well that didn't go well...

MooN

rode to Sens, an hour north of home for an "off road training day" 

1st exercise, using the centre stand, now my bike doesnt have one ( though i've done it a million times before on previous bikes) so I used the instructors bike,  GS1200. I now have a dislocated left shoulder, have ridden an hour home one handed and am now waiting for Madame Moon to come home and take me to A &E.

Bugger!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

What the hell did he ask you to do that requires that kind of strength?

Just wait till you get to our age and the simple things put you under...:littleguy:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, MooN said:

rode to Sens, an hour north of home for an "off road training day" 

1st exercise, using the centre stand, now my bike doesnt have one ( though i've done it a million times before on previous bikes) so I used the instructors bike,  GS1200. I now have a dislocated left shoulder, have ridden an hour home one handed and am now waiting for Madame Moon to come home and take me to A &E.

Bugger!

Shit.....that's bad!

Heavy bikes in later years isn't a good combination.

19 minutes ago, Pedro said:

What the hell did he ask you to do that requires that kind of strength?

I think the point was that you shouldn't need strength... if you do it poperly, which I clearly didn't. odd thing is that i put me weight on the centre stand foot, my right hand on the rear grab rail of the bike and the left hand on the handlebar to steady it so when lifting, any pull or force would have been through the right hand to ppull the bike up and back, but somehow my LEFT shoulder went POP about halfway through the manouver. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, MooN said:

I think the point was that you shouldn't need strength... if you do it poperly, which I clearly didn't. odd thing is that i put me weight on the centre stand foot, my right hand on the rear grab rail of the bike and the left hand on the handlebar to steady it so when lifting, any pull or force would have been through the right hand to ppull the bike up and back, but somehow my LEFT shoulder went POP about halfway through the manouver. 

It’s getting the bike’s momentum going back and up that helps you do that. Like most things, when you do it right it doesn’t take any effort, but they’re a bitch if you don’t.

Maybe you might have joint problems?

• Like 1

My Himalayan is my first bike with a centre stand, it took me a bit to get it.  I was trying to lift the bike, with no luck. ??   Then all of sudden I figured it out......still looks a bit silly trying to get it off the stand without touching the ground...need to learn to do it while off the bike....getting there.

23 hours ago, BusBoy said:

Too much time working on awkward hard to reach places on a boat with a spanner will have you working the shoulder joint incorrectly. His latest round on the boats is my bet. I ended up with a bursitis and frozen shoulder from messing about like this and damaged the other shoulder too.

spot on. since the back op i am not supposed to be involved in the hands on crawling around engines in bilges, but due to the covid bollocks we have no staff so it's been down to me. I have 2 fucked shoulders ( one now seriously screwed) and a hairline crack in my left knee for which I have already done an MRI scan and heve an  appointment with a surgeon mid october. The latest bout of endless hours and stupid positions has the whole organism stretched to breaking point. 

it broke.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, MooN said:

spot on. since the back op i am not supposed to be involved in the hands on crawling around engines in bilges, but due to the covid bollocks we have no staff so it's been down to me. I have 2 fucked shoulders ( one now seriously screwed) and a hairline crack in my left knee for which I have already done an MRI scan and heve an  appointment with a surgeon mid october. The latest bout of endless hours and stupid positions has the whole organism stretched to breaking point. 

it broke.

You won't be able to ride for a while then Chris?

22 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

My Himalayan is my first bike with a centre stand, it took me a bit to get it.  I was trying to lift the bike, with no luck. ??   Then all of sudden I figured it out......still looks a bit silly trying to get it off the stand without touching the ground...need to learn to do it while off the bike....getting there.

1st gear, engine running, rock back an then forward, as it comes off the stand, clutch out and away you go... apparently not an orthodox method :thud: nor recommended by the experts :wank4az: but i did it like tht for years with the transalp...:dancebanana:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

You won't be able to ride for a while then Chris?

dunno,  doc reckons I could be back at work in a week so if I can work, I can ride...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Skippy said:

I truly feel your pain mate as I’ve dislocated my left shoulder five times over the past 40 years. ‘Kin hurts don’t it?

Sounds like fucking Wankers Doom to me Ray! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 15/09/2020 at 11:15, Pedro said:

Does that doctor know what you do?

Nope. Didn't tell him either. One of the reasons im so worn out is that since June the boss and I have been working flat out to simply try and keep the company afloat and survive into next year. If the company goes under then i'll have to find another job, at 49 with the physical health problems I have and being a foreigner ( and english with the Brexit bollox currently going on) my CV is not particularly attractive and jobs are scarce with the economie screwed by covid.  The work load has now eased as we have almost no clients now so it's just putting the boats to bed for the winter which I can do at my own pace then probably furlough till december I expect. I'll just have to deal with it untill either it gets better or it breaks completely, when it will be boyonf my control anyway. 

• Like 5

On 14/09/2020 at 22:10, boboneleg said:

OMG, you couldn't make that up.  Best not bother with the rest of the course then Chris ?

well, next session is 4th october and then not again till march next year as the off road bits will get very slippy with the winter weather but more to the point the "chasseurs" will be out in the woods, pissed as usual and shooting rifles at anything that moves, (deer, boar, dogs, dog walkers, joggers, motorcyc;lists or each other, they ain't picky...) 

I am wondering if I should try and swap to an "on road" riding and handling course a sbeing possibly less pysically demanding. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MooN said:

Nope. Didn't tell him either. One of the reasons im so worn out is that since June the boss and I have been working flat out to simply try and keep the company afloat and survive into next year. If the company goes under then i'll have to find another job, at 49 with the physical health problems I have and being a foreigner ( and english with the Brexit bollox currently going on) my CV is not particularly attractive and jobs are scarce with the economie screwed by covid.  The work load has now eased as we have almost no clients now so it's just putting the boats to bed for the winter which I can do at my own pace then probably furlough till december I expect. I'll just have to deal with it untill either it gets better or it breaks completely, when it will be boyonf my control anyway. 

It's a bad state of affairs Chris! I won't get into the Brexit thing as we have a rule here of no politics.......but I don't think anybody's in any doubt where I stand on it.

I'm somewhat shielded from the fallout of everything because I work for myself.......and the internet keeps running regardless of Brexit, Covid etc.

In your position, and many other Brits in Europe including my sons in NL and Poland, life has thrown something at us that we could never have foreseen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MooN said:

That's a very commendable and oldschool way of thinking, hang in there.