Spitalfield Life website

yen_powell

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Atmospheric shots Yen!

Some of those from the 60's and 70's could have been taken pre-war with the conditions people were living in.

I agree, my childhood memories of the 70s are of a landscape that hadn't changed much from films I saw made in the 40s and 50s. Corner shops, barbers, pubs and butchers were definitely the same apart from the decimalised prices. It all started changing in the late 80s and seems to be accelerating.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

It all started changing in the late 80s and seems to be accelerating.

Brits voted to go back to that era though.

Despite the fact that many of whom weren't even alive then!

kristen stewart GIF

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

Brits voted to go back to that era though.

Despite the fact that many of whom weren't even alive then!

kristen stewart GIF

Can't wait. I've signed up for rickets and advanced fire-grate blacking and I have the grandkids enrolled for the workhouse, I understand you have to get their names down whilst they are still little or you have no chance.

I haven't seen any downside to Brexit that has affected me personally yet, well none that haven't been the result of another country being petty minded and that won't last forever.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I always have to have a look when I am working near any of these. Most are public highway so we are supposed to maintain them, but I know of at least one wooden stair that has had the bottom rot away leaving a 10 foot drop to the river bed/beach, something not visible if you walk down them at high tide when the water is over the last step.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/08/11/watermens-stairs-o/

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I always have to have a look when I am working near any of these. Most are public highway so we are supposed to maintain them, but I know of at least one wooden stair that has had the bottom rot away leaving a 10 foot drop to the river bed/beach, something not visible if you walk down them at high tide when the water is over the last step.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/08/11/watermens-stairs-o/

Around and about that river must be a fascinating place to spend some time (stairs permitting).

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

Around and about that river must be a fascinating place to spend some time (stairs permitting).

There are always people wandering up and down the shoreline at low tide, mudlarkers I believe they're called.

All sorts of stuff gets found. There was a Spitalfields life article about love tokens that get inscribed with initials, thrown in the Thames and found a hundred years later as well as beer tokens which we use as slang for cash, bust seems to have been a real thing used instead of money in old pubs.

2 hours ago, yen_powell said:

There are always people wandering up and down the shoreline at low tide, mudlarkers I believe they're called.

All sorts of stuff gets found. There was a Spitalfields life article about love tokens that get inscribed with initials, thrown in the Thames and found a hundred years later as well as beer tokens which we use as slang for cash, bust seems to have been a real thing used instead of money in old pubs.

Yes, I quite often watch l this ladies videos, unlike her though if I was doing that sort of stuff I'd be wearing gloves when picking up 'stuff'  :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

Yes, I quite often watch l this ladies videos, unlike her though if I was doing that sort of stuff I'd be wearing gloves when picking up 'stuff'  :classic_unsure:

Lovely. What a genteel way to waste your time. Bit of a surprise to see her "..other stamped coin which I won't read out.." 

Must have been stamped by a relative of someone on this forum 😆

36 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Lovely. What a genteel way to waste your time. Bit of a surprise to see her "..other stamped coin which I won't read out.." 

Must have been stamped by a relative of someone on this forum 😆

Someone had just joined up and was looking forward to a peaceful time in the tropics writing his frustration onto a coin when war was declared.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That sounds totally plausible. Is it true?! I really want it to be 😂

Or it was a lottery token, number 1914, he lost the jackpot by only one number.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/08/16/hopping-portraits/

I used to hear about people hop picking from my Mum and Dad, but always as a thing in the distant past. Some of these people were still doing it till recently.

Why are they all standing in the bushes? :classic_unsure:

• 1 month later...

Blackie. The last Spitalfields Market Cat

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/09/18/blackie-the-last-spitalfields-market-cat-o/

I remember the last days of the market. The raod and footway would be slick with slippery squashed fruit and vegetables. Tramps would sit around burning pallets and banana boxes in the middle of the road (9it does the asphalt no good you know). I got chased by one tramp with a broken bottle in his hand once. My FJ1200 had something wrong with it at the time, the starter motor kept sticking. After I ran to it and threw myself on it, It took me two attempts to start it as he ran screaming at me. When it did start I think I left rubber on the road as I wheel span off just out of his reach.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, yen_powell said:

Blackie. The last Spitalfields Market Cat

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/09/18/blackie-the-last-spitalfields-market-cat-o/

I remember the last days of the market. The raod and footway would be slick with slippery squashed fruit and vegetables. Tramps would sit around burning pallets and banana boxes in the middle of the road (9it does the asphalt no good you know). I got chased by one tramp with a broken bottle in his hand once. My FJ1200 had something wrong with it at the time, the starter motor kept sticking. After I ran to it and threw myself on it, It took me two attempts to start it as he ran screaming at me. When it did start I think I left rubber on the road as I wheel span off just out of his reach.

Sounds like an evil thing to me!

• Haha 1