Cornwall Kawasaki Center December 22

Saul

A break in the weather seemed like to good an opportunity to miss this morning so I decided to ride down to Lanner to have a look around Cornwall Kawasaki Center.  It's a dealership I have never been to before and a decent 35 mile ride from my place.    A joy to be out in the sunshine for a change, the road were relatively clear until I got to Truro which was gridlocked as is to often the case.  I think specifically today was the last day of school for several schools and obviously the Christmas shopping factor.    Once I was through that snarl up I headed down towards Falmouth, until I got to the Treluswell roundabout.   As a side point I think they should change the name of Treluswell to what's that fucking smell because I don't know what it is and you can't miss it, stinking!    

At Treluswell you turn right and follow the road to Lanner which is the last bastion of civilisation before you hit the Zombie apocalypse that is Redruth.    Go there on a Saturday night and you would understand.  

I have to say I was very impressed with the salesman at the Kawasaki center, he was very good at his job, after 10 mins or so of supposedly idle chat, he new I had no finance on my bike, where and who I bought it from, how much I paid and many other details about me before I even realised it.   Don't mind but it struck me he was a very slick operator and very good at his job.    Even after I finished looking around and went to leave he was keen for me to stay for a coffee.  

There were lots of nice bikes there, several I could have bought and been very happy with, even though I only went for a look and reason to have a ride.  

The hade a lovely old Z1000 but at £12K  it was a tad spendy but I do recognise that is what they fetch nowadays.  I was more surprised at the GT550, the despatch riders darling, for £3995, that strikes me as quite a lot for an old workhorse no matter how good.  I can't see that it ever was a poster bike.

They did have a Ducati Scrambler that took my eye, very nice looking bike.  A very smart BMW1200GS.  Respect to Pedro but that bike is just way to big for me, much as i like that sort of thing I could not imagine riding something that big daily.   

I had a long loving look at the new Z900RS, if I had the disposable cash and followed my heart I could see myself on one.  Just the cut of my jib.

Finally what would probably be the best upgrade for me was a traded in Versys 650, 6 months old with 3k on it and every extra.    See how good matey was at his job I am even talking like I want to change and I genuinely don't.  I know it's not popular here but I do like the soft friendly non intimidatory nature of my Himalayan.  It has to frugal bimble factor which appeals.  Its paid for and I can afford to run it, it is guaranteed for over 2 more years it would be daft to change.     I blame Pedros brilliant Moroccan ride report for planting the seed of doubt that I need to do more long distance adventures.   

Now I am off to have a doze before work to night and think of anything but bikes.   CkC.thumb.jpg.7d5085da4a5bd36430d8de1bfbff869e.jpgIMG_8495.thumb.jpg.8f8f3955183e77a97c6c69a83c4f0021.jpg

z1000.jpg

Ducati.jpg

1200gs.jpg

900rs.jpg

z900rs2.jpg

Versys.jpg

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thanks Saul. Some nice looking bikes there. The Himalayan isn't specifically disliked here (apart from by Pete 😉), it has been a commonly owned bikes by members 😂

Yeah I don't really care if people like it or not, I do,  but the point for me is that I think I would want something more powerful in the future.   

I want to start traveling a little and building up the distance in time and there is the seed to buy something more powerful eventually.   To give the salesman I met today his due, he saw it 🤣 I must be unintentionally giving off some sort of a I want a bigger bike vibe. 🤨  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saul said:

Yeah I don't really care if people like it or not, I do,  but the point for me is that I think I would want something more powerful in the future.   

I want to start traveling a little and building up the distance in time and there is the seed to buy something more powerful eventually.   To give the salesman I met today his due, he saw it 🤣 I must be unintentionally giving off some sort of a I want a bigger bike vibe. 🤨  

Bit of a change there Saul, prior to this you were saying you were done with all that distance riding and powerful bikes, guess the ride report and bimbling about has got to you?! Welcome to a slippery slope 😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saul said:

650 Strom would be a perfect fit for you Saul!

• Like 1

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Bit of a change there Saul, prior to this you were saying you were done with all that distance riding and powerful bikes, guess the ride report and bimbling about has got to you?! Welcome to a slippery slope 😂

Yep well observed, I had lost the urge and I thought I was done,  funnily enough two wheels is addictive and I think I had forgotten or chose not to remember that in the daily grind.    Trying to convince myself maybe. 

Currently the internal debate is whether I should be sensible and have one bike or go against what I believe about garage queens and have two 🥴

• Haha 1

Just now, Saul said:

Yep well observed, I had lost the urge and I thought I was done,  funnily enough two wheels is addictive and I think I had forgotten or chose not to remember that in the daily grind.    Trying to convince myself maybe. 

Currently the internal debate is whether I should be sensible and have one bike or go against what I believe about garage queens and have two 🥴

Pah is that even a question? 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

650 Strom would be a perfect fit for you Saul!

I have a mate at work with a Strom and Tiger, you can guess I may have heard that already 🤣

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Pah is that even a question? 😂

Tis for an over thinker like me 🤣  My Mrs knows, I was talking to her about it, her response was buy it, she knows which way the winds blows with me.     We have been together 30 years.  🥰

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Nah just not some snore fest he's likely to fall asleep riding.. or looking at.. or talking about.

The 650 Strom is one of the best bikes ever made!

Brilliant motor!

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The 650 Strom is one of the best bikes ever made!

Brilliant motor!

I was talking about your next likely suggestion stop after the Strom wasn't a hit. The sort of bike you meet the nicest people on, well until some deserted building rotting carcass chaser bought one. 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Saul said:

Tis for an over thinker like me 🤣  My Mrs knows, I was talking to her about it, her response was buy it, she knows which way the winds blows with me.     We have been together 30 years.  🥰

Congrats on that. I think I've been with Mr Slowly 30 years, not sure I'll ask him later on. 

So is there any second particular second bikes that are leaping out in your direction?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I was talking about your next likely suggestion stop after the Strom wasn't a hit. The sort of bike you meet the nicest people on, well until some deserted building rotting carcass chaser bought one. 

He could do a lot worse.....but as power seems to be a priority then the Strom would be a better fit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saul said:

I blame Pedros brilliant Moroccan ride report for planting the seed of doubt that I need to do more long distance adventures.   

If you end up trading, kindly ask for an address so I can send them my commissions invoice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, XTreme said:

He could do a lot worse.....but as power seems to be a priority then the Strom would be a better fit.

As the aesthetics are important to him (ie he's not a fan of the plastic look) I reckon they won't be top of the list. Could imagine Saul talking himself back into BMW!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you can aford one, go for a ride on a GS, post 2015, and see how you like it.

Then ride a Strom 650 and see if that’s also a fit for travelling. I think a Strom 650 would be my choice for a cheaper bike compared to mine, the modern ones appeal to me. 

• Like 2

Well I saw my first Z900RS in the flesh today......and I wasn't impressed!

They look good in pics, but when you're up close and personal they look like a fat, stubby lump.

Only Kawasaki could take a legendary style from 50 years ago and then fucking regress it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Well I saw my first Z900RS in the flesh today......and I wasn't impressed!

They look good in pics, but when you're up close and personal they look like a fat, stubby lump.

Only Kawasaki could take a legendary style from 50 years ago and then fucking regress it!

I sort of agree, but when you see the one side by side with the original, there was one next to a classic z1000 yesterday the difference is not massive.   The one thing that sticks out like a real eyesore is the radiator, they just don't look right on a retro styled bike.   

• Like 1