XR400 front wheel

Pedro

So, the front tire on my xr400 has slowly been slipping over time, last time it properly pulled the tube valve into the wheel and now I need to order some tire levers to take the tire off and see about fixing it.

I am going to order a tire lock to replace the existing one that is clearly not working ok even though it is tight. Can anyone tell me the size I should order? It's the stock front wheel on a 2003 XR400.

Any recommendation or are they all more or less all the same? My local shop sells MotionPro.

While I'm at it, I have been carrying O2 cannisters with my puncture repair kit on the GS when on trips. Can anyone recommend a small electric tire pump that can be run with alligator clips from the battery? I want something tiny for an emergency but at the same time don't want to buy something too crap that will burn out after 1 minute and leave me stranded.

I can't help you with this as I don't use tyre locks  Pedro, they're a pain in the ass imo.

This is my tyre pump, absolutely bulletproof but a bit expensive to buy...........

https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/cyclepump-ez-gauge/cyclepump-expedition-tire-inflator/cyclepump-expedition-tire-inflator/

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

I can't help you with this as I don't use tyre locks  Pedro, they're a pain in the ass imo.

This is my tyre pump, absolutely bulletproof but a bit expensive to buy...........

https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/cyclepump-ez-gauge/cyclepump-expedition-tire-inflator/cyclepump-expedition-tire-inflator/

How do you prevent tires from rotating in low pressures?

Just now, boboneleg said:

How low do you run your tyres ?  I never run mine lower than 16psi even in real sloppy conditions.  Only ever had one 'tyre creep' in 40 years of off-road riding.

Usually 17 or higher. Still, the fact is the wheel did creep.

7 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Usually 17 or higher. Still, the fact is the wheel did creep.

How old is the tyre? was there any aggressive acceleration or braking ?  these are factors that will cause tyre-creep.  Has the tyre been on the rim for a long time ?

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

How old is the tyre? was there any aggressive acceleration or braking ?  these are factors that will cause tyre-creep.  Has the tyre been on the rim for a long time ?

Acceleration is frequently as aggressive as I can :classic_laugh:  but it's the front wheel. Yes, there were a few hard brakings on tarmac, that surely did it, I ride this bike very little and sometimes am surprised at how little it brakes when compared to the GS.

The tire is almost new but it's been on the bike for years. It's an AC10, I put them on because they're road legal but the front one is pretty shit.

I would say that the tyre is your problem.  AC10 fronts have a reputation for bad wear, they're quite dangerous in the wet as well.  It's strange as the rear AC10 is pretty good. 

Michelin have replaced them with the Michelin Tracker but if you can get Maxxis Maxxcross IT Pro's then they are a much better tyre for around the same price.

https://www.24mx.co.uk/motocross-parts/motocross-tyres--rims_c350/motocross-tyres_c351/maxxis-m-7304d-mx-21-front-mx-tyres_pid-PM-4904663?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPW1dywFUYHt4Ftb_0xjQXxf9ympJDcYjhIxUk0u_LAP0bh57pcW5CMaAoiWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

@boboneleg, would that go well with the rear ac10?

You mention bad wear but the tire really looks like new. I don't really care if tires last long or not on this bike, I ride it so little often it makes no difference.

Your recommendation, then, is that a tire like that at more than 17 psi wouldn't slip?

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

You surprise me there Bob I've not had any issues running rim locks at all. The XR comes with rim locks from factory so I've always had them fitted. On the 650 i done valve stems a few times on the rear wheel i use with the off road tyre on so fitted a rim lock and that problem has gone and i usually run about 15psi. I got no rim lock on the wheel with the more road type tyre on and also run that about 15psi but haven't had a problem with that one. I just remembered i got a Mitas E09 on the back of the XR for the dryer weather and i run that about 12 PSI i found it made a big difference with the grip off road over 15psi so wouldn't run without a rim lock on that one 

15 minutes ago, Pedro said:

It's when I found three different sizes that I thought best to ask: https://www.enduroportugalshop.com/collections/acessorios-pneus

The front rim is 21x1.60 so i think you want this one 
https://www.enduroportugalshop.com/collections/acessorios-pneus/products/trava-de-pneu-motion-pro-1-60

• Thanks 1

By the way, regarding the tire recommendation, @boboneleg, I mostly ride on very dry ground. Either sort of sandy or very hard gravel. Would you still say that Maxxis would be the best choice for improving on the AC10?

27 minutes ago, Pedro said:

By the way, regarding the tire recommendation, @boboneleg, I mostly ride on very dry ground. Either sort of sandy or very hard gravel. Would you still say that Maxxis would be the best choice for improving on the AC10?

I never liked the AC10 personally anything is an improvement on them.  If your only on dry ground you might be better going for a more duel sport type tyre on the rear like the Mitas E09 i find it a really good all round tyre. The Mitas E09 front tyre is shit though i wouldn't use one of those again

20 hours ago, Pedro said:

The Maxxis M7304 front presently on my CRF Rally has over 4500 miles on it now including a trip to France and back, I reckon it'll do another 1000 miles easily.

Tyres are a very individual thing but I'm very confident in the Maxxis.

The Maxxis M7304 front presently on my CRF Rally has over 4500 miles on it now including a trip to France and back, I reckon it'll do another 1000 miles easily.

are they the tyres that used to be called shen shing (or similar)

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I´ll order the IT then, don't know when I'll fit it, or if it'll be successful as it'll be my first time doing it, but looking forward to having front end grip again.

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

I´ll order the IT then, don't know when I'll fit it, or if it'll be successful as it'll be my first time doing it, but looking forward to having front end grip again.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed Pedro but if they're expensive in Portugal go for the Michelin Tracker.

mic_tracker.jpg

I don't think you'll be dissapointed Pedro but if they're expensive in Portugal go for the Michelin Tracker.

mic_tracker.jpg

They were 5 Euro difference for the front tire, so I went with the Maxxis, trying new things and all. All I want is that the front doesn't wash out when on smooth gravel, which sometimes the AC10 does.

The best I've had on this bike said "Motocross" on the side with big letters, I think they were Metzeler but might be wrong, it was quite a few years ago.

• Like 1