Stonehenge is shut

boboneleg

I had a free day today so I decided to take a ride down to the Stonehenge byways as English heritage is threatening to close them again.  The weather was decent when I set off but the roads were still soaking from last night so I took it steady on some of the back roads.

Once I got down to Tilshead I turned left to get onto the byway that runs around the back of Westdown Camp , everything was open on  Salisbury Plain as there is no live firing for the next couple of weeks.  I use this site to check the status before visiting.......

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-firing-times

You can see Westdown Camp in the background here................

IMG_7950.thumb.JPEG.e57159fc3721ebbd867ae78d4c4f1401.JPEG

IMG_7951.thumb.JPEG.1f055a18bba038bd0dbb4329508747a4.JPEG

the byways on the Plain are well marked, this is how it should be done :littleguy:

IMG_7954.thumb.JPEG.fd07af99c3001eeeffa366b22e9c6950.JPEG

I dropped off the byway by the Great Bustard Inn and rode down to Airman's Corner.  From there I took the A303 to get to the Stonehenge byways and sure enough the whole stretch of the A303 had bollards all the way along and the gates were shut across the byways.  No photos I'm afraid as it was impossible to stop.

At this point there was a lot of muttering inside my helmet but I set off for the Woodhenge turning to see if I could get in that way.......

IMG_7955.thumb.JPEG.64a14093af02e342c996caaa372208f9.JPEG

That'll be a NO then ?

I carried on down to Larkhill and got the same result...........

IMG_7956.thumb.JPEG.ad95182b89841fca62086a7e05b67500.JPEG

On the post here there was a copy of the TRO (traffic regulation order) so I took a while to read it.  It seems that the byways (and some roads) were shut for the winter solstice and to be fair I had seen quite a lot of  'travellers' vehicles parked up nearby.  I think the authorities were worried that some might use the solstice as an excuse to park up on the byways and then stay there.  But I shall definitely keeping an eye on the situation as I have a feeling that English heritage will use any excuse to get their way and close them permanently.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The weather was still holding out for the moment so I decided to head north and then west to head around the perimeter path .  I had real trouble finding my way in until I relised that a housing estate had been built on the byway :classic_blink:

IMG_7958.thumb.JPEG.b058b8741ed9c387c957a9941bd10bb4.JPEG

Thanks for putting that sign up mate but I think you'd have trouble seeing that from the road  :classic_rolleyes:

IMG_7957.thumb.JPEG.5929f6ec1859c1359cd496a9ddbe1779.JPEG

I rattled along up the path, a lot of the top surface had been worn away by all the rain we've had and there were some big holes here and there to keep you on your toes.  On a smaller bike I would be on the left hand track but today I was sticking firmly on the right side as the wet chalk, mud and some of those puddles would not have been a good idea .........

IMG_7960.thumb.JPEG.33561a420b16507abd4f00a7cc399b40.JPEG

The o/e tyres on the T700 are fine on the gravel but had I attempted to ride the other track on them I would definitely have ended up on my arse :classic_unsure:

IMG_7961.thumb.JPEG.157a20932f17f29f76384ad51cec5d7f.JPEG

This was a handy stop, I was dying to go so I stopped for a while.  You can see one of the mock villages in the background that the army boys like to play in.................

IMG_7963.thumb.JPEG.6ee54722831fbc236eb4302781e64036.JPEG

Then the heavens opened and it's bit exposed up there so I headed to my exit as quick as I could..........

IMG_7964.thumb.JPEG.eb7ee88193655768734e22f05607bf60.JPEG

What do you do if it's chucking it down and you want to stop somewhere to eat your sandwiches in the dry ?

You find a nice uninhabited bus shelter  :littleguy:IMG_7965.thumb.JPEG.0bdab46ae2fd21aa21e044fdbff1ddd3.JPEG

It rained all the way back home but my gear kept me dry inside and it's good to ride in the wet from time to time and it improves your riding skills  ?

• Like 7

Love those dirt roads, I am surprised to see such a big distance of easy non tarmac that I would be happy to go on the big gs in the UK.

Seems like entities in charge of stuff always try to take more things away from the people than they should.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

Love those dirt roads, I am surprised to see such a big distance of easy non tarmac that I would be happy to go on the big gs in the UK.

Seems like entities in charge of stuff always try to take more things away from the people than they should.

The gravel roads on the Plain would be perfect for your GS, firing and bombing permitting

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

The gravel roads on the Plain would be perfect for your GS, firing and bombing permitting

that's something that really takes an hardcore rider :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1