Fishing trip

MooN

to Beaune to stock up on tins of tuna,mackerel, sardines, fish soup, and various other delicacies from "La Belle Iloise" https://www.labelleiloise.fr/en/information/the-cannery-1  As I am to be in lockdown with the animals children I will need to feed them I suppose and tins of fish with rice, or pasta, or spuds, is about the limit of my culinary skills. Besides, I like fish but live too far from the sea for anything to be truly fresh by the time it gets here... I'd planned to ride anyway today so adapted my ride to swing by Beaune and pick up a haul of canned fish. 

790547571_Screenshot(23).png.12c8190adbdac0d45b8319257db8d367.png

fuel firstDSC04460.thumb.JPG.000a27a69d03295aad6a6f3ecf315c1e.JPG

Have you read "Clochmerle"? this made me think of it. A monument to the local dead of the first war when the french troops still wore bright blue uniforms.DSC04462.thumb.JPG.dc930046c5015f6ab12ba6f3b393685d.JPG

Rare to see one still coloured DSC04463.thumb.JPG.a02f81c64470424c58dd248f42bb3566.JPG

"Blessed be the cheesemakers"DSC04464.thumb.JPG.c12e394fb62033a8bf31ba2eeb2b5aac.JPG

Epoisses has a well preserved chateau fortress that is still privately owned and in the same family since 1661 which is sufficiently rare in France to be worthy of note, as most of them changed hands with the revolution in 1790summat.DSC04468.thumb.JPG.848ad15f25ac507799abc20fbaeaade4.JPG

The very pointy extremeties of the castle walls is typical of castles designed by Vauban who was the first person to figure out that a fort based on an exaggerated star floorplan allowed all of the walls to be swept by fire from at least one other he was an incredible guy and hugely important in French history. 

DSC04466.thumb.JPG.9d1c1e268599863255d29f84a8851983.JPG

stopped her for Lunch and took a leaf out of Bobo neleg's book of lunch by having sarnies and a flask of tea ( how very english of me!) 

DSC04470.thumb.JPG.18351c1de6a2b7e90becc75268d0c8a8.JPG

DSC04471.thumb.JPG.fc908c60a224942f994a773c92f96fc0.JPG

by the time I got to Beaune, which is a aealthy and pretentios place heaving with porche cayennes andBMWx6s and audi convertibles, and got what I wanted from a mindnumblingly dense shop assistant I needed to push a bit to get home before curfew so didn't stop much on the way back except once to remove the thermal liner from my jacket and have another swig of tea

DSC04474.thumb.JPG.60236518f04e184c603eff944220588f.JPG

DSC04475.thumb.JPG.481094f43d3d4602d570f7973f2a179b.JPG

DSC04476.thumb.JPG.55bd3e7299769a2c1f6cb57edd460f13.JPG

As per usual, I outran the gps and got home with half an hour to spare... about 320 km in all. ?

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Looks like a great ride, and nice weather too.  :littleguy:

I enjoy the bits of history you add to the story.

Thanks, history is kinda my thing but can get boring very quickly for those not interested so i try and keep it to a minimum ?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MooN said:

Thanks, history is kinda my thing but can get boring very quickly for those not interested so i try and keep it to a minimum ?

Ohhhh I love history, you could start a thread and talk all you want about it, all good by me! :littleguy:

• Like 2

Brilliant Chris.....and going out on the bike and coming back smelling of fish? That's the 70's in a nutshell AFAIC.

First wife wasn't too impressed as I recall......but that's the way we rolled back then! :classic_cool:

And this has to give Fred's river shots a run for their money in BOTM....

DSC04462.thumb.JPG.dc930046c5015f6ab12ba6f3b393685d.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love canned fish, but isn’t Auxerre a big enough town to have at least a couple of markets selling freshly caught fish? It does surprise me.

I really like the colour of your bike, and it seems so suited to the riding you do, lovely places!

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

I love canned fish, but isn’t Auxerre a big enough town to have at least a couple of markets selling freshly caught fish? It does surprise me.

I really like the colour of your bike, and it seems so suited to the riding you do, lovely places!

Auxerre is 300 odd km from the nearest coast Pedro, that means that any fish is offloaded and sold on the dock, then it goes to the market in Rungis (paris), then it goes to the wholesalers, then it goes to the fishmonger... that means a minimum of 36 hrs in a truck.... + the time on a market stall hat is not fresh!  I lived too long on the cosat to eat 48h old "fresh" fish. 

33 minutes ago, MooN said:

Auxerre is 300 odd km from the nearest coast Pedro, that means that any fish is offloaded and sold on the dock, then it goes to the market in Rungis (paris), then it goes to the wholesalers, then it goes to the fishmonger... that means a minimum of 36 hrs in a truck.... + the time on a market stall hat is not fresh!  I lived too long on the cosat to eat 48h old "fresh" fish. 

I assumed it was brought directly there bypassing Paris

8 hours ago, Pedro said:

I assumed it was brought directly there bypassing Paris

Nope, alomst ALL food products in france go via the Rungis market, there are miriad stupid situations whereby fish from Marseille ( for example) is caught, sold off the boat, travels to Rungis, is sold there to a wholesaler, and then  taken back to Marseille to be sold as "fresh" on the markets and in the restaurants there... some story all along the coast, the restaurants only by from their wholsaler who only buys in bulk from Rungis... stupid, stupid, stupid...  Having discovered this I no longer eat "fresh" fish unlessI can buy it from the boat, which is what we do when we holiday in Britanny. It's also why I never, ever eat shellfish in a restaurant here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MooN said:

Nope, alomst ALL food products in france go via the Rungis market, there are miriad stupid situations whereby fish from Marseille ( for example) is caught, sold off the boat, travels to Rungis, is sold there to a wholesaler, and then  taken back to Marseille to be sold as "fresh" on the markets and in the restaurants there... some story all along the coast, the restaurants only by from their wholsaler who only buys in bulk from Rungis... stupid, stupid, stupid...  Having discovered this I no longer eat "fresh" fish unlessI can buy it from the boat, which is what we do when we holiday in Britanny. It's also why I never, ever eat shellfish in a restaurant here. 

Bit of Spanish logic there Chris!

1 minute ago, MooN said:

In Portugal we have small markets in medium fishing towns. On the smallest villages some have closed because they just couldn't justify the costs of being open and cater for modern health rules with such small volume, but you will easily have fish for lunch caught that same morning in most places on the coast. Not to say restaurants or fishmongers don't sell yesterday's catch too, but that's another thing.

Better to buy something frozen a couple of hours after hitting the market than fish that has been traveling for two days.

• Like 2