average anything over 50mph on Welsh roads without being a bit of a risk taker. There's too much traffic. When I went up to North Wales during the lockdown for some training, we averaged nearer 60mph as there wasn't much traffic. 

that was our trip to the farmyard a few years ago 

• Like 1

On 30/10/2020 at 18:13, Sir Fallsalot said:

that was our trip to the farmyard a few years ago 

Was it the one where we did the North Wales ‘short cut?’ ??

With my post rally hangover speeds in the rain 30mph seems a bit high. ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to twist the right grip until I saw God then I backed off, but after smacking a deer going 65 mph mid point in a down hill tight  corner in Northern California I have somewhat reformed myself. I take the high speed shit to the track now.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mess said:

I used to twist the right grip until I saw God then I backed off, but after smacking a deer going 65 mph mid point in a down hill tight  corner in Northern California I have somewhat reformed myself. I take the high speed shit to the track now.

You've had your fair share of smacks over the years Eric.......you don't want any more once you get to 60.

Healing takes a very long time.

• Like 1

You are so right about that Pete.

I cannot believe how long it takes for stuff to heal ever since I turned 55. Every year it seems to get worse

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Mess said:

I hit my ickle Muntjac deer at 75mph, it hit my crash bar with its head I think. All I saw was a flash of fur in my headlight on the unlit 60mph road. If I had been obeying the speed limit I would have hit him full on and fallen off. Went back next day and took a picture, because I thought I had dreamt it until I saw the fur stuck down my greasy swing arm and the pain in my leg.

P1060100.jpg

P1060102.jpg

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, yen_powell said:

I hit my ickle Muntjac deer at 75mph, it hit my crash bar with its head I think. All I saw was a flash of fur in my headlight on the unlit 60mph road. If I had been obeying the speed limit I would have hit him full on and fallen off. Went back next day and took a picture, because I thought I had dreamt it until I saw the fur stuck down my greasy swing arm and the pain in my leg.

P1060100.jpg

P1060102.jpg

Oh deer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2