Anybody got any experience.......

XTreme

I have ridden something similar, was a BMW GS single. Really nicely put together, but I felt I was never in the right gear, it always felt like it was revving too high or too low, acceleration or slowing down was fine. It was exactly the same when I had something with a similar engine in Rhodes. Not sure what make it was, picture below for the clever bike spotters.

P1250763.JPG

• Like 1

Apparently it's the 650 Rotax motor and BMW bought the rights to it when Rotax discontinued it.

The only difference is they're now assembled in China........but it's all BMW components. with just a Chinese workforce putting it together.

I think Honda and Yamaha do a similar thing with some models and there don't seem to be any quality issues reported.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I have ridden something similar, was a BMW GS single. Really nicely put together, but I felt I was never in the right gear, it always felt like it was revving too high or too low, acceleration or slowing down was fine. It was exactly the same when I had something with a similar engine in Rhodes. Not sure what make it was, picture below for the clever bike spotters.

P1250763.JPG

Is it an Aprilia?

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Is it an Aprilia?

It could have been. Never much choice of hire bikes on holiday, it was that, a scooter or a 'lean back and think of leather wallets on chain' type bikes usually.

Just now, yen_powell said:

It could have been. Never much choice of hire bikes on holiday, it was that, a scooter or a 'lean back and think of leather wallets on chain' type bikes usually.

The Pegaso Strada......they originally had the Rotax motors then switched to the Yam XT660 motor when that was released around 2005.

52 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I would trust that as much as a xt660r, which would also be a cool bike for you  as you know, having had at least one.

Discontinued about 5 years ago......there are 660Z Tenere's about now and again but usually high mileage.

They seem to be discontinuing big Thumpers now!

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Discontinued about 5 years ago......there are 660Z Tenere's about now and again but usually high mileage.

They probably can’t cope too well with emission regulations of today, I think. 

To be honest, I would go for a twin everyday unless it was a dirt specific bike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

They probably can’t cope too well with emission regulations of today, I think. 

To be honest, I would go for a twin everyday unless it was a dirt specific bike.

I like Thumpers though......and I've got to get the weight down. That GS is 30kg lighter......66lbs (nearly 5 stone) to us......so that's a significant drop.

Plus the fuel tank is under the seat so I would imagine the centre of gravity is very different.

I had a GS650 Dakar some years ago, took it to the Spanish Pyrenees and it averaged 71mpg, that included doing trails.  It was the one with the twin-plug head, better performance and mpg.

The downside to it was the front end, very soft suspension.  A lot guys coverted then to Yamaha forks or KTM.

• Like 1

I know the dealer (Rafa) very well......bought from him before.

He's a very proactive workaholic and always wants to do business........that's a fucking rarity here. He should be on display in a museum actually.

Anyway......he gave me an incredible price on the Strom (€3.5K which was what I paid for it 15 months ago from another dealer) as he knows the standard of my bikes.

And knowing Rafa he's probably got another punter lined up for it so he'll sell it the same day at €4500. It helps that he's a Suzuki main dealer as well.

Due to the post-Covid boom there's virtually no trail/adventure bikes available for under €5K now.

So I'd only have to pay €1.7K to get the Beeemer......which is pretty tempting. But ultimately I couldn't do it.

As ugly and bulky as the Strom is........I can trust it with my life. I couldn't with a Beemer. A quick look at 650GS forums and FB groups confirmed that.

I can't go from a bike that'll last a lifetime to a bike that'll last a lunchtime!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well.....it's cat amongst pigeons time.

Another dealer came back with a good price for the Strom.......not as good as Rafa's......but not too far off it.

And it ain't against a fucking Beemer!

I've said that I'll go and see him Saturday morning in Granada.

• Like 2

On 16/09/2020 at 17:14, XTreme said:

Shame as I loved my old Tenere, shown here at the top of Mount Jafferau.

5A17109B-BB7C-406B-BEDD-49FA711D56C5.jpeg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Shame as I loved my old Tenere, shown here at the top of Mount Jafferau.

If a decent low mileage Tenere turned up then I'd be very interested in one Ray.

But you know what it's like here......usually high miles and cheaping out on maintenance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, XTreme said:

If a decent low mileage Tenere turned up then I'd be very interested in one Ray.

But you know what it's like here......usually high miles and cheaping out on maintenance.

Yes mate, I saw one locally a couple of years ago on UK plates, a 58 reg so the same as my old one but with 50,000miles on I think and they still wanted £3,800.

I ain’t paying that.

25 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Yes mate, I saw one locally a couple of years ago on UK plates, a 58 reg so the same as my old one but with 50,000miles on I think and they still wanted £3,800.

I ain’t paying that.

Literally anything which can remotely be construed as Adventure or Trail is now stupid money......and yet the overwhelming majority of them never leave the tarmac! 

Also.....it really is stretching the boundaries when things like a Tracer or NC750X are marketed as adventure bikes when they have 17" front wheels.

In principle.......I wouldn't rule out getting another Beemer!

But I'm not so sure about the G650GS because of the motors being built in China by Loncin.

If it was the original Rotax then I'd be fine with it.....but the Chinese connection worries me a bit.

Thinking about it......one of the Twins may be a better option......like the F650/700/750/850GS. They're all lighter than the Strom and with a lower COG.

But the main factor for me is that as far as I'm aware there's no Chinese connection with these motors. Unless anybody knows any different?