Himalayan Condensation.

Saul

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I put motocross suspension on it and a 125 engine in it and wrote it off T boning a mate when he crossed in front of me. i thought i bent the forks but on closer inspection i bent the headstock the frame down tube was like a swan neck LOL 

Like i said, you can spot that from a tiny picture in a phone :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Six30 said:

kill it with fire @Saul and get a honda or something

I couldn’t agree more, speaking from experience.

I miss my Honda and would get another.  On the other hand I still have bad twitches from my Himalayan.....lol

dog tick GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I miss my Honda and would get another.  On the other hand I still have bad twitches from my Himalayan.....lol

dog tick GIF

The RE Himalayan's main problem came from releasing a bike that wasn't fit for a 1st world market. Initially it was only intended for the Indian market where it's expected things will break. People started importing them (mostly into America) and discovered the quality wasn't up to 1st world standards.

RE then had to do a redo to produce something considered good enough for this market (ie fix the stuff that commonly went wrong). It took them quite some time. A lot of the earlier Enfield's came with built in problems. I haven't had any trouble with mine, other than notchy head bearing.. the rest of the issues have all been mechanic induced 😂

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

dog tick GIF

I can understand your point of view especially in the context of modern Japanese reliability, real quality products, but at a price.  I did a lot of biking in the late 1970's to mid 1980's and believe me the Japanese motorcycle industry piled em high and sold em cheap then.  Yes the reliability was superior to most of the alternatives but that is not saying much really, they made plenty of unreliable dogs too.    Also into the mix came the associated bodgery that occured by the time these cheap bikes got to their second or third owners.   Now from my point of view and in that context I find my RE a pleasant well made  bike, I have replaced the relays as a precautionary measure and am having to sort the fogging issue but really tis just a bit of tinkering on what was a £4000 bike, I really don't mind doing it.  I still have 2.5 years of guarantee if anying major goes wrong and roadside assistance if it were to break down.  But I do trust it and would take it anywhere here.   Of course there is better and we all make different choices for different reasons and the "Your Bike is shit" stuff is just banter to me.  I like what I like and buy what I like for my reasons, as I am sure all people do.  Perhaps the world has moved on and I am still in the old headspace I remember, but I like it there 😎

I do like Hondas for many reasons but to me, admittedly an old fart, I think most of them along with many modern bikes look awful.  

I can also appreciate that Canada is a very different place and breaking down miles from help is much more of a thing for you than it ever would be for me.  In your position I would probably aspire to and stump up the extra for a premium brand like a Honda.  Mind you to be totally honest I would probably go for a BMW if I was spending a large chunk.   

• Like 5

Round two trying to fix the condensation.  This time I did exactly what Wee Jaunt did and used the exact same gasket type material as he recommended.   I dried the speedo overnight on the radiator, put in the extra gasket stuff and added more silica gel.  The keyword for the morning was 'Carefuling' channeling my inner AvE.    Now que a few more day of torrential rain to see if it worked.    

IMG_8275.jpg

IMG_8278.jpg

IMG_8279.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Saul said:

Round two trying to fix the condensation.  This time I did exactly what Wee Jaunt did and used the exact same gasket type material as he recommended.   I dried the speedo overnight on the radiator, put in the extra gasket stuff and added more silica gel.  The keyword for the morning was 'Carefuling' channeling my inner AvE.    Now que a few more day of torrential rain to see if it worked.    

IMG_8275.jpg

IMG_8278.jpg

IMG_8279.jpg

Did you dry the silica gel before you put it in or was it from a sealed packet

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saul said:

It was a new one.  

Good 👍 because as you probably already know they absorb moisture as soon as their exposed to the air and it wont be long before there are ineffective so they need to be inside whatever their going in as soon as possible and sealed up

• Like 1

Well if a job is worth doing it's worth doing 3 times 🙄  Nomisting this time but I went to reset the clock today and none of the buttons were working.  By putting the extra gasket in it has lifted the bottom side of the buttons away from the micro switches to reset, mode and abs.  Must only have been 1 or 2mm but enough to stop them working.    Never mind stripped apart again took out the old foam gasket and replaced it with the new one I got.  All seems well and the buttons are working again.   Got stripping the clocks off to a fine art now after having so much practice.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Saul said:

No mist so far.  

IMG_8448.jpg

Good news, congrats. Looks like you've cracked it. Just put my Himalayan away in underground parking, did not like to look of the size of the hailstones or raindrops on the weather forecast, they used jumbo smash your bike up sized ones, my first thought was well I haven't suffered any condensation problems yet but leaving it out in that weather is asking for it!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Good news, congrats. Looks like you've cracked it. Just put my Himalayan away in underground parking, did not like to look of the size of the hailstones or raindrops on the weather forecast, they used jumbo smash your bike up sized ones, my first thought was well I haven't suffered any condensation problems yet but leaving it out in that weather is asking for it!

What did your bike ever did to you to deserve being parked outside when you have a nice covered place for it?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

What did your bike ever did to you to deserve being parked outside when you have a nice covered place for it?

hehehe.

Well there was no garage parking left for the house I'm in so I have rented a space in another buildings underground parking down the road. And thats the key part it's down the road so if the weather is good I leave it parked outside my house and when I'm not here it's in airport parking. This is the first time there's been inclement weather when I've been here since September 2021!

• Like 1