Starting my XR400

Pedro

So, had a while to spare in the afternoon, and between calls went and took the drain plug from my XR400R's carb, to see the state of things inside.

Nothing looks as dirt bike cool as a 80 or 90's Honda, I think.

IMG_0758.thumb.jpeg.16802aa642a6d78013beb9078488ae33.jpeg

Looked like moss inside, the bottom was sort of crusty but the walls of it looked like the greenish yellow was a part of it.

IMG_0754.thumb.jpeg.22a1aba33208fef94923afe972d77afc.jpeg

IMG_0755.thumb.jpeg.c649c702a755aa020c484d33f14785c7.jpeg

This is was was encrusted in the bottom.

IMG_0756.thumb.jpeg.f4648210f360fdfc96a9a5fb19780654.jpeg

Looking more normal, but I ended up getting rid of the smaller bits of it still in this picture. Washed it using the petrol that I used to flush the carb and a toothbrush.

IMG_0757.thumb.jpeg.2148fe1f5c8f47182a32790d38a98baa.jpeg

The fuel coming out had a few particles but looked ok to me. Nothing that my phone might be able to pic up on pictures.

I gave up kicking and kicking since it wasn't making any of the "about to start" sounds it usually makes. Then resorted to pushing it up my driveway, which is the same height as a full flight of stairs, and bump starting it down. The first time it started, in third gear with the tick over quite high and helped by the slippery ground and new front tire I almost ended up on the wall :classic_laugh:

It manages to run for a while on choke, but can't get it off choke without stalling. I feel it's not running well either, sounds harsh and spluttery. A few more tries and I did get her to start on the kick a few times, but not for long. Pushed it up that drive more times than I feel comfortable counting :classic_laugh:

I did think of getting it out on the street, there's a loooong way down from my door, ideal for bump starting it a few times and put some heat into the engine, but if it ends up not running I can never push it back up that far and steep.

So, after a while I though that the little black adjuster that helps adjust tickover might have been too high, ended up on no adjust, so just put in 1 or 2 turns on that. Then foolishly tried to start her a few times with fuel on reserve, and fuel closed. Eventually it ran for maybe 30 seconds to a minute, on choke, but just dies like it runs out of fuel, accelerator does nothing to help it keep going.

The phone started ringing and I came inside. Will try again tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Sounds like the idle jet bunged up too. If it's the carb I'm thinking of I'm guessing you'll have to remove the float bowl to get to that. Might be time for a good ultrasonic bath.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

Sounds like the idle jet bunged up too. If it's the carb I'm thinking of I'm guessing you'll have to remove the float bowl to get to that. Might be time for a good ultrasonic bath.

Yeah, seems I might as well order some rubber things for the carb and then take it sort of apart to clean.

Ultrasonic bath? I know what that is but I think I'll have to travel to the future to find someone with that in my neighborhood. 

• Like 1

I concur with Fred, Ian and Dave.

It will need a good clean out (ultrasonic cleaner) and possibly a rebuild kit.

Try not to use Chinese parts on eBay as the jet sizes are usually miles out 

8 hours ago, Marcel said:

I've had amazing results with boiling in vinegar...if you're comfortable disassembling everything...boil all metal ..Jets...for 10 min....comes out just like new..

That's cool, I'll do that. I'm ok with cooking so what can go wrong ... :classic_unsure:

8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That's cool, I'll do that. I'm ok with cooking so what can go wrong ... :classic_unsure:

well, it could end up looking like horse cock casserole.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Buckster said:

well, it could end up looking like horse cock casserole.

If it ends up running as good as that tastes, it's a result!

Will look into buying a kit of the sealants for this before taking it apart. The point being that if I disassemble it, clean it and get it back together the next day it might stand a 50% change of working, if I disassemble it now and try in a month time to put it back together that 50% will drop significantly :classic_unsure:

I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to get a Mikuni pump carb, are they easier to start? Is it a direct replacement?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pedro said:

If it ends up running as good as that tastes, it's a result!

Will look into buying a kit of the sealants for this before taking it apart. The point being that if I disassemble it, clean it and get it back together the next day it might stand a 50% change of working, if I disassemble it now and try in a month time to put it back together that 50% will drop significantly :classic_unsure:

I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to get a Mikuni pump carb, are they easier to start? Is it a direct replacement?

Make sure the kit you buy is E10 compatible.

49 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Make sure the kit you buy is E10 compatible.

I will try to buy either from keihin or Honda. Most fuel I buy still is E5, though.

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I will try to buy either from keihin or Honda. Most fuel I buy still is E5, though.

I would still go for E10 compatibility as ethanol is so corrosive to some rubbers and plastics, eventually premium fuel will be E10 as well.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

Did you get it running after Pedro or did you give up

Gave up. I went away Fred, and since then didn’t go back home.

I will be there tomorrow and monday and give it another try, but since then haven’t bought any stuff to work on the carb. Will do that up north when in Porto, don’t want to take the carb out and disassemble to them reassemble 3 months later, I would surely end up with a carb plus half of the parts without knowing where they go :classic_laugh:

• Like 2