It's Quadlock time!

XTreme

The support bracket arrived today, but the universal adapter doesn't get here till Tuesday.

So I thought it might be an idea to get the bracket on the bike to see how it fits!

Unfortunately I had to call for the wife's help as soon as I opened the box to undo the screws on the bracket itself.

I wanted to site it on the mobile bar but it was too thin to match the existing spacers they provided. So I got the wife to cut me some foam padding to take up the gap.

20230922_172424-min.jpg.620200878b750f6e61b4686c2c763a33.jpg

I put the other part of the bracket on it and it seemed to be fine initially.

20230922_174004-min.jpg.e2cbaa4c236f65497b32e583bedfc946.jpg

However, any movement like bumpy surfaces etc causes it to move a bit.......and that's without even having a phone attached! And mine's a biggie at 6.9" and it's not exactly light.

So no option other than the handlebars......and now it's really solid! Nothing is going to cause that to slip.

20230922_185607-min.jpg.f234c8ed7eb8501dce9c3c57bd02e06b.jpg

Just got to wait for the phone bracket now.......then I'm ready to cross continents! Weather permitting of course!

easy rider GIF

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The support bracket arrived today, but the universal adapter doesn't get here till Tuesday.

So I thought it might be an idea to get the bracket on the bike to see how it fits!

Unfortunately I had to call for the wife's help as soon as I opened the box to undo the screws on the bracket itself.

I wanted to site it on the mobile bar but it was too thin to match the existing spacers they provided. So I got the wife to cut me some foam padding to take up the gap.

20230922_172424-min.jpg.620200878b750f6e61b4686c2c763a33.jpg

I put the other part of the bracket on it and it seemed to be fine initially.

20230922_174004-min.jpg.e2cbaa4c236f65497b32e583bedfc946.jpg

However, any movement like bumpy surfaces etc causes it to move a bit.......and that's without even having a phone attached! And mine's a biggie at 6.9" and it's not exactly light.

So no option other than the handlebars......and now it's really solid! Nothing is going to cause that to slip.

20230922_185607-min.jpg.f234c8ed7eb8501dce9c3c57bd02e06b.jpg

Just got to wait for the phone bracket now.......then I'm ready to cross continents! Weather permitting of course!

easy rider GIF

I'm surprised you can lift it at 6.9in especially in your fragile weakened state

• Haha 3

You can get rid of the little arm between the piece that hold onto the handlebar and the bit that holds onto the phone, and just assemble one to the other for a cleaner look.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

You can get rid of the little arm between the piece that hold onto the handlebar and the bit that holds onto the phone, and just assemble one to the other for a cleaner look.

Are you talking about the blue bit Pedro?

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Are you talking about the blue bit Pedro?

No, there's a bit that wraps around the handlebar, an arm, and then the bit with the blue bit that clips onto the phone. You can leave the arm out and bolt the two end together without it.

Looks like this except mine has the vibration dampener:

IMG_8119.thumb.jpeg.04944dd5f579331cf2c8b38bef07221c.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saul said:

It's looking good Pete, but you should think about getting the vibration dampener or you may ruin your phones camera.  Google it.  

Had phones on bikes for years Saul......never an issue! I think it's more of a problem with IPhones.

But this phone is over 3 years old and I'll probably replace it soon anyway.

• Like 1

I cut up a bit of inner tube the same width as the clamp and wind it around until I get to the right thickness, it doesn't really show, acts as a vibration dampener and stops the bars from getting marked, which only matters a bit if you want to sell it and the accessories you remove leave ugly marks.

Or if you care about vibrations quad lock make a dedicated vibration dampener for about £15

@Saul I never had a problem with any iPhones image stabilisation being damaged until I got to iPhone 13 and then sure enough it was suddenly f*cked!

At least I now have a dedicated satnav phone 😆

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

@Saul I never had a problem with any iPhones image stabilisation being damaged until I got to iPhone 13 and then sure enough it was suddenly f*cked!

At least I now have a dedicated satnav phone 😆

Me to I have an old iphone 6s I use for nav,  I do have a dampener as well but if the old phone dies I have a drawer full of the kids cast offs to use if need be.  👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, XTreme said:

Universal adaptor arrived today......but I haven't had time to sort out another phone yet!

Quadlock inserted itself as an advert in a youtube short I was watching (how do they know these things?!) and it was showing a natty little mount that screws into the cover, a clever solution for those short on bar space. https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/products/motorcycle-brake-reservoir-mount?variant=42696740798639

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Saul said:

I thought about getting one as my CB's bars are quite congested, tis a bit spendy though at £55 plus shipping.   

It is pricey but it’s one of the better solutions I’ve seen. 

Assuming the reservoir housing is up to having a carbuncle attached and high speed winds applied 😬

I suppose the worse that could happen is it’s not and you need a new reservoir, the reviews are positive though. 

If I get one I’ll probably go for Peak design cos although they’re more expensive than quadlock (£80 for the mount 😱) the case is a slim, normal width one and its MagSafe compatible. Taking a case on and off to charge it is never gonna to happen.

• Like 2