First 300 thoughts

Saul

Just done the first 300 miles on my Hornet so halfway to running it in and the first service.   For me it is interesting in comparison to my CB500.  It genuinely doesn't feel any bigger at all but the brakes are much better and the front dives less.  It copes with my fat arse better than the 500 in terms of suspension. 

I haven't used full power mode (which really only controls the throttle response not actual power) or full throttle yet but I have had it up to 6k revs and it is pulling hard then.  It wants to go. 

It is very easy to bimble around on and very mild mannered until the revs get up.   

I notice my hands and chest are colder without a screen or handguards, it has the same heated grips as my CB500 had and I am using them more now with no handguards.  

It is surprisingly quiet at 70mph, no buffeting as such.  I have read that is to do with the shape of the headlight and front bodywork, maybe.

I love the sound it makes. 

The Honda Road Sync Bluetooth app is awkward to use and does not work well with an iPhone which is probably Apple being barstewards.  I can't see me using it in the future unless the App improves.    I don't really care as the setup I had before with a usb charger and Quadlock works just as well on the Hornet as it did on the CB500.  

The mudguards on the bike are rubbish.  I have already got a Fender Extenda for the front.  Not sure what to do about the back yet, I have little faith in huggers.

I can see me sending more money to SW Motech for a rack and pannier frames, I really miss not being able to carry anything.  After the scratch experience with the CB500 I am going to stay away from Bagster tank covers and bags.  Thinking about a tank bag that is ring mounted but am going to do a little research before spunking any money on one.  

On the whole I am really pleased with the bike, seems made for me, there really isn't much that I want to improve apart from the mudguards.  

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Saul said:

Just done the first 300 miles on my Hornet so halfway to running it in and the first service.   For me it is interesting in comparison to my CB500.  It genuinely doesn't feel any bigger at all but the brakes are much better and the front dives less.  It copes with my fat arse better than the 500 in terms of suspension. 

I haven't used full power mode (which really on controls the throttle response not actual power) or full throttle yet but I have had it up to 6k revs and it is pulling hard then.  It wants to go. 

It is very easy to bimble around on and very mild mannered until the revs get up.   

I notice my hands and chest are colder without a screen or handguards, it has the same heated grips as my CB500 had and I am using them more now with no handguards.  

It is surprisingly quiet at 70mph, no buffeting as such.  I have read that is to do with the shape of the headlight and front bodywork, maybe.

I love the sound it makes. 

The Honda Road Sync Bluetooth app is awkward to use and does not work well with an iPhone which is probably Apple being barstewards.  I can't see me using it in the future unless the App improves.    I don't really care as the setup I had before with a usb charger and qualock works just as well on the Hornet as it did on the CB500.  

The mudguards on the bike are rubbish.  I have already got a Fender Extenda for the front.  Not sure what to do about the back yet, I have little faith in huggers.

I can see me sending more money to SW Motech for a rack and pannier frames, I really miss not being able to carry anything.  After the scratch experience with the CB500 I am going to stay away from Bagster tank covers and bags.  Thinking about a tank bag that is ring mounted but am going to do a little research before spunking any money on one.  

On the whole I am really pleased with the bike, seems made for me, there really isn't much that I want to improve apart from the mudguards.  

Much difference in fuel consumption?

• Like 1

Yep forgot about that 😳  The CB500 was always sitting between 80 and 90 mpg on the dash which was a little optimistic the Hornet is currently sitting at 67 mpg on the dash but I am sure that will go down once it is run in and I can play with it a bit more.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I think you'll find a big difference once you can open up the revs.  My mate says his needs spinning up to get it really moving .

I can see that, of course my experience is from getting off a almost exactly the same, in terms of size, bike with 47 bhp to one with a quite a bit more so for me if already feels quite a bit faster.  Once run in I am sure it will be shockingly quick for me.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Saul said:

Yep forgot about that 😳  The CB500 was always sitting between 80 and 90 mpg on the dash which was a little optimistic the Hornet is currently sitting at 67 mpg on the dash but I am sure that will go down once it is run in and I can play with it a bit more.  

The old Honda 750 Fours were around 40 mpg so still pretty decent.

Though back in those days the price of petrol wasn't such a big deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

I can remember my R100's getting around 40 mpg and I never thought that was bad.  

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

would that be 50p a gallon Pete