My argan tree

Pedro

35 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I don’t know but don’t you need a layer of clingfilm or something like that? 

I folded the paper on top and dripped a few drops of water to make it wet. Then closed the tupperwares. I'll just open then to check for moistness every day or two days, and in a week or two they should be sprouting roots. That's how I did with the previous tree.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Going to try to get a few more trees to keep my little one company.

Today I gently cracked open the few argan seeds I picked of the ground in Morocco, three or four were rotten, a couple were shriveled, but managed to get a few viable ones, two or three look proper nice and fat. Success rate is very much connected to the seed's size, the bigger the better. Now to leave them in wet paper and see what happens in a few days.

In about 20 years I should start to get proper production enough for a few ml of oil  :classic_laugh:

IMG_9466.thumb.jpeg.7d77a2d09bcfc8739f6db464108c6cc9.jpeg

IMG_9467.thumb.jpeg.5de15b7692092b124d593364ac8175e9.jpeg

IMG_9468.thumb.jpeg.5651fa09d515f42c2d22392b1f52658a.jpeg

That takes me back to school when we used to grow seeds on damp blotting paper 👍

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I was only wondering about that today 😂

Two or three died on the first day, but there’s a couple looking really nice.

Don’t know if there is a slower growing tree to be interested in :classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Two or three died on the first day, but there’s a couple looking really nice.

Don’t know if there is a slower growing tree to be interested in :classic_laugh:

So cool.
So there’s no bit where you have to drop the seed to a colder temp for a prolonged time before planting?

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

So cool.
So there’s no bit where you have to drop the seed to a colder temp for a prolonged time before planting?

From here they’re sprouting those little tails, when they grow bigger I’ll just put them in a tiny container with dirt and tail will become the first pair of leaves. Those leaves will break out to the surface and from between them the tree starts to grow.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

So cool.

Maybe that bit was riding over to here on my bike? And also the really cold temperatures overnight from where I picked them, that was cold.

• Like 3

I grow these each year....after the flower has died away I collect the seeds 20220603_105646.thumb.jpg.9db92d047b690daeec3439ada1ea3593.jpgwhich I have to put in the freezer for 2 week, if i dont the seeds will not germinate.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Clive said:

I grow these each year....after the flower has died away I collect the seeds 20220603_105646.thumb.jpg.9db92d047b690daeec3439ada1ea3593.jpgwhich I have to put in the freezer for 2 week, if i dont the seeds will not germinate.

Oh yeah Clive , where do grow your weed 😉😂

• Haha 1

Argania is a genus of flowering plants containing the sole species Argania spinosa, known as argan, a tree endemic to the calcareous semidesert Sous valley of southwestern Morocco and to the region of Tindouf in southwestern Algeria. Argan trees grow to 8–10 m high and live up to approximately 200 years.

Better think about getting a goat or two.

image_2023-01-15_163734471.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, zzzak said:

Argania is a genus of flowering plants containing the sole species Argania spinosa, known as argan, a tree endemic to the calcareous semidesert Sous valley of southwestern Morocco and to the region of Tindouf in southwestern Algeria. Argan trees grow to 8–10 m high and live up to approximately 200 years.

Better think about getting a goat or two.

image_2023-01-15_163734471.png

I hate that tourist trap tree. They push the goats up there and then don’t let them down. It’s by the side of the road near Marrakech heading west so tourists stop for pictures before they see the goats aren’t actually eating but on boarded up small platforms. 

They do go up those trees though, just not to pose for pictures like that, and it’s quite the thing to see specially on cliff sides.

• Like 2

On 13/01/2023 at 16:13, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I love those, what are they?

Sorry for the late reply.......They are Paeony Poppies...they grow about 1 metre tall...look very nice, but do not last very long, wind or rain soon destroys them...but look very nice when in full flower.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Sorry for the late reply.......They are Paeony Poppies...they grow about 1 metre tall...look very nice, but do not last very long, wind or rain soon destroys them...but look very nice when in full flower.

No worries, it’s a forum getting a reply at any point is a win 😆

I love them, might get myself some. Would they grow in the shade? It’s just the sunny areas here are completely exposed to the elements and being near the sea that makes for strong winds.

17 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

No worries, it’s a forum getting a reply at any point is a win 😆

I love them, might get myself some. Would they grow in the shade? It’s just the sunny areas here are completely exposed to the elements and being near the sea that makes for strong winds.

The ones on our front garden are in the sun most of the day, but they do suffer if it is windy.....no shelter.

The ones on the back are mostly in the shade of the trees and 6ft high fence, but they grow just fine.

When  ours are nearly to full height i put a cane support next to them for support.....the stalk/stems are easily broken by the wind.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Clive said:

The ones on our front garden are in the sun most of the day, but they do suffer if it is windy.....no shelter.

The ones on the back are mostly in the shade of the trees and 6ft high fence, but they grow just fine.

When  ours are nearly to full height i put a cane support next to them for support.....the stalk/stems are easily broken by the wind.

Thanks Clive. Might order myself some seeds this afternoon 👍

• Like 1

As said, after the flowers have died away and the heads have dried out I collect the seeds and freeze them for a while. 

It is not absolutely necessary to do this.....but if you let nature take its course and let the seeds fall into the soil some will germinate.....but I have found that it will be not very many.....one year we only had 4 flowers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thanks Clive. Might order myself some seeds this afternoon 👍

Now is the time to start germinating/growing them....i try to stagger the germination a little so they do not all flower at the same time.

• Like 1

I also grow a Scarlet variety too, they look almost black, but only last in flower for a couple of days, they flower but the petals fall off in a slightest breeze, I only grow them on the rear garden next to a fence panel for (wind) protection, sometime they last 1 week I flower.

• Like 1