2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental Video First Look

Hugh Janus

Last week BMW unveiled two new touring machines, the new R 18 B and R 18 Transcontinental, based on the 1,802cc horizontally opposed Big Boxer twin that we’ve previously seen in the R 18 and R 18 Classic. Berlin-built for grand American touring, the R 18 Transcontinental makes no attempt to hide the fact that it’s after Harley-Davidson territory, right down to its customer-facing launch at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

The Transcontinental and B models see a steeper rake and shortened wheelbase compared to the R 18 and R 18 classic, as well as a larger gas tank and automatically adjusting rear suspension. Adaptive Cruise Control is now available as an option for these models, not previously seen in other heavyweight American-style touring motorcycles.

Seeing this bike in person was a great way to inspect some of the finer details, but unfortunately we won’t be able to ride the new machines until the press launch later this month. Stay tuned for our first ride review and video, which will be released in accordance with BMW’s embargo on August 30.

For more information, check out our First Look here, or bmwmotorcycles.com.

Passenger floorboards come standard on R 18 Transcontinental models.
Passenger floorboards come standard on R 18 Transcontinental models. (Morgan Gales/)When the passenger floorboard is folded up, the side R 18 badge is covered.
When the passenger floorboard is folded up, the side R 18 badge is covered. (Morgan Gales/)With a starting MSRP of $24,995, the Transcontinental pictured will retail for $31,965.
With a starting MSRP of $24,995, the Transcontinental pictured will retail for $31,965. (Morgan Gales/)The view from the R 18 Transcontinental’s cockpit is a juxtaposition of technology and tradition—but it works.
The view from the R 18 Transcontinental’s cockpit is a juxtaposition of technology and tradition—but it works. (Morgan Gales/)Adaptive Cruise Control is included in the Trancontinental’s Premium Package, which adds $3,225 to the base price.
Adaptive Cruise Control is included in the Trancontinental’s Premium Package, which adds $3,225 to the base price. (Morgan Gales/)The Transcontinental comes with a taller windshield than the R 18 B.
The Transcontinental comes with a taller windshield than the R 18 B. (Morgan Gales/)LED fog lights mount below the R 18 Transcontinental’s main headlight.
LED fog lights mount below the R 18 Transcontinental’s main headlight. (Morgan Gales/)The Transcontinental comes equipped with a 120mm-wide 19-inch front tire and dual disc brakes.
The Transcontinental comes equipped with a 120mm-wide 19-inch front tire and dual disc brakes. (Morgan Gales/)The BMW R 18 Transcontinental adopts a unique floorboard shape to work with the Big Boxer’s cylinder heads.
The BMW R 18 Transcontinental adopts a unique floorboard shape to work with the Big Boxer’s cylinder heads. (Morgan Gales/)With a claimed wet weight of 942 pounds, the Transcontinental is among the heaviest bikes we’ve ever tested.
With a claimed wet weight of 942 pounds, the Transcontinental is among the heaviest bikes we’ve ever tested. (Morgan Gales/)Located behind the gas cap is a phone storage compartment with wireless charging.
Located behind the gas cap is a phone storage compartment with wireless charging. (Morgan Gales/)Inside the 2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental’s top case storage compartment.
Inside the 2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental’s top case storage compartment. (Morgan Gales/)With the new R 18 B and Transcontinental, we see a departure from the R 18’s large fishtail exhaust pipes to work around the new hard saddlebags.
With the new R 18 B and Transcontinental, we see a departure from the R 18’s large fishtail exhaust pipes to work around the new hard saddlebags. (Morgan Gales/)Although many changes have occurred, the powerplant for the R 18 Transcontinental is identical to that used in earlier applications.
Although many changes have occurred, the powerplant for the R 18 Transcontinental is identical to that used in earlier applications. (Morgan Gales/)The First Edition, seen here, will only be available for the bike’s first production year.
The First Edition, seen here, will only be available for the bike’s first production year. (Morgan Gales/)Menus displayed on the large screen are navigated through controls at the rider’s left hand.
Menus displayed on the large screen are navigated through controls at the rider’s left hand. (Morgan Gales/)Like we’ve seen on previous BMW models, a roller and buttons on the left side of the handlebar allow navigation of the menus on the 10.25-inch screen.
Like we’ve seen on previous BMW models, a roller and buttons on the left side of the handlebar allow navigation of the menus on the 10.25-inch screen. (Morgan Gales/)A large, wide two-up seat with rider and passenger heating comes standard on the Transcontinental.
A large, wide two-up seat with rider and passenger heating comes standard on the Transcontinental. (Morgan Gales/)The Premium Package installed on this motorcycle includes upgraded Marshall Series II speakers.
The Premium Package installed on this motorcycle includes upgraded Marshall Series II speakers. (Morgan Gales/)

2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental Specs

MSRP(base/as pictured): $24,995/$31,965
Engine: Air/oil-cooled, horizontally opposed twin; 2 valves/cyl.
Displacement: 1,802cc
Bore x Stroke: 107.1 x 100.0mm
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
Transmission/Final Drive: In-unit 6-speed/exposed shaft
Claimed Measured Horsepower: 91 hp @ 4,750 rpm
Claimed Measured Torque: 116 lb.-ft. @ 3,000 rpm
Fuel System: Electronic fuel injection w/ 48mm throttle bodies
Clutch: Dry, single disc
Engine Management/Ignition: BMS-K+ electronic engine management w/ overrun cutoff and twin-spark ignition
Frame: Double-cradle tubular steel
Front Suspension: 49mm telescopic fork; 4.7 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Steel swingarm w/ central shock strut; automatic preload adjustment with load and ride-height sensors; 4.7 in. travel
Front Brake: 4-piston fixed calipers, twin 300mm discs w/ linked ABS
Rear Brake: 4-piston fixed caliper, 300mm disc w/ linked ABS
Wheels, Front/Rear: Cast aluminum; 19 x 3.5 in. / 16 x 5.0 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: 120/70R-19 / 180/65B-16
Rake: 27.3°
Wheelbase: 66.7 in.
Seat Height: 29.1 in. (at curb weight)
Fuel Capacity: 6.3 gal.
Claimed Wet Weight: 942 lb.
Availability: 2022

Source

I´ve ridden a K1600B and to me that was a great bike, great engine, chassis at motorway speeds my GS (with 50% tires) wasn't really happy about in a wet autumn, heated seat, really comfy tourer that was! Plus it did wheelspins in third and fourth gears entering a wet motorway, that was proper fun!

I've never ridden this one but after having sit on a naked one I can't see how it can be anything except a Harley wannabe

• Like 1

Still loving my R18, the original model.  The full bagger version looks great from the side.  It is definitely a direction switch for BMW, looking at their models from the last 30 years or so.  But, going back, it fits in their history nicely.  Think of it as a Harley that works.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alfalfa said:

Still loving my R18, the original model.  The full bagger version looks great from the side.  It is definitely a direction switch for BMW, looking at their models from the last 30 years or so.  But, going back, it fits in their history nicely.  Think of it as a Harley that works.

The abs magnets will fall out. Plus it weighs a ton, literally.

9 hours ago, Buckster said:

The abs magnets will fall out. Plus it weighs a ton, literally.

Never had magnet issue.  Weight is on par with your favorite, isnt it?   They are getting damned heavy!  But, at least on the 18, the weight is down low.  I dont feel it while under way, but that could be said of all of em, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfalfa said:

Never had magnet issue.  Weight is on par with your favorite, isnt it?   They are getting damned heavy!  But, at least on the 18, the weight is down low.  I dont feel it while under way, but that could be said of all of em, right?

Wasn’t it you that lost a rear wheel magnet in New Mexico?

7 hours ago, Buckster said:

Wasn’t it you that lost a rear wheel magnet in New Mexico?

Nope, dont think so.  was riding Flames and she never lets me down.  I know that GSDude beat up his bike a little.  Think you might have, too?

I lost the contents of my top case when i came upon a hidden ditch 🙂

3 hours ago, alfalfa said:

Nope, dont think so.  was riding Flames and she never lets me down.  I know that GSDude beat up his bike a little.  Think you might have, too?

I lost the contents of my top case when i came upon a hidden ditch 🙂

I ran out of gas, I was on a loaner but didn’t fall off, those road tyres were crap in the sand. The guy that lost the ABS magnet was on a standard GS.

On 15/08/2021 at 00:15, Buckster said:

I ran out of gas, I was on a loaner but didn’t fall off, those road tyres were crap in the sand. The guy that lost the ABS magnet was on a standard GS.

ah.  that memory is coming back now.  i was on a GSA.  There was the KLR(?) who couldnt keep up when were headed back out to the satellite array, until his exhaust blew up.  Had plenty of power after that.  I believe one of the loaners was trailered back to dealer.  Thought it was yours, but believe it was GSDudes (what was his name again?).

My first rally.  good one except i couldnt ride for shit offroad and still cant 🙂

Just now, Buckster said:

That’s the man! Moved to Austin, Texas so I believe.

Last I heard......and it was a fair few years ago.......is that he was in South America. Possibly Colombia!

16 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Last I heard......and it was a fair few years ago.......is that he was in South America. Possibly Colombia!

He was volatile but he was a good guy, genuine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buckster said:

He was volatile but he was a good guy, genuine.

He was. had a blast at the rally (SWFEST).  Stayed in contact with him for a few years after that.  He did up and quit and hit the road south.  Somewhere along the line, bought one of them big, foreign overland vehicles that was impounded at one of the borders he was crossing.   wonder who knows where he might be now?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buckster said:

I don’t think it was a KLR, I think it was a Husky.

yeah, one of them small bikes.  i remember having to dodge the projectiles that came out of his exhaust!

Dean - center of picP3275524.thumb.jpg.499ca01515b2099528af9512c002b79c.jpg

Some dude pretending to be a bad-ass adv rider 😉

IMG_1657.thumb.jpg.b7dba1c8c0f028c0285dc3737f13fe7c.jpg

IMG_1651.thumb.jpg.56b0061d55b5147f365e4e311f7c6823.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Buckster said:

One of those brief phases without a beard.

i still laugh at BJD thinking your were Taliban from the beginning