National Holiday in Spain.....so it's Beemer Time!

XTreme

It was a national holiday today so I thought I'd get an hour out on the Beemer! I've already tested it on Motorways, A and B roads, farm tracks and light offroad paths. All good so far.....so I thought I'd give it a test on the canal paths!

These have multiple variations of surfaces varying from billiard table smooth to trenches.......and just about everything in between. Along with bizarre cambers and falling debris strewn across your path.

And there's the added bonus that if you get it wrong you'll end up dropping 6 feet into the canal.

This particularly one is relatively easy......the final one up into the reservoir itself is a bit rough! It's virtually all concrete but it's completely broken up into various zig zag patterns and trenches which can trap your tyres and take you off course!

That's for another day.....I just wanted a gentle jaunt this afternoon! After all, I am a Pensioner FFS!

gs1.jpg

gs1a-min.jpg

gs1b-min.jpg

gs2.jpg

gs3.jpg

gs3a-min.jpg

gs3b-min.jpg

gs4.jpg

gs4a-min.jpg

gs5.jpg

• Like 6

Glad you mentioned tyres guys....I hadn't touched on that.

OK......when I saw the bike pics in the shop originally I thought....."WTF are those road tyres?". Well I zoomed in and all I could make out was Bridgestone. So I checked the pattern with the tyres on Google and it revealed they were Battlax A41.

I thought I'd probably rack up some miles with them then get Tourances on. Cos the A41's didn't really look like the type of tyre that would ideally suit what I do.

Then I read a few reviews like THIS! And they were all saying the same thing......they're excellent.....even on trails. Despite what they look like.

Well I've used them in various different environments and they're amazing. Coming back on the motorway and the way they took faster bends really stood out. Totally planted. Since then I've used them on a number of different surfaces in places where I've used Tourance, Anakee, and Scorpion Trail.

All of those have lost traction at different points, and I remember the exact places it happened. The Anakees were even stepping out on Tarmac! But these A41's haven't put a foot wrong so far......for me they're light years ahead of the other three.

I think they're a premium price tyre........but I've got no qualms in putting A41's on again when the time comes to replace them.

No good for the type of stuff Fred and Bob do.......but for @Pedro these are the ones to go for!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I reckon you should be taking that track on the left at 0.54

It's a farm Bob! I can't just go riding into somebody's farm! 

Some of these Dagos have fucking bulls running round on their land! :classic_wacko:

• Haha 2

I only mentioned the tyres Pete because a more trail type tyre will have a much stronger carcass than a road bias tyre making it more resistant to cuts and tears when off the smooth stuff, you will lose some grip on road depending what tyre your on but if your not a racer you wont notice the difference and from what i gather wet grip wont be an issue because you don't ride in it 

13 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I only mentioned the tyres Pete because a more trail type tyre will have a much stronger carcass than a road bias tyre making it more resistant to cuts and tears when off the smooth stuff, you will lose some grip on road depending what tyre your on but if your not a racer you wont notice the difference and from what i gather wet grip wont be an issue because you don't ride in it 

Apparently there's 3 different compounds in these Fred......reports say that it's stood up fine on rougher surfaces.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

but if your not a racer you wont notice the difference

All @XTreme’s talk about being a decrepit guy out on his last ride is bollocks, @Sir Fallsalot. I’ve met him, he actually goes out searching for people to leave behind, he’ll want grippy tires.

When my current Scorpion Trail 2 wear out I’ll be happy to go for TKC70 again, those were the best I had. Except if going to Morocco, in that case I’ll fit something tougher like K60, which are crap and noisy on tarmac but competent offroad and tough as hell.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Pedro said:

All @XTreme’s talk about being a decrepit guy out on his last ride is bollocks, @Sir Fallsalot. I’ve met him, he actually goes out searching for people to leave behind, he’ll want grippy tires.

An Old Age Pensioner on an A2 licence motorcycle going out looking for people to race with? :classic_wacko:

It doesn't sound like the behaviour of any normal old person to me @Pedro :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, XTreme said:

An Old Age Pensioner on an A2 licence motorcycle going out looking for people to race with? :classic_wacko:

It doesn't sound like the behaviour of any normal old person to me @Pedro :classic_laugh:

You’re not really saying I’m wrong, though :classic_tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Pedro said:

You’re not really saying I’m wrong, though :classic_tongue:

I don't go out looking for that.......but if the opportunity arises (especially if somebody's on prestigious shit) then I may consider it! :classic_cool:

• Haha 3

On 13/10/2020 at 17:07, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's a big tyre for that size bike, can you get away with a 140 and save a few quid on the tyres

I could do but it squares the profile of the tyre, if I keep the bike for long I may get the rear wheel rebuilt with a narrower rim like I did on the orange KTM 950.

• Like 2