the farthest west

MooN

The far west of the Yonne department., and the last of the cardinal points. 

Lovely spring day so after lunch, I took the thermal liners out of jacket and trousers, togged up and headed west to the D14 between Rogny Les Sept Ecluses and Fleury at

47:43'24"N, 02:50'56"E

Still no leaves on the trees yet, but the hawthorn is flowering in the hedgerows and some of the smaller flowers are starting to appear IMG_1696.thumb.JPG.d0bf0f241a2e65fb11000d3d93d105d3.JPG

nice little country cottage IMG_1697.thumb.JPG.695541d8be17f9acdca4eca909ce61ee.JPG

Due to the nice weather there were more people about than normal and Rogny Les Sept Ecluses being a popular historical landmark there were plenty cyclists, walkers, dog walkers, horse riders and even Bikers ( there was even some froggy twat on a harley complete with cut off full of badges, some fictional mc logo and rockers on the back along with a confederate flag...  I know some people in the UK who would not have hesitated to tear a strip off a knob like that...

I decided I couldn't deal with people and decided to just ride on and out to the very western edge of the departement 5 kilometres further on hereIMG_1699.PNG.0f3abe8002f3a87b87878762e3170e95.PNG

IMG_1700.thumb.JPG.6e535fd57a42c2d186436f7f5bb967f0.JPG

I wouldn't want to have to ride this road after dark at the moment, the curned up earth along the verge by the bike is wild boar damageIMG_1705.thumb.JPG.e4efd9852c9249548c688e080c8b0e75.JPG

and it looks like there was half a herd of them IMG_1707.thumb.JPG.9c132edcdeaea02f7c3ccfaa5bfacc25.JPG

somebody told me that wild boars eyes dont reflect light like a deer's do and they being black, you don't see them 'till you hit them and they weigh like 80 to 110kilos so you'd know if you hit one! 

I managed to grab a pic of the seven lock flight ( les sept écluses) at Rogny on the way back but as I didn't have my camera ( todays shots on I-phone only) it came out shitcos I was trying to avoid people so had to zoom in and had the sun in my eyes. I wanted a pic just so's I could make a cap joke about "Lockdown" but the pic is too crappy to support further ridicule. 

IMG_1709.thumb.JPG.8e9c3b85bff8f7a86c8dd9923208be6d.JPG

150km all round and ended up at the jet wash for a hose down. 

1729555689_Screenshot(22).png.2a840c69f3a4be757408792d903e4c43.png

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Excellent Chris......roads look very quiet in your shots?

they are mostly, it's not holiday season yet and, in theory at least, the departments to the north, west and northeast are in lockdown so only locals around, even at the weekends, and no body plays the tourist in their own back yard... c'ept thee 'n' me :dancebanana:

Rogny Les Sept Ecluses is usually heaving with Paris-ites and foreign camping cars but today was only locals as far as I could make out.  I also spend the vast majority of my time seeking out the quieter backroads, which may falsify somewhat the general impression ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MooN said:

they are mostly, it's not holiday season yet and, in theory at least, the departments to the north, west and northeast are in lockdown so only locals around, even at the weekends, and no body plays the tourist in their own back yard... c'ept thee 'n' me :dancebanana:

Rogny Les Sept Ecluses is usually heaving with Paris-ites and foreign camping cars but today was only locals as far as I could make out.  I also spend the vast majority of my time seeking out the quieter backroads, which may falsify somewhat the general impression ?

The way I look at it is that if we have to be under some form of lockdown......then where we currently are is a hell of a sight better place to be locked in than where we came from.

• Like 1

I went there for an epic retirement do a few years ago. We camped in a very muddy field and walked into town along the canal past all the locks -impressive.

We had to hide in a pub as we were early and didn’t want to spoil the surprise and to cut a long story short got pissed and arrived at the party late! The retiree was well impressed, and I think a little jealous. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Specs said:

I went there for an epic retirement do a few years ago. We camped in a very muddy field and walked into town along the canal past all the locks -impressive.

We had to hide in a pub as we were early and didn’t want to spoil the surprise and to cut a long story short got pissed and arrived at the party late! The retiree was well impressed, and I think a little jealous. 

but did you have fun  ?