battery

MooN

Tiger won't start this morning.  I'm not really surprised, the battery was showing signs of weakness earlier on in the winter but I though I'd managed to ride enough to recharge it. To be fair this is probably the longest I have ever left a bike unused ( apart from 2016 following an op on my back) and I obviously havent disconnected it or used a charger or anything intelligent like that. The battery shows 12.5v on a digital multimeter, so i'll probably hack it off and take it into work on monday, nail a charger to it for 24 hours and then hammer it back into the bike and see if that sorts it, at least temporarily.  The battery is at least 8 years old, so it may just be time to replace it anyway, but batteries are fookin expensive here  ( i'm looking at 150 to 170€ for a decent quality one. I could get one from work MUCH cheaper but it would be cheap chinese rubbishand I want something reliable.  I know that all my ex client boat-owners brought batteries out from the uk as they were far cheaper, what does a bike  batterie cost in the uk nowadays? ( i'll be over in the car next month).  the original is a YTX-16BS 14Ah job. 

any thoughts? 

Tayna batteries are very good over here but even if they will deliver to France you may get clobbered with import duty .  Brexit  :wank4az:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/yuasa/ytx16-bs/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA8NKtBhBtEiwAq5aX2LNQWlVVJ2grzvHcUwQY9bNG0OT0usTHd7UtJASJQh5fSaecj_qkvxoCdY0QAvD_BwE

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Tayna batteries are very good over here but even if they will deliver to France you may get clobbered with import duty .  Brexit  :wank4az:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/yuasa/ytx16-bs/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA8NKtBhBtEiwAq5aX2LNQWlVVJ2grzvHcUwQY9bNG0OT0usTHd7UtJASJQh5fSaecj_qkvxoCdY0QAvD_BwE

fuckmine! thats less than half the price it would be here!  

i actually just started tigger, I went out to take the battery off, planning to take it in to work on monday and have our battery bod test it and charge it for me, and the baterry terminal connector bolts were finger tight or less... i tightened them and gave it a whirl and she started fine. I wasn't able to go ride it but run it up to temperature and then a bit longer at higher revs. it was charging at 14.3v, varying very slightly with revs.  i checked it agin about 15 minutes after switching off and the battery was at 12.9v I'll check it again tomorrow, but even it it seems good I'll replace it ( it appers to be the original battery, ( fabrication date on the battery same year as the bike) so if that's the case it's 12 or 13 years old already. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, busabeast said:

So your adding to the pollution from lithium mines?

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

Those cranking amps come at a cost, it is what it is.

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

• Like 1

I’ve upgraded to a lithium one, with way better specs than the stock one.

Apart from the first month or two when it was really new I can’t tell the difference. It does weight less than half, though, but it’s not like I’m a lightweight rider on a lightweight bike.

• 2 weeks later...