Michelin Wants To Throw Money At Riders To Tour France On A Motorcycle

Road Runner

michelin-moto-france.jpg

In the motorcycle industry, the name Michelin is most closely associated with tires. The French manufacturer’s products are regularly featured on the lists of best car and motorcycle tires on the market and in 2017, the company was even named official MotoGP tire supplier until 2023.   

Did you know that beyond rubber and compounds, Michelin also produces a series of touring guides that focus on worldwide accommodation and restaurant recommendations? The appropriately named “Michelin Guides” series has become a staple of any fine diner’s traveling kit and its three-star rating system is now the ultimate culinary achievement awarded to the most reputable restaurants in the world.  

Michelin’s travel division is now working on a new motorcycle touring guide that will map great riding roads with, of course, a few good addresses to check out. The first location on the list of Michelin Moto guides is France and the manufacturer turned to social media to recruit two-wheel travelers to help contribute to the book.   

If you like to ride, travel, and write, then Michelin has a job for you! On its Instagram and Facebook accounts, the company invited its followers to apply for the job by sharing a motorcycle road trip picture along with an interesting traveling anecdote. Michelin will then contact the candidates selected for the experience.   

The job requires the candidates to explore France by motorcycle from July to September 2020, and document the experience for the guide set to be published in March 2021. The hard work will obviously be compensated. The goal is to build a solid pool of rider-friendly eats, sleeps, and rides recommendations.    

Of course, you have to be in France and have access to your own motorcycle to make this happen. Cue the sad trombone. However, consider this: while most of us won’t have access to the French gig, we can certainly hope the series will expand to other countries. Maybe we’ll eventually be offered the opportunity to explore North America. Fingers crossed...   

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Source

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Now that's a gig!

But @MooN has to go back to work so he's out of the picture!

naah, good on the surface only,  I've looked into it when it came up on the french sites weeks ago. As far as I can make out from michelin it is effectively 3 months, so not exactly a career more a holiday job, you provide and pay for everything and are paid by michelin.... oh, wait a minuite, you will be paid by michelin ( futur tense) the authors rights to whatever of your writings does eventually get published.  now I might be pissed off with my job sometimes but it does have certain benefits that i'm not able to forgo for some promise of possible futur payment if they use my material and if they publish and if the book sells etc etc.   if their motorcycle guide bears any resemblance to their touring /food/ hotel guide then it will be overpriced, overhyped, self serving elitist drivel.

I will freely admit that I heartily dislike ans despise the michelin food guide and their entire approach to the food and hotel industry.

However, if someone is free for 3 months and can do a bit of travel prose then more power to their elbow if they want to try their hand It could start a vocation for someone.but from what i've read to  Michelin wanting to throw money at riders" I would suggest that there is a liberal use of " creative jonalism"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Yeh....sounds like they're looking for an amiable idiot to freeload off!

well, let's just say that they're not in the habit of being generous ( or just, or moral come to that...)

• Like 1

From the title of the thread, and the first picture, I imagined Michelin would have a bike riding in from of the Tour de France peloton throwing money at them :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1