Nav Experiment

Saul

Well I asked the question last week about a phone mount for my bike and the consensus was Quadlock is the one to have.  
Some money later I had a mount and vibration damper on my bike.  Works very well and holds the phone securely.   
Anyway I went for a mini bimble today to try it out.  I decided to follow the directions exactly just to see how I got on with the Nav software (I used Apple Maps but will experiment with others) first impressions was that it is vastly superior to the RE Tripper I had on my Himalayan.   Just so much easer to use, I dare say user limitations may be a factor but I found my current set up so much better.   
First off I went to St Aweful (Austell) to pay a cheque in for my eldest daughter’s birthday then went on to Dameralls to look at the shiny.  I will post some pics in another thread. 

CB0F54F6-798D-419A-8170-B3DB1D64DB69.thumb.jpeg.2d938f8f7fefdac332ee64937ceeeb9d.jpeg

I had a mooch around and then decided to go on to Thor motorcycles to look at some more shiny.  

6604461C-79A2-4E22-95C0-481DF79A7B07.thumb.jpeg.446b735d9a30b675ba879d4f2ce5abde.jpeg

The directions were just as easy to follow as my cars sat Nav even though I couldn’t hear anything.   
Thor stocks Shoei helmets and they had a Glamster in my size in Laguna Blue, I only got out of there without it using all the willpower I had.   
I think the Quadlock is excellent 

5B9BE32B-23CA-4CE3-8939-3AD00CD881A0.thumb.jpeg.91e9544a8a50c236e3a9dc06f1cb82ec.jpeg

1C03CA4A-B80D-48FC-97E2-C958BB0DE62F.thumb.jpeg.4a125db1306f84eadeb152fa72a9b308.jpeg

But a little fiddly to use, I think that will get easier the more I use it.   The vibration damper doesn’t help clipping on and off but it definitely does it’s job.    Even though my bike is pretty smooth the phone gets shaken by the Road surfaces.   
I think the Quadlock is worth the money, even though it’s a bit spendy, there are copies available but I don’t think the saving is worth risking a phone loss.  Even though I used one of my kids old cast offs I still don’t want to throw it down the road.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

There are some very short cables available, they make a difference in the way that it's easier to strap them to the handlebar and less flapping about putting strength on you phone's plug to hold it.

Seems you can almost get rid of the quad lock arm, have you tried it without?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

There are some very short cables available, they make a difference in the way that it's easier to strap them to the handlebar and less flapping about putting strength on you phone's plug to hold it.

Seems you can almost get rid of the quad lock arm, have you tried it without?

I haven't yet but think I will as the way the phone sits at the moment it blocks a little of the bikes instruments.  Not much of an issue bit a little bit of annoyance grit.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Nice one Saul......how much did all the Quadlock kit come to?

Quadlock kit was £44.99 delivered, Damper was £14.99 and the phone case was £16.   So £76 in total, you can get clones for much less but a good Iphone is going to be £800 plus so I think it is worth getting the best to protect it, even though I am using an old one at the moment I may use my good phone in the future.     

• Like 3

I tend to use Waze on the bike and in the car. Its routes are sometimes a little questionable, but the live updates of problems etc seems to be pretty good. I've used it for about 5-6 years, possibly longer, and it was pretty useful when I was doing a lot of driving for work.

I may have to look into a QuadLock, but the limiting factor for me is that my main phone is a cheap Chinese smartphone, where there's not much choice in the way of cases for it, and my other phone is a Samsung S8, which obviously dates it! 😂😂😂

• Like 2

I have used Waze in the past, worked ok but I wasn't that keen just thought it was a bit gimmicky.    If your phone is a cheapie why not try one of the Quadlock clones, they are around a tenner so may be fine and worth a punt.  The clone cases I have seen on Amazon have good write ups so probably ok.    Look on Ebay or Ali Express.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Saul said:

I have used Waze in the past, worked ok but I wasn't that keen just thought it was a bit gimmicky.    If your phone is a cheapie why not try one of the Quadlock clones, they are around a tenner so may be fine and worth a punt.  The clone cases I have seen on Amazon have good write ups so probably ok.    Look on Ebay or Ali Express.  

Any links to the Amazon ones Saul?

• Like 1

If I know where I'm going, and it involves motorways and main roads I try to remember to turn on Waze even if not needed, and just leave notifications off except alerts. This works well for speed camera warnings.

To use as a digital map, stopping and checking the roads around, figuring out where to go, and maybe even silent navigation, Google Maps is way better than the apple version. Searching for hotels and having accurate prices instantly on your map, searching restaurants around, etc, for stuff like that Google is really impressive.

As a guide, I'll be able to ride through most offroad paths that show up on google maps, it's a great way to find places I wouldn't consider otherwise.

• Like 3

Google maps has got a lot better over the years, there was a time it was terrible, I used to have the Tom Tom app on my phone but ditched it over a year ago as Google maps caught it up.

• Like 4