CFMoto 450MT Coming in 2024

Hugh Janus

The 2024 CFMoto 450MT utilizes a 449.5cc parallel twin with a claimed 43.6 hp at 8,500 rpm.
The 2024 CFMoto 450MT utilizes a 449.5cc parallel twin with a claimed 43.6 hp at 8,500 rpm. (CFMoto/)

CFMoto has been on a roll recently and chose EICMA in Milan to reveal the latest addition to its lineup in the form of the 450MT adventure bike. Packing a variant of the modern 449.5cc DOHC liquid-cooled parallel twin that made its debut in the 450SS and 450NK, the 450MT puts an adventure spin on the idea, retuning the motor to prioritize torque at lower rpm over peak power and wedging it into a lightweight, steel-tube chassis with long-travel suspension and a genuine adventure bike look.

The 2024 CFMoto 450MT features spoked wheels (21-inch front, 18-inch rear) with a single 320mm disc and four-piston J.Juan caliper up front and a 240mm disc with a single-piston caliper at the rear.
The 2024 CFMoto 450MT features spoked wheels (21-inch front, 18-inch rear) with a single 320mm disc and four-piston J.Juan caliper up front and a 240mm disc with a single-piston caliper at the rear. (CFMoto/)

In the 450MT the engine puts out a claimed 43.6 bhp at 8,500 rpm, a fraction down on the 50 hp that the 450NK and 450SS manage, but also peaking 1,000 rpm lower in the rev range. Torque maxes out at 32.5 lb.-ft. and 6,250 rpm, which is around 4 lb.-ft. more than the sportier 450 twins manage, and arrives 1,350 rpm lower down in the curve. For an adventure bike, whether it’s being used off-road or for day-to-day use, those changes make a lot of sense. The engine’s 72mm bore and 55.2mm stroke are unchanged, as is the 11.5:1 compression ratio, suggesting the alterations come down to tweaks to the electronics and the camshafts.

CFMoto’s 450MT features a steel tube frame with an adjustable USD 41mm KYB fork and KYB monoshock both providing 7.9 inches of travel.
CFMoto’s 450MT features a steel tube frame with an adjustable USD 41mm KYB fork and KYB monoshock both providing 7.9 inches of travel. (CFMoto/)

The engine slots into a steel-tube frame with adjustable KYB suspension at either end: a 41mm upside-down fork at the front and a rising-rate monoshock at the back with a remote adjuster, mounted on an aluminum swingarm. There are 7.9 inches of travel at each end and 8.7 inches of ground clearance. As you’d expect from a bike with off-road ideas, the wheels are wires with a 21-inch front and 18-inch rear. Braking duties are by a single 320mm front disc with a four-piston J.Juan caliper and a 240mm rear rotor with a single-pot caliper. Bosch ABS is standard, but can be switched off, and traction control is supplied by the same German brand.

The CFMoto 450MT has a 5-inch curved TFT display with smartphone connectivity and full LED lighting.
The CFMoto 450MT has a 5-inch curved TFT display with smartphone connectivity and full LED lighting. (CFMoto/)

Once aboard you’re faced with a 5-inch curved TFT screen that includes all the usual connectivity for smartphones and a USB-C charging port, and all the lighting is LED—again in line with expectations in 2024. Unusually, CFMoto only quotes a dry weight for the bike, coming in at 386 pounds without fluids. Once the 4.6-gallon fuel tank is full and there’s oil and water in the engine, that will equate to somewhere in the region of 420 pounds ready to ride.

On the 2024 CFMoto 450MT, switchable Bosch supplied ABS comes standard.
On the 2024 CFMoto 450MT, switchable Bosch supplied ABS comes standard. (CFMoto/)

CFMoto expects to get the 450MT into production in the first quarter of 2024, but there’s no definitive news on when the bike will reach US dealers or its price.

CFMoto’s 450MT features Bosch supplied traction control.
CFMoto’s 450MT features Bosch supplied traction control. (CFMoto/)

2024 CFMoto 450MT Specs

MSRP: TBA
Engine: DOHC, liquid-cooled, four-stroke parallel-twin; 4 valves/cyl.
Displacement: 449.5cc
Bore x Stroke: 72.0 x 55.2mm
Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
Transmission/Drive: Manual 6-speed/chain
Claimed Horsepower: 43.6 hp @ 8,500 rpm
Claimed Torque: 32.5 lb.-ft. @ 6,250 rpm
Fuel System: N/A
Clutch: Wet, multiplate
Engine Management/Ignition: N/A
Frame: Steel tube
Front Suspension: 41mm USD KYB fork, adjustable
Rear Suspension: Multi-link, KYB monoshock, adjustable
Front Brake: 4-piston J.Juan caliper, 320mm disc w/ Bosch ABS
Rear Brake: 1-piston J.Juan caliper, 240mm disc w/ Bosch ABS (switchable)
Wheels, Front/Rear: 21 in./18 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: 90/90-21 / 140/70-18
Rake/Trail: 26.0°/4.2 in.
Wheelbase: TBA
Ground Clearance: 8.7 in.
Seat Height: 32.3 in. (standard); 31.5 in. (low)
Tank Capacity: 4.6 gal.
Claimed Dry Weight: 386 lb.
Availability: TBA

Source

15 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That looks pretty impressive!

Big question mark about the motor though.

Here we go 🤣🤣🤣………why the scepticism? They already build KTM engines for their 790 and no one seems to complain about those!

You need to take those blinkers off and at least wait until it’s actually being sold and tested before casting doubts over its reliability.

Depending on price I’d be very tempted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, XTreme said:

spacer.png

I’ve no idea where that article came from but I can tell you this; several of my mates in the UK have had or still have the 790 and they absolutely batter them all over the place on road and across tough terrain and they’ve not had any major problems with them. I also know a KTM dealer in the UK and he’s also not had any major problems with bikes he’s sold.

I’d tend to believe feedback from real people I know who actually use the bike as intended.

The bottom line is that CFMoto are new to the market compared to the established Japanese and European brands and so they are regularly disregarded out of hand. The same happened when the Japanese started to infiltrate the bike scene in the 1960’s and look where they are now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skippy said:

I’ve no idea where that article came from but I can tell you this; several of my mates in the UK have had or still have the 790 and they absolutely batter them all over the place on road and across tough terrain and they’ve not had any major problems with them. I also know a KTM dealer in the UK and he’s also not had any major problems with bikes he’s sold.

I’d tend to believe feedback from real people I know who actually use the bike as intended.

The bottom line is that CFMoto are new to the market compared to the established Japanese and European brands and so they are regularly disregarded out of hand. The same happened when the Japanese started to infiltrate the bike scene in the 1960’s and look where they are now.

The Japs knew they had to prove themselves.......and they did it in roadracing!

So where's the Chinks in roadracing then?

50 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Here we go 🤣🤣🤣………why the scepticism? They already build KTM engines for their 790 and no one seems to complain about those!

Not true though. The new paralel twin engines are shit quality and in longevity compared to the old v-twins. 

• Thanks 1

I personally know a dealer that quit selling KTM road (i mean multi cylinder) bikes and only does their offroad ones. So many issues which KTM wasn’t ready to help fix under warranty made it a nightmare to them so they just quit. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

CFMOTO.....IOM Lightweight race 2016.....finished in 4th place...was in 3rd till mechanical problems. 😂 

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

They are doing their work and using the Dakar as development, they do ok too.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Even the Japs started from nowhere at some point it doesn't happen overnight the chinks are trying we will have to wait until they either succeed or fail though

https://www.rideapart.com/news/631796/kove-dakar-debut-2023/

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Not true though. The new paralel twin engines are shit quality and in longevity compared to the old v-twins. 

He's a Cockney Pedro......so you may have trouble getting your point across!

6 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Even the Japs started from nowhere at some point it doesn't happen overnight the chinks are trying we will have to wait until they either succeed or fail though

https://www.rideapart.com/news/631796/kove-dakar-debut-2023/

Yes.....Kove have done something.

But how long have the Chink bikes been circulating worldwide and none of the others have done jack shit.

They haven't proven their engines!

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Yes.....Kove have done something.

But how long have the Chink bikes been circulating worldwide and none of the others have done jack shit.

They haven't proven their engines!

Not yet your right but they are shoving them in all sorts now so it wont be long before we find out if they can hack it or not

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Not yet your right but they are shoving them in all sorts now so it wont be long before we find out if they can hack it or not

This is how it's done.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Early days yet but don’t be so sure they won’t make it.

• Like 1

Just now, Skippy said:

Early days yet but don’t be so sure they won’t make it.

It's not early days Ray......they've been offloading their shit for about 20 years now!

Yamaha were competing worldwide 13 years after two Atomic Bombs were dropped on them!

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I personally know a dealer that quit selling KTM road (i mean multi cylinder) bikes and only does their offroad ones. So many issues which KTM wasn’t ready to help fix under warranty made it a nightmare to them so they just quit. 

How’s that possible if they are an official KTM dealer? I would have thought they couldn’t pick and choose what they sold?

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It's not early days Ray......they've been offloading their shit for about 20 years now!

Yamaha were competing worldwide 13 years after two Atomic Bombs were dropped on them!

Mostly small capacity, cheap and poor quality that were no match or comparison to the mainstream Japanese bikes but this is not the case now. The main Chinese outfits seem to be building better quality bikes that are intended to compete with the more expensive Japanese equivalents such as the CB500X…………just saying. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Mostly small capacity, cheap and poor quality that were no match or comparison to the mainstream Japanese bikes but this is not the case now. The main Chinese outfits seem to be building better quality bikes that are intended to compete with the more expensive Japanese equivalents such as the CB500X…………just saying. 🤣

One thing I've been thinking about for a while now......why are the Japs putting up no opposition to the Chinkies in the 125-450 Trail/Adv/Rally segment? 

It's like they're willing to let them have that sector of lower priced bikes because they want the larger capacity, more expensive part of the market.

That's a bike mistake.....the Brits thought like that in the 60's. People said the Jap bikes were "sewing machines" and they couldn't build a good big one!

Then the CB750 K0 arrived in 1969! It changed everything, and within 3 years along came the Z1.

And those buyers of the small Japs in the 60's became customers for life and there was no British motorcycle industry left.