Weird food on road trips - what ya got?

Earache

The USA has some pretty odd food that you'll encounter when on trips through the country and I loike to at least try them. Some are really good, others not so much.

Show me what you've found and where you found it.Here are a couple from me. First is from Gold Star  Chili in Kentucky. This type of chili comes from Cincinnati, Ohio where a Greek immigrant started serving it this way. Aside from a small amount of cheese, there is chili, onions, beans and spaghetti noodles in there. Then, as a side, are two cheese coneys; hot dogs in a bun slathered with chili and a bit of cheese.  Sounds gross, I know, but it is delicious after you scrape about 1/2 of the cheese off.

Second, a breakfast burrito from Tia Sophia's in Santa Fe, New Mexico. A folded tortilla wth sausge and eggs, peppers inside. Covered with both red and green chile (Christmas style) and a bit of melted cheese on top. Fuckin' heaven, I tell ya. I hit Tia's on every trip through Santa Fe.

Finally, my usual lunch. A cold diet soft drink and some cracker type things called "Combos". They're little brick-like round crackers with some odd sort of flavor thing in the middle. Some shade and a map and I'm set. Usually eat this while sitting on a curb at a fuel station someplace.

skyline.jpg

burrito.jpg

Diet Sew.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That looks pretty tasty to me!

How about this one? I don't even remember what it was supposed to be, but I do remember that I got it at the Golden Burro restaurant in Leadville, Colorado. I think it was chips with green chile on top, some beans and cheese of some kind. 

Feckin' Americans will dump cheese on top of anything.

green chile.jpg

• Like 2

I don't eat a lot of meat, but do have a love for bbq ribs when they're available. My riding buddy Dave and I had some smallish racks of ribs in Tennessee last year...

ribs1.jpg

ribs2.jpg

• Like 2

On my solo trips, I usually arrive at the hotel late, shower and just get a pizza delivered. We don't have any delivery of food where I live so it's a real treat to get food delivered.

Shacked up at a Marriott somewhere in Oklahoma...

pizzxa.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Earache said:

I don't eat a lot of meat, but do have a love for bbq ribs when they're available. My riding buddy Dave and I had some smallish racks of ribs in Tennessee last year...

ribs1.jpg

That looks superb! I think I could get used to Yank food! :classic_laugh:

Wouldn't entertain the shit that @Pedro eats though! :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

America is coming around to poutine, which always sounded really awful to me until I tried it. Now when we make the beer and Britsh stuff run to Canada it's our first stop.

• Like 1

Just now, Gnomad said:

America is coming around to poutine, which always sounded really awful to me until I tried it. Now when we make the beer and Britsh stuff run to Canada it's our first stop.

I always liked poutine, dunno why. Looks like shit on a plate but tastes great!

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

You'd be a fat fuck like me in no time at all.

Pedro is gonna smoke us all with some weird food pics as soon as he sees this thread.

• Like 1

Just now, XTreme said:

good BBQ is the food of the gods, especially if it's been on the smoker  for several hours. We have a pellet smoker and will cook stuff low and slow and its magic. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Earache said:

I always liked poutine, dunno why. Looks like shit on a plate but tastes great!

it hits all the taste points, unhealthy as you might imagine, and yeah looks about as appetizing as shrimp and grits. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gnomad said:

good BBQ is the food of the gods, especially if it's been on the smoker  for several hours. We have a pellet smoker and will cook stuff low and slow and its magic. 

I think that I like the smell of bbq more than the taste. Couple of large, cold beers and some ribs is perfect for me.

1 hour ago, Earache said:

ribs1.jpg

ribs2.jpg

That's my kind of food once you remove the bowls of crap LOL 

I'm starting to find the UK is getting a trend for dumping cheese on stuff. I like cheese but not on my bacon sandwich

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's my kind of food once you remove the bowls of crap LOL 

I'm starting to find the UK is getting a trend for dumping cheese on stuff. I like cheese but not on my bacon sandwich

Same here - dunno why they put some greasy assed cheese all over stuff. I like it sometimes, but usually scrape about 1/2 of it off.

The side dishes with the ribs are always left alone and untouched. It's enough of a job just to kill the ribs & beers for me. Don't like the coleslaw and cinnamon apples either.

• Like 1

No pics butt once me and two girls from Noi Jersey rode down south, we stopped at a dinner, the 16 year old version of the two girls asked what grits are...

i said in a whisper "Grits is pig food" So this 16 year old repeats what i say in the loudest 16 year old Noi Joisey girl axcent possible,

"Grits is Pig Food!?!"

I drew both firearms and opend fire hoping we could escape in a hale of gunfire!

:classic_unsure:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tym said:

No pics butt once me and two girls from Noi Jersey rode down south, we stopped at a dinner, the 16 year old version of the two girls asked what grits are...

i said in a whisper "Grits is pig food" So this 16 year old repeats what i say in the loudest 16 year old Noi Joisey girl axcent possible,

"Grits is Pig Food!?!"

I drew both firearms and opend fire hoping we could escape in a hale of gunfire!

:classic_unsure:

Sounds like a good way to get your ass kicked in the South.?

• Haha 2

Just now, Earache said:

Sounds like a good way to get your ass kicked in the South.?

Im ok i was born in Charleston South Carolina, the "Cradle of the South" and i have the Birth cirts, un;ike the O'man, to prove it :wave:

• Like 2