Honda CB500X 2019 Review!

XTreme

I've made no secret of the fact that I love this bike!

If you look at the specs on paper it doesn't look up to much (same could be said for the Strom as well).....but the reality is actually very different.

I'm no journo (what you say Mawsley?) so I'll just list out how I find it. And below my points is a short vid review by Neevesy at MCN.....who is a very highly respected bike journo!

So here's my opinion.....

Ultra smooth quiet motor, effortless slipper clutch, handling and brakes are very good, and perfect ergonomics when you sit on it,

The build quality is excellent with very thick and wide handlebars which you don't have to reach forward for! Initially they didn't feel particularly high, but once you get used to them it's actually a perfect riding position.

It's a couple of kg heavier than the 650GS but it feels lighter and physically smaller. Which is a benefit if you're not as young as you were. Very easy to balance when stationary.

It's tractable and is quite happy at 60kph/37mph in sixth gear (showing 2.1L per 100km fuel consumption) without any lugging, and will then pull well from that point with a very linear power delivery.

People will say it's only 48bhp so it's slow! Well "slow" is a very subjective thing! It actually feels like it has more bhp than that. It's certainly far quicker than any of my XT's and is probably on a par (or a bit quicker) than the G650GS. And with a fuel consumption of 70-90mpg it's cheap motorcycling.

Now if you want a bike with character and a bit of excitement then it's not for you. It's just a typical Honda......somewhat soulless and very practical, but you just know you can trust it with your life! Total peace of mind!

I'll be honest with you, I'd virtually given up all hope of finding a bike that was exactly what I wanted. If I wanted to keep riding I thought I'd just have to get by with the best alternative I could find.......and then I came across the CB500X.

If you're an older rider downsizing due to age then this is the bike for you. You're not going to impress people with this, and you're not going to turn any heads or have people coming up admiring it.

But you'll get where you want to go comfortably, with no fuss or drama! And it won't cost you a fortune to do it either! The reality of it is that this bike will probably outlive nearly everybody on this forum.

Over to Neevesy.....does he disagree?

• Like 1

Very underestimated bikes @XTreme, a mate of mine dies a fair bit of off road riding including competing in the last Hellas Rally with Torque Racing and he likes them, especially when you add some of the Rally Raid UK kit.

I could be tempted when I get to your age. 🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Skippy said:

Very underestimated bikes @XTreme, a mate of mine dies a fair bit of off road riding including competing in the last Hellas Rally with Torque Racing and he likes them, especially when you add some of the Rally Raid UK kit.

I could be tempted when I get to your age. 🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍

Any news on your tank Ray?

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Any news on your tank Ray?

Not yet Pete, it’s likely to be towards the end of next week though. Fingers crossed.

Having problems getting the DR to kick over which according to those in the know could be a result of the valve clearances being incorrect? Need to get it back to my mate’s gaff and he’ll take a look……..I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve never been adjusted since it left the factory in 1987! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2