Technophobe R us ( pooter assistance needed)

MooN

Hello techno wizards, a word in your shell likes if I may...

Now you all know I'm a complete arse when it comes to all things pooterish and N0 1 daughter rang me thismorning throwing a wobbler cos her computer doesn't work and she needs a new one...

Now I only bought her that one a year ago and nearly had to sell one of her siblings to pay for that so she ain't getting another one, which means I have to find the means to do something about the one she has.  The place I bought it from will are willing to have a look and repair it but they obviously don't do that on site so have to send it away and it usually takes about 3 weeks, add in some covid complications and plan on a month... as they don't propose a loan to replace it during that time  and N0 1 is a uni student working 95% from "home" via microsoft "teams" that brings us back to having to buy another one as a temporary replacement...

I thought I'd ask you geeks, nerds, whatever you use as a collective noun, what you think the problem might be.  i do understand that it's unlikely anyone is able to solution a bugging pootah without access to the bloody thing but you never know, it might be a known problem and fixable with a judicious tap from a sledgehammer in just the right place. ( one lives in hope)

as I don't have the machine in front of me either ( it's in Dijon) I have tried to prise out of N0 1 exactly what happens. ( turns out that it's not actually totally fucked, and that she was maybe overreacting just a little bit (!) on the phone earlier.  However. it's annoying , so:

the machine is A Lenovo Idea Pad S340.

1year old, with an intel i-core 8th gen processor 500GO ( I presume that's the RAM?) and it says she's got 413GO free of the 475 available.

it's running windows 10 with a microsoft office package supplied by the university. 

What happens is; on a fairly regular basis, on start up it doesnt connect to the internet and when she opens the "properties" it says "no intel card detected"  ( I'm translating thid from the french by the way) and she has to restart it which usually works and the restart is normal.   That's got to be a problem with the computor itself right? 

2nd bug: if she closes the screen, rather than physically shutting down, it regularly freezes and refuses to re awaken when she re opens the screen, it thinks about it, she gets a "not responding message, then a blue screen and it goes into auto restart and restarts normally.  ( I told here that I think this is just part of living with laptops, deal with it)

3rd bug:  for the uni lessons and lectures they use microsoft "teams". it regularly freezes the keyboard and has to be closed and restarted which is lesson time lost and complicated to catch up with. ( I assume this is a problem with the app rather than the machine itself and told her to uninstall and reinstall the app)  Q. Is it possible to uninstall a single app when it's supplied as part of a package?  uninstalling and re installing the whole package is a multi hour job over her crappy internet connection.

Any help, ideas, pointers, thoughts ( constructive) most welcome.   but please dont tell eme to use apple, change OS, don't use microsoft.. etc etc cos all that is fine if you have the means, financial or intellectual... of which I have neither.

@Bruce @XTreme @Buckster... anybody else who knows what their doing with this stuff ? ( I know you wont agree on any of it anyway so the more the merier...

ta muchly

• Like 1

Make sure the PC is up to date with all the latest patches and updates from Microsoft.

Ensure the latest device drivers are installed.

Download CCleaner (it's free): https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Then run a disk cleanup and registry repair.

Then defragment drive and restart.

At that point your system should be in a better state.....then you can look at the problem with the power management setup.

You'll probably need to reinstall the MS package though.

Thanks @Bruce I now have to try and translate all that into french :classic_laugh:.  

seriously though, thanks guys, I know little and understand even less about this sort of stuff so your help is invaluable.  It's the age old problem of being an expert Bruce, friends will insist on asking your advice in your domain of expertise. You should do what I did and become an expert in  sod all.  I believe "Jack of all trades, master of none" is the saying that might apply, but at least I dont get hassled by people asking for advice.  :rofl:

• Like 1

actually, fuck it, she's studying english I sent her your message lets see if she can translate it and figure it out ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

Now she will hate me forever and should I ever come over for lunch will have to eat it from the kerbside.

oh I think that was a given already... :rofl:

• Haha 2

On 31/03/2021 at 20:06, Bruce said:

Remind me never to give you any aid of any kind. No good deed goes unpunished.

bit late mate,