Tyre choice, the “Mitas E07+ Dakar”

Pedro

37 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You said you only ordered the rear E07+ that's fine its just the old E-07 front i found noisy
image.png.5f3dc10ea34aa1b7020258cf9ab8c383.png

Ordered both the E07+ Dakar front and rear. I'm curious to try them now, as people comment it's way less noisy than the K60, which I found noisy.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Ordered both the E07+ Dakar front and rear. I'm curious to try them now, as people comment it's way less noisy than the K60, which I found noisy.

Should be ok their a different tyre to the old E-07 

On 25/07/2022 at 20:05, boboneleg said:

I still have a set of E07’s on my spare wheels for the donkey 

You can’t wear them out 😁

Do they try to kill you on wet tarmac?

Front tire’s here, looks chunky but way less hard than the Heidenau I used to use, maybe there’s ever some grip in these.

Looking forward to getting the rear next week and having a look. I’ll only fit them mid september though.

• Like 2

Tyres, bought, will only fit them mid september so maybe I planned too far ahead. Better have them in my garage now than struggling to get them at the last minute though.

IMG_6748.thumb.jpeg.370e2cbff16a0247e69e6f228344774a.jpeg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Now having put 6.300km on these tires, this is how they look. Notice the thread edges are still square and "bitey":

IMG_9460.thumb.jpeg.472c9f6243e83bbcc52be2a15395a1ca.jpeg

IMG_9461.thumb.jpeg.77ce71c0bb88f3c97dfa1edf5338cb66.jpeg

They are far better than the Heidenau K60 I used previously for Morocco. The rear digs in and gets you moving a lot better on soft sand and softer terrains probably because they have no continuous center strip, but even though they dig well offroad and provide some positive traction they are still smoother than the K60 and WAY more quiet. In fact, almost as quiet as a proper road tire, couldn't be happier regarding that. They feel bulletproof compared to a road tire on rough roads, which is the main reason I got them. The front might not be as nice as the K60 on road handling when turning into corners going fastish, but it is a lot better offroad.

On the road, they obviously don't handle like a road tire and feel vague at higher speeds, cornering fast while leaning over also isn't their strong suit, I end up not feeling like riding aggressively and fast, which ends up being safer. On the wet they're not brilliant but they let you know what's happening so you can adapt and ride conservatively, I did 1000km on one day mostly in rain and never felt unsafe. I am not a confident rider on the wet, so I take care regardless of tire.

In short, I rate them highly as a touring tire for a heavy bike if you want to compromise and ride long distance on roads while maintaining some soft terrain ability. Their quietness compared to other tires of the genre makes them extra comfortable on a long trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

My mate has a rear on his T700 and he does well on it even in some pretty snotty going .........

IMG_3039.thumb.JPEG.61472a536ca16e0292e36a199de30ff0.JPEG

I would say it's not knobby enough for clearing mud off the tire, and anyway mud and the GS aren't really an appealing idea to me, too much weight on the front.

On a Tenere riding in that it must last forever.

• Like 2

As another comment, I have put my shocks on full soft to ride the sandy trails so now the bike feels like a soft pillow compared to before when I had it sporty. I will now not turn it back to sporty setup and will let the Mitas wear out. Just shows that they do feel ok in a touring relaxed sort of way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now at 8900km, they’re looking like this:

040BECBD-7BFB-491F-BE35-1240294F10A5.thumb.jpeg.a2e680ad347297bc7c68a4357f97bf27.jpeg

608A9913-4545-4189-A466-AA328BE6901B.thumb.jpeg.68518422303d85db31ced9e01388d63a.jpeg

plenty of life left but a couple of days ago they were not the ideal tire to navigate through 10km of gridlock traffic in Porto’s wet motorway after dark. 

They’re proving to be a sound tire if you want a proper mixed use tire for a big bike. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

At 12000 or 12500km into this tire, I think it's got 1 or maybe 2000km on still on the rear. Grip on the road is still very nice and confidence inspiring, they're a little skittish when riding faster and forgetting you're on mixed tires when breaking harder. I'm very happy with them, it's a top travel tire for a big trail. These tires invite me to have the bike dirty a lot more often than before.

IMG_1260.thumb.jpeg.6f911d8b46709b112ca78e5bf3006cec.jpeg

IMG_1250.thumb.jpeg.d85deae5cad2f24089e46927f93cd69d.jpeg

I will certainly have another set of these for going to Morocco next time, which might happen this year in late September to November, I'm completely sold on these tires. Don't want to set off to that with half worn tires though, so might have to fit something else in between, maybe try something new in between, I was given a good recommendation on the Pirelli STR but they look a bit gay and maybe not that great for such a heavy bike?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Pedro said:

At 12000 or 12500km into this tire, I think it's got 1 or maybe 2000km on still on the rear. Grip on the road is still very nice and confidence inspiring, they're a little skittish when riding faster and forgetting you're on mixed tires when breaking harder. I'm very happy with them, it's a top travel tire for a big trail. These tires invite me to have the bike dirty a lot more often than before.

IMG_1260.thumb.jpeg.6f911d8b46709b112ca78e5bf3006cec.jpeg

IMG_1250.thumb.jpeg.d85deae5cad2f24089e46927f93cd69d.jpeg

I will certainly have another set of these for going to Morocco next time, which might happen this year in late September to November, I'm completely sold on these tires. Don't want to set off to that with half worn tires though, so might have to fit something else in between, maybe try something new in between, I was given a good recommendation on the Pirelli STR but they look a bit gay and maybe not that great for such a heavy bike?

I’m liking the Continental TKC 70 Rocks l have on my CRF 

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I’m liking the Continental TKC 70 Rocks l have on my CRF 

I love the TKC70, best road tire I had and properly confidence inspiring for going fast. The only thing that is different with the Rocks version is that there is no continuous strip along the centre of the rear tire, to improve traction a little. It’s quite a lot softer and less rugged for rocks than the Mitas though, and I found them quite less confidence inspiring off tarmac.

was wondering if I would fit a set of those today, somehow fitting another set of Mitas to take them out with only a few thousand to then put another set for the trip sounds wrong :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now at 13000km, maybe 14, the rear looked like this earlier today after being a little punished on hot tarmac.

This is approaching it's end, but they still inspire confidence in the dry. You can feel the edges flex when leaning a little, but still a lot of feeling for a mixed tire. The new ones are at home waiting, I was hoping these would last till Morocco 2023, but maybe they won't.

IMG_1506.thumb.jpeg.a3f6d383c2644feba75659bfc4994df5.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

At 16000km these are running out of thread, but amazingly very smooth and a delight to do corners as long as you remind yourself they’re not a sporty tire. I decided to see how far the would go because I’ve never had a worn tire that handles as nicely as this (no rain, though). I think there is no better tire for a big trip on a big trail bike.

18F9D0AC-02A0-4598-9B11-1F63D87368D2.thumb.jpeg.110f5abf5b74d0e729c4e86202276a54.jpeg

In a couple of days they’ll be replaced with some Continentals. The next pair of Mitas is already in the garage, but only to be fitted a few days before the next Morocco trip, which so far is very uncertain regarding dates.

• Like 5