Lerryn & St Winnow February 2023

Saul

Seeing my Himalayan’s days with me are numbered I was keen to get out for maybe a last bimble about.    I went to a village called Lerryn about two miles as the crow flys from my house.    Problem is that it is the on the other side of the river so it is about 15 miles to ride around.   Well not so much of a problem as the sort of roads for the majority of the way are very well suited to the Himalayan.   Mostly back lanes and B roads way below the sort of speeds that it feels breathless.  
Lerryn itself is an old and very beautiful place that is dominated by the tidal river.  I love it there but as is the case with many scenic Cornish village’s anybody from them is eventually priced out.   There is a small estate, formally social housing, just up the hill but apart from that the property values are eye watering. 
Anyway the tide was out today so probably not at its prettiest but still lovely.    There is a shot of the stepping stones across the river, not to be attempted after a drink, I am sure you can guess how I know about that fact.  

Further up river from Lerryn is the tiny hamlet of St Winnow.  One house one farm, a boatyard and a medieval 14th century church.    The church itself is the wedding venue of choice for those who can afford it, as it is only practically accessible from the river.  Absolutely idyllic place for such festivities.   
St Winnow church is also the ancestral church for the Vivian family.  Baronial Blue bloods, MP's and such, in fact the old Lord Baths mother was a Vivian.  

When I got home I cracked 3000 miles on the Himalayan.  

C4032EED-D708-431D-93EB-52B59BD1D8AA.jpeg

AEE03146-8E49-42AD-B3CD-B99EAFEFA4B8.jpeg

6B50FB6F-DABE-4E9A-BE07-638ED9B38A92.jpeg

BA176D9A-32E1-482A-A454-1F937F271BDE.jpeg

02C825BB-8071-4DF3-8638-04B177F7BFAF.jpeg

7CFF0217-56E1-4B16-A25C-5977BAD3085F.jpeg

989531BF-999B-4486-99FC-7D77B20A5AE8.jpeg

9592E804-DCCC-40F7-A4D7-B84D23448A29.jpeg

895235CF-2EAB-4B7C-BB7B-15584CDFFC89.jpeg

590DF84F-EA7D-4960-B6A4-CBADA0B2D4A1.jpeg

32B4E887-607A-42DC-9933-4187D638B5F4.jpeg

73045655-1163-49A0-A98D-A1BF2E8B6E3F.jpeg

C2CB0B4D-D023-4645-B1A2-7AE8C5F93680.jpeg

06E5096E-0506-4B3F-91F7-8D24DD685D53.jpeg

D96781A5-538A-427A-889C-B62C174D3307.jpeg

EFDC34B6-3E0A-49EB-A4AE-78C415EBC969.jpeg

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Nice one Saul. Thought you'd done more miles than that with all you reports.
I guess we'll have some faster ones.:classic_laugh:

Cornwall isn't that big mate 🤣.   Also only had the Himalayan 4 months. 

• Like 2

I also assumed it was higher mileage. When you bought it did you think you would be keeping it for a long time?

Love this picture, looks like the same pattern on the clouds and the grass

image.thumb.jpeg.282884b1e638d583d12c3ff55e93e613.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I also assumed it was higher mileage. When you bought it did you think you would be keeping it for a long time?

No it was 3 months old when I bought it, had 700 or 800 miles on it, can't remember exactly.  I had originally intended to keep it for a year and trade up once I got my confidence back around the time of my birthday in September, but it was starting to feel slow so I guess I was ready to take the next step sooner than I thought.   I do still like it and if I hadn't decided to have only one bike I would have liked to keep it but I don't want a shed full of bikes I don't use regularly.  I have been there before.  Also gave me a chance to better understand what bikes were out there and what would suit what I wanted to do.  I am hoping to keep the Honda for a least a couple of years but we will see.   I don't think I want a big bike again but I suppose that could change also.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saul said:

No it was 3 months old when I bought it, had 700 or 800 miles on it, can't remember exactly.  I had originally intended to keep it for a year and trade up once I got my confidence back around the time of my birthday in September, but it was starting to feel slow so I guess I was ready to take the next step sooner than I thought.   I do still like it and if I hadn't decided to have only one bike I would have liked to keep it but I don't want a shed full of bikes I don't use regularly.  I have been there before.  Also gave me a chance to better understand what bikes were out there and what would suit what I wanted to do.  I am hoping to keep the Honda for a least a couple of years but we will see.   I don't think I want a big bike again but I suppose that could change also.  

For where you live and the riding that you do the Honda will have more than enough power.

And if you want to go further afield it's quite happy to do that.......mine runs at 5.5k revs at 70mph/120kmh.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, XTreme said:

For where you live and the riding that you do the Honda will have more than enough power.

And if you want to go further afield it's quite happy to do that.......mine runs at 5.5k revs at 70mph/120kmh.

Honestly mate I think the Honda will be all I need, but probably best to never say never.  if that makes any sense.     I want to build a new shed for bike stuff, to save the house being cluttered with all the paraphernalia that bikes cause and I may get a small trails type bike to live in it.   
I have this 10ft x 10ft concrete base I cast years ago for the kids to have pools on in the summer months.  Would make a perfect base for a bike shed.   Especially if I built the shed a bit taller with loft space and insulated it.    It’s right out side the back door so very convenient and I could add a covered area to park my bike in.   

14046C99-C87F-4A3A-A547-DD6829486268.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Honestly mate I think the Honda will be all I need, but probably best to never say never.  if that makes any sense.     I want to build a new shed for bike stuff, to save the house being cluttered with all the paraphernalia that bikes cause and I may get a small trails type bike to live in it.   
I have this 10ft x 10ft concrete base I cast years ago for the kids to have pools on in the summer months.  Would make a perfect base for a bike shed.   Especially if I built the shed a bit taller with loft space and insulated it.    It’s right out side the back door so very convenient and I could add a covered area to park my bike in.   

14046C99-C87F-4A3A-A547-DD6829486268.jpeg

Do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You did more miles than my mate , he bought one new but sold it after just 500 miles.  Then he bought a KTM 1090, I think he wanted some speed back in his life after the Himalayan .

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

High revving then pete Barbie What GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

You did more miles than my mate , he bought one new but sold it after just 500 miles.  Then he bought a KTM 1090, I think he wanted some speed back in his life after the Himalayan .

That's a bloody contrast.  Didn't really give it a chance but each to their own, I know mine freed up alot after 1000 miles.      Still slow though.  🤣

• Like 2