France - Motorcycle Roadworthiness Test (CT) Starts 14 April 2024

Tango

So, the Controle Technique (CT) for motorcycles comes into force in France from 14 April 2024. In true fashion it has been poorly implemented. Many test centres have not trained their testers on the bike roadworthiness tests. Bike specific test equipment has not been identified, let alone installed in the test centres! Many of those testers that have been trained are complaining that they're worried about dropping bikes or not being able to get heavier bikes onto the testing platforms unaided. 

Although the French government are trying to justify the tests on safety grounds, one section is what they call the Nuisance tests, which include measuring the noise and exhaust emissions on the bikes. And it seems that the noise limits proposed are pretty tight! 

Obviously, bike groups are up in arms about this and are calling for a boycott of the tests. However, some insurance companies are saying that they will insist on seeing a pass certificate from the CT before insuring a bike. This has also incensed the bike groups, as this is not required for getting car insurance!

Anyway, lots of protests have been called for today (13 April) by the bike groups and I think that it's pretty inevitable that there will be things getting torched and possibly punch-ups with the police!  I'll be watching the news with interest!

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Tango said:

So, the Controle Technique (CT) for motorcycles comes into force in France from 14 April 2024. In true fashion it has been poorly implemented. Many test centres have not trained their testers on the bike roadworthiness tests. Bike specific test equipment has not been identified, let alone installed in the test centres! Many of those testers that have been trained are complaining that they're worried about dropping bikes or not being able to get heavier bikes onto the testing platforms unaided. 

Although the French government are trying to justify the tests on safety grounds, one section is what they call the Nuisance tests, which include measuring the noise and exhaust emissions on the bikes. And it seems that the noise limits proposed are pretty tight! 

Obviously, bike groups are up in arms about this and are calling for a boycott of the tests. However, some insurance companies are saying that they will insist on seeing a pass certificate from the CT before insuring a bike. This has also incensed the bike groups, as this is not required for getting car insurance!

Anyway, lots of protests have been called for today (13 April) by the bike groups and I think that it's pretty inevitable that there will be things getting torched and possibly punch-ups with the police!  I'll be watching the news with interest!

Fair play to the French......you can always count on them to kick it off!

• Like 2

In Portugal it was supposed to start on the January 2024, and was postponed to January 2025.
But the issues are the same, no one believes that the centres have trained technicians for the inspections.

• Like 2

Just now, JustaPor said:

In Portugal it was supposed to start on the January 2024, and was postponed to January 2025.

It's been in effect here for years......way before I came here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tango said:

4 minutes ago, JustaPor said:

But the issues are the same, no one believes that the centres have trained technicians for the inspections.

Are they just trying to get the car testing stations to do them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

It's been a few years that they are saying that the Bikes will have to go through theses inspections.
I suppose that the centres need new equipment to make the tests on Bikes, but each time I take my car to its inspection, I don't see any new equipment.
And when talking with the technicians they say that they don't have the proper training (yet).

I think that this was the main reason for postponing the Bike inspections to 2025.

• Like 3

Just now, Catteeclan said:

Here in France the testing stations are independent from garages, they purely do the tests and nothing else. And, yes, they are trying to get the current stations for cars to do bikes too. Some testing stations have said that they simply won't do bikes, because they don't have the staff available to train. It's a mess!

Coupled with this, the government haven't set a price for the tests, so those stations that will do bikes can charge pretty much what they want!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tango said:

Here in France the testing stations are independent from garages, they purely do the tests and nothing else. And, yes, they are trying to get the current stations for cars to do bikes too. Some testing stations have said that they simply won't do bikes, because they don't have the staff available to train. It's a mess!

Coupled with this, the government haven't set a price for the tests, so those stations that will do bikes can charge pretty much what they want!

Was our government involved.:classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

On 13/04/2024 at 15:04, Tango said:

Here in France the testing stations are independent from garages, they purely do the tests and nothing else. (...)

Same here.

• Like 2