Phil Read!

XTreme

RIP ..... he was a regular  in a bmw dealers in Tonbridge ,  my dad knew the manager who said he was an arsole... said he came in one time took his old boots off ,  took a brand new pair off the shelf then put his old ones in their place and fucked off with him... his bit of celebrity  status went to his head, next time he came in manager said pay for em and gave him a bollocking

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hehehe. Years ago our local tory mp used to arrive at a place and put whatever he fancied in his car boot. Smooth as you like as if it was a genuine mistake knowing no-one would dare challenge him but no-ones stupid enough to believe they ended up down on merch accidentally! 😆

I think his sons now an MP who represents the tories and something to do with motorcycling? Wigan?

Yep here is. I remember him coming to our 6th form comp with his dad to lecture us. Couldn't hide his disgust at the sight of the poor people, sneered a lot.

But if he's not a twat about bikes he can have a second chance 😆

https://www.uknmc.org/news/parliament-debates-motorcycling

32 minutes ago, Six30 said:

RIP ..... he was a regular  in a bmw dealers in Tonbridge ,  my dad knew the manager who said he was an arsole... said he came in one time took his old boots off ,  took a brand new pair off the shelf then put his old ones in their place and fucked off with him... his bit of celebrity  status went to his head, next time he came in manager said pay for em and gave him a bollocking

I never had a lot of time for him because of what he did to Bill Ivy. Neither did Yamaha!

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

What did he do?

Bill Ivy was the original Barry Sheene in terms of lifestyle and flamboyance!

spacer.png

"A colourful, flamboyant character with a fearless riding style, Bill Ivy epitomised the swinging sixties. Although he was seldom out of the headlines and gained something of a reputation as a hellraiser, Ivy always produced the results on the track. 

The climax to his career came in 1968 in the duels he had, both on and off track, with team-mate Phil Read. Following Ivy's 125cc world championship win in 1967, the Yamaha factory decided Ivy should win both 125 and 250 crowns in 1968. Ivy persuaded Yamaha to let Read win the 125 championship. This was typical of Bill's sense of fair play. As Yamaha were likely to pull out of racing at the end of the season, Read ignored team orders in the latter part of the season and won both championships.

This caused a great rift between the two riders. Yamaha did withdraw from racing for the 1969 season, only to return after Bill's death. It is noteworthy that they had said in 1969 they would like Bill Ivy to return to them. Following Bill's death, the natural choice would have been Phil Read, but they chose another rider instead.

Extremely upset at Phil Read's attitude, Ivy announced his retirement and promptly decided to go Formula 2 car racing instead in 1969. Nevertheless, he did return to the GP scene in 1969, mainly to pay his way in car racing. This time, he was riding for the Jawa factory on a temperamental four cylinder 350cc two stroke. This machine was to be his last competitive ride as he was fatally injured during a wet practice session."

• Like 3

14 hours ago, XTreme said:

I never had a lot of time for him because of what he did to Bill Ivy. Neither did Yamaha!

no he didn't stick to team orders and just did what he wanted and exactly that to Bill Ivy (i read the Bill Ivy story years ago)

• Like 1

I dunno I find all this deciding who can win before a race a bit crap. Happens in a lot of sports and theses are highly competitive people at the top of their game being told they must let someone else win even if they are better. They ruined some cyclists by keeping them down. 

Bumped into him and his missus waiting for a flight from Frankfurt many years ago. Came across as a decent bloke to be fair and had some great stories about his rivalry with Barry Sheene.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Bumped into him and his missus waiting for a flight from Frankfurt many years ago. Came across as a decent bloke to be fair and had some great stories about his rivalry with Barry Sheene.

Ended up living in a caravan in a mate's garden.......he lived life to the full but made some terrible business decisions apparently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Ended up living in a caravan in a mate's garden.......he lived life to the full but made some terrible business decisions apparently.

That description probably applies to a few on here? 🤣🤣👍

• Haha 2