Hidden graveyard, hidden quay and some unhidden wind turbines

yen_powell

I only went out for a little poodle on local roads originally, but whilst out I remembered that I had put a post code into my satnav and saved it a month or so back for one of the places in my Wild Guide book. There were two places I wanted to visit, a hidden quayside with nice views over a river with the best name ever (The Twizzle) and another similar place, but where the quayside stones had originally been part of the medieval London Bridge.

I didn't have the book with me and could only find one of the post codes on the satnav, so off to the Twizzle it was, the old bits of London Bridge will be for another day.

On the way there I went past a farm entrance with a hedge next to it with a small gateway set into it. Being nosy I stopped and stuck my head through and found a little graveyard, miles from anywhere as far as I could tell, and next door a little church. No idea how they get much of a congregation as no village is close by?? Like most little Essex churches, it is built to look like a wooden rocket ship.

I also shot past a tree that to me looked like a giant wooden snail rearing up, so did a u-turn and took some pictures of that.

I finally arrived at Quay Lane in a place called Kirby-Le-Soken. The book had said to park in the village and walk up Quay Lane, but I rode up it as far as I could until I met a sign saying any further was private property. The road was very narrow so I plonked the bike into a little concreted entrance to an electrical sub station and after chucking my jacket into the top box I started walking further up the private road (but public footpath).

After about 500 yards the narrow lane opened up to reveal a little cottage with its own private bridge. According to the book, it is called Witch's Cottage. A little further along the road ended at a gate into the river. I took a few pictures by the gate then backtracked a few yards and walked along the field footpath which popped out by the river again. A few more snaps and I headed off to Frinton on the coast. It was only 2 miles away, but due to a weird combination of mini roundabout, a railway level crossing and 100 year old drivers it took me 20 minutes to get there. Frinton is the sort of seaside place that doesn't allow pubs, chip shops, fruit machines or ice cream sellers. I plonked my self down on a bench on the cliff top and had a coffee out of my flask. I could see loads of wind turbines out in the channel. They definitely weren't there when I last came here in 1976!

20210814_135621.jpg

20210814_135638.jpg

20210814_135646.jpg

20210814_141728.jpg

20210814_141739.jpg

20210814_151556.jpg

20210814_151703.jpg

20210814_151726.jpg

20210814_151935.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Earache said:

Cool pics - liked the thatched roof!

I saw a brand new cottage with a thatched roof today, they still make the odd one.

Thatch was banned in London after the Great Fire, but special permission was given for one building to be constructed with one. The replica of The Globe Theatre passed fire safety regulations, partly because the original burnt down and everyone got out safely.

image.png.7ffcf8a679ccbb828c6bf2617b21c4ac.png

image.png.b403c22556b4a97d7078e8813b8396bc.png

• Like 5

I liked that a lot, might take to doing that and picking a destination on a map when in need of inspiration up north where I usually go nowhere.

why cut that amazing looking tree?

16 hours ago, Pedro said:

I liked that a lot, might take to doing that and picking a destination on a map when in need of inspiration up north where I usually go nowhere.

why cut that amazing looking tree?

Maybe to stop it getting too top heavy and falling the rest of the way into the dry ditch. I went past it quite quickly, but after about a 100 yards, I decided to turn back. I think it may have also reminded me of the Navigator in the first Dune film. Also Raggety from 1070s puppet Rupert the Bear

image.png.5c2c36d6a9db717b8de0f1edca0d43d1.png

• Like 1

Cutting the tree... or pollarding it. Has very likely added centuries to its life span. As its much less likely to be blown over in. a storm. Its an ancient traditional way of managing trees for firewood dating back to long before the age of coal.

I love pottering about old graveyards.. or even more modern ones. I really like visiting the "unknowns" in the war cemeteries when I cross over to France and further on (making a point of seeking them out). I usually emerge an emotional wreck.

IMG_0166.jpg

• Like 4