Yen's stories

yen_powell

58 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I saw an old link in my recovered favourites list today.

When I was at infants school, which I started when I was 5 years old, they had a weird way of teaching us how to read. I couldn't make head nor tail of it and didn't actually read and write properly until I was about 10 years old. I had to go to remedial reading classes for a year as the school decided I was backwards.

The link I found is for a BBC online article about this now discredited teaching method. It starts with an example for you to translate.....and I mean translate. I had to look up what it is actually supposed to say. Have a go. Translation in the next post. No wonder I struggled as a littlun.

image.png.2141b04e65e211b43351d771659ba8cf.png

Jesus Christ what where your teachers on? That shits from some freaky trip, how did anyone buy into it??? Hang on Ill read the article, that might help 😂

edit- read the article it is a really dumb idea. "We need to teach them how to read and write so instead lets teach them something different first but quite similar so there's always confusion, then tell them to forget that and learn what they really need to know." Genius.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Jesus Christ what where your teachers on? That shits from some freaky trip, how did anyone buy into it??? Hang on Ill read the article, that might help 😂

edit- read the article it is a really dumb idea. "We need to teach them how to read and write so instead lets teach them something different first but quite similar so there's always confusion, then tell them to forget that and learn what they really need to know." Genius.

I think there were 10 ITA books that had to be read and understood in order before you were allowed to switch to normal reading and writing, or T.O. as they called it (I don't know why). My mum taught me at home to read normally and used to 'do her raving narna' at the teachers, but they were very strict, I had to complete the 10 books before I was allowed to switch to T.O. They sent me off to the remedial reading teacher along with other children who couldn't grasp the system (dribblers and balaclava wearers as I recall). It was only when we all moved to junior school that reading and writing went back to the real world. As I said, I caught up by about 9 or 10 years old.

18 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I think there were 10 ITA books that had to be read and understood in order before you were allowed to switch to normal reading and writing, or T.O. as they called it (I don't know why). My mum taught me at home to read normally and used to 'do her raving narna' at the teachers, but they were very strict, I had to complete the 10 books before I was allowed to switch to T.O. They sent me off to the remedial reading teacher along with other children who couldn't grasp the system (dribblers and balaclava wearers as I recall). It was only when we all moved to junior school that reading and writing went back to the real world. As I said, I caught up by about 9 or 10 years old.

The number of people that get totally switched off reading by school is shameful. Terrible system more akin to dog obedience training than teaching the joys of learning. Nevermind some egomaniacal expert/politician will be along shortly to insist on another ill conceived change.. and people will just go along with it 🙄

Just as well your mum was paying attention wasn't it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The number of people that get totally switched off reading by school is shameful. Terrible system more akin to dog obedience training than teaching the joys of learning. Nevermind some egomaniacal expert/politician will be along shortly to insist on another ill conceived change.. and people will just go along with it 🙄

Just as well your mum was paying attention wasn't it.

She was a great reader. She used to say she was taught to read at home before going to school and won a prize, a copy of Alice Through The Looking Glass, for some reading or writing feat at infants school. One of the things kept from my parents' house was a ratty old home made book case. I was all set to chuck it (it needs small wedges under the front to make it stand upright). Then I found a few old diaries where my mum had written out old stories and memories. When she was little my nan and grandad divorced and she said the best present her dad ever got her was building her a book case for her paperback books.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, yen_powell said:

I saw an old link in my recovered favourites list today.

When I was at infants school, which I started when I was 5 years old, they had a weird way of teaching us how to read. I couldn't make head nor tail of it and didn't actually read and write properly until I was about 10 years old. I had to go to remedial reading classes for a year as the school decided I was backwards.

The link I found is for a BBC online article about this now discredited teaching method. It starts with an example for you to translate.....and I mean translate. I had to look up what it is actually supposed to say. Have a go. Translation in the next post. No wonder I struggled as a littlun.

image.png.2141b04e65e211b43351d771659ba8cf.png

My eldest lad is left-handed and he used to get in trouble at infants and junior school because he often wrote things completely backwards, a mirror image of what it was meant to be, and had to be shown that it was backwards! 

6 minutes ago, Tango said:

My eldest lad is left-handed and he used to get in trouble at infants and junior school because he often wrote things completely backwards, a mirror image of what it was meant to be, and had to be shown that it was backwards! 

Can he still do that at will, write both ways? That is a cool skill!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Can he still do that at will, write both ways? That is a cool skill!

Probably not now, he's been conditioned out of it over the years, but it used to make me laugh when he'd done it because he couldn't see it until it was pointed out to him! 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Tango said:

Like Leonardo Da Vinci

https://www.openculture.com/2017/11/why-did-leonardo-da-vinci-write-backwards-a-look-into-the-ultimate-renaissance-mans-mirror-writing.html

• Like 1