Question for the Mechanical Types here!

XTreme

No, above 5250 rpm torque is dropping and you are relying on horsepower alone which is fine if the motor isn't under a lot of load. Also at some point you will surpass peak horsepower. The engine is highly inefficient at high rpm as soon as it is under load it's all over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buckster said:

No, above 5250 rpm torque is dropping and you are relying on horsepower alone which is fine if the motor isn't under a lot of load. Also at some point you will surpass peak horsepower. The engine is highly inefficient at high rpm as soon as it is under load it's all over.

Why 5250 rpm? Wouldn't that figure vary on each bike?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It will but I wouldn't get to hung up on what video matey says ride normally, don't lug  (really low revs in high gear) your bike and all should be fine.    He is right technically.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, XTreme said:

5252 rpm is where the torque and horsepower curves cross on petrol engines. Between there and 6000 rpm the torque will start to drop away. Saul is correct about avoiding lugging the motor but between 4000 and 6000 rpm is the sweet spot. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Saul said:

It will but I wouldn't get to hung up on what video matey says ride normally, don't lug  (really low revs in high gear) your bike and all should be fine.    He is right technically.  

I wouldn't lug a bike anyway......I'm more interested in revving the shit out of a bike cos it's good for it.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I wouldn't lug a bike anyway......I'm more interested in revving the shit out of a bike cos it's good for it.

I think peak torque is around 6500 rpm and peak power around 8500 rpm on the CB500 motor, I don't see the point in revving the shit out of it constantly.  A good thrash now and again shouldn't hurt it but don't understand why you would need to do it all the time or why that would be a positive thing to do.   

I take all his videos with a pinch of salt , he recently tried to convince us all that Goretex is shit.............  Oh yeah, I'll stick to goretex mate while you just carry on getting wet :wave:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not a problem with the scoot, can't over rev it, can hold it at high (for a single) revs though, which is not a good idea to do for any length of time, and at all times it is in the right gear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

I saw a vid by Fortnine about using the wrong revs!

He seems to be saying that using higher revs is much better for the engine?

Do you agree with that?

It really is bike dependent there are so many variables to what is right or wrong.

Take a 125 for instance that will live in the upper parts of its rev range because its of a small capacity where as a bike with an engine at the bigger ends of the scale will 1. Rev lower and 2. Not need to be revved as hard to get the same results. 

It all too depends on the types of engines that the bike uses, single, parallel twin or v twin and a 3cyl or 4 cylinder they will all make their peak torque and power at massively different points of their respective rev ranges.

Long and short is change gear where your bike feels sweetest and don't take any notice of shit like that

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, busabeast said:

It really is bike dependent there are so many variables to what is right or wrong.

Take a 125 for instance that will live in the upper parts of its rev range because its of a small capacity where as a bike with an engine at the bigger ends of the scale will 1. Rev lower and 2. Not need to be revved as hard to get the same results. 

It all too depends on the types of engines that the bike uses, single, parallel twin or v twin and a 3cyl or 4 cylinder they will all make their peak torque and power at massively different points of their respective rev ranges.

Long and short is change gear where your bike feels sweetest and don't take any notice of shit like that

That's what I was going to ask actually.

Cos I couldn't understand how 5250 could be the optimum for a 650GS that revs to 7K, and also for something like an R6 which revs to about 14K.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That's what I was going to ask actually.

Cos I couldn't understand how 5250 could be the optimum for a 650GS that revs to 7K, and also for something like an R6 which revs to about 14K.

As I said there's so many different variables it's a complete waste of time to say where its best to change gear, different bikes of that same model like 2 different cb500x's may ride differently and probably would want to use a different part of the rev range to be happiest, so all anyone can really say about it is you have to know that specific bike to know where its in its sweet place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

The bloke tends to make statements that just cause a fuss, that way he gets more streams and more cash 💰 

I remember that riding one he did.....where he was telling people to lean their body on the outside when cornering.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

The bloke tends to make statements that just cause a fuss, that way he gets more streams and more cash 💰 

Theym all clickbaiting nowadays.  Dumbing down and sensationalization gets attention.  🙄

• Like 1