Return of the Universal Japanese Motorcycle

Hugh Janus

The new era of Universal Japanese Motorcycles in Downtown Los Angeles.
The new era of Universal Japanese Motorcycles in Downtown Los Angeles. (Jeff Allen /)

In the early 1970s, Japanese manufacturers stormed the US market with a new genre of do-it-all motorcycle. With Honda’s CB750, Yamaha’s XS750, Suzuki’s GT750, and Kawasaki’s Z1, the Big Four were manufacturing the superbikes of the time. Eventually these strong standards would come to be known as Universal Japanese Motorcycles, or UJMs; motorcycles comfortable enough to slog through traffic on a daily commute, robust enough to load up with a passenger and some luggage for light weekend touring, and fast enough to strip down for serious sport riding. Motorcycles have evolved, and categories and subcategories have emerged with specialized uses and little visual tie to these classic machines, but the need for a stylish and versatile motorcycle remains. And so the UJM is making a comeback.

The 2020 Yamaha XSR900, 2019 Honda CB1000R, and 2020 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe are three different takes on the glory days of the Japanese standard. Each one has a character all its own, and each manufacturer brings its own flavor of nostalgia to the modern riding experience. For this test, we spent time using each motorcycle as intended: universally. We spent full days and several hundred miles on the bikes, using them for daily commutes, in traffic, and around-town riding, then leaving the city for spirited canyon runs. Prior to real-world testing, we ran them on our in-house Dynojet 250i dynamometer and gathered objective performance numbers at our private testing facility.

Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe’s small fairing adds style and wind-deflecting functionality.
Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe’s small fairing adds style and wind-deflecting functionality. (Jeff Allen/)

Street testing was conducted in Downtown Los Angeles, a hostile environment for big bikes. Dense traffic, tall buildings, and constant construction define the DTLA riding experience. It’s scooter country. Cycle World’s Executive Editor Justin Dawes and Road Test Editor Michael Gilbert met me near the Walt Disney Concert Hall, suited up with Cardo Bluetooth comms devices paired in our helmets and ready to ride.

High footpegs result in an aggressive stance on Honda’s CB1000R. Morgan Gales, seen riding here, is 6 feet, 4 inches tall.
High footpegs result in an aggressive stance on Honda’s CB1000R. Morgan Gales, seen riding here, is 6 feet, 4 inches tall. (Jeff Allen/)

It’s environments like this where the XSR’s relatively light weight, short wheelbase, and renowned CP3 engine shine. Yamaha’s 847cc triple is the quickest revving of the three tested, almost to the point of feeling twitchy. The strong, punchy power delivery is capable of upsetting the chassis during even minor throttle adjustments while riding in A or STD modes. A switch to the bike’s B mode slows throttle response, should you so desire. Still, as Dawes said, “Riding in the least aggressive map shouldn’t be the go-to on a modern motorcycle to make it behave correctly.”

The Kawasaki Z900 has the most upright ergonomic position, resulting in a comfortable ride for all three testers. Justin Dawes here is 5 feet, 10 inches tall.
The Kawasaki Z900 has the most upright ergonomic position, resulting in a comfortable ride for all three testers. Justin Dawes here is 5 feet, 10 inches tall. (Jeff Allen/)

At 6-foot-4, I look and feel big on the XSR. But I was surprised to suffer no discomfort, except for seeing the photos. In tight urban quarters, where I am typically either accelerating from a light or slowing for the next one, I had not a single complaint.

The seat of Yamaha’s XSR900 tends to slide the rider forward, resulting in a compact and aggressive stance.
The seat of Yamaha’s XSR900 tends to slide the rider forward, resulting in a compact and aggressive stance. (Jeff Allen /)

Honda’s CB1000R is smooth at low revs, not as quick to respond as the Yamaha but plenty quick when prodded. At higher revs, the 998cc inline-four sings. But here in the city, it’s simple, smooth, and consistent. Its ergonomics are the most aggressive of the three bikes, with high footpegs and a seat that tends to slide the rider forward, and it seems to beg for higher speeds as we meander through town. The Honda is stable at low speeds and drops in easily, but in this setting it just didn’t have the opportunity to show its teeth.

Honda’s styling is modern and refined, vaguely hinting at the motorcycles from which it has evolved.
Honda’s styling is modern and refined, vaguely hinting at the motorcycles from which it has evolved. (Jeff Allen/)

Despite being the heaviest and longest bike here, the Z900RS Cafe was the balanced middle ground of this trio. It is nimble and manageable at low speeds with a healthy amount of power, smooth delivery, and peak torque hitting more than 2,000 rpm earlier than the other two bikes. The footpegs are lower than the others’, and the handlebar placement is about the same. Along with the plush seat, this bike put each tester in a comfortable riding position regardless of height. It was also the only model with built-in strap points around the tailsection or any form of wind management. Those feel mighty universal.

The 2020 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe has a starting MSRP of $11,799, $500 more than the unfaired version.
The 2020 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe has a starting MSRP of $11,799, $500 more than the unfaired version. ( Jeff Allen/)

Style and spirit are large factors in this segment, and these bikes evoke nostalgia with classic lines and paint schemes. In the Arts District, we parked and enjoyed some overdressed health food while listening to comments at our COVID-safe curbside table.

Yamaha’s 2020 XSR900 in Radical White/Rapid Red starts at $9,499.
Yamaha’s 2020 XSR900 in Radical White/Rapid Red starts at $9,499. (Jeff Allen/)

Passersby paid the Honda no attention. This is rather shocking, as Honda did a great job of modernizing the aesthetic lines of the classic CB while still making a wholly new motorcycle. The line from seat to gas tank is level. The deeply flaked red paint is a modern twist on Honda’s iconic theme. But that’s the problem; it’s not stylish for style’s sake. It’s just a natural evolution of Honda design language. It’s attractive, but perhaps too modern and nuanced. If you don’t know the vintage, you don’t get the translation and this doesn’t look retro enough.

Downtown Los Angeles is a great setting for testing low-speed handling.
Downtown Los Angeles is a great setting for testing low-speed handling. (Jeff Allen/)

Those same passersby expected speed from the Yamaha, and rightly so. “Does it wheelie?” they asked. Yes, it absolutely does. But this does not look like an XS750. It looks like a MT-09 with a round headlight, a reshaped gas tank, and a vaguely ’70s paint scheme. The benefit of that? The XSR900 performs like an MT-09 in nearly every way. More so than the Honda, the Yamaha at least evokes something, even if it’s a far cry from the XS of the past.

Road Test Editor Michael Gilbert demonstrating one of the XSR’s more practiced tricks along the Malibu coastline.
Road Test Editor Michael Gilbert demonstrating one of the XSR’s more practiced tricks along the Malibu coastline. (Jeff Allen/)

But the question we were silently hoping for was, “Wow! What year is that?” And it only came when people were looking at the Kawasaki. The XSR and CB each translate their brand’s aesthetic in their own way, but neither really calls up images of its early predecessor. The tailsection, cafe cowl, and classic paint scheme really set the Kawi apart here. It’s not a replica of an old Z, but captures the spirit of the original in a modern way. It’s the only bike that started conversations, that everyone around us liked, and that all three testers could agree on.

Enjoying the view of Pacific Coast Highway on modern Universal Japanese Motorcycles.
Enjoying the view of Pacific Coast Highway on modern Universal Japanese Motorcycles. (Jeff Allen /)

We finished lunch and headed to the Pacific Coast Highway, riding north along the coast to Malibu. Long sweeping curves line the bluffs above the Pacific Ocean. The hills just inland hold miles of well-groomed tarmac, uninterrupted by traffic lights. A rider’s vision of the West Coast.

Here the Honda’s aggressive positioning felt at home, but it’s paired with an otherwise neutral ride. “The engine is smooth and comes with the biggest power output on the dyno charts,” Gilbert said, “but it doesn’t come with the pop or fun factor of the others.” The CB1000R is easy to ride. It’s confidence inspiring. But it’s lacking any real connection or character to make that ride exceptional, and in this class, character matters. Despite being the quickest of the bunch, running the quarter-mile in 10.71 seconds at 128 mph, it lacks the intangibles required to succeed in this category.

Gales taking advantage of the Honda’s aggressive ergonomics.
Gales taking advantage of the Honda’s aggressive ergonomics. (Jeff Allen/)

At 433 pounds wet, the Yamaha is flickable and feels like a weapon on these mountain roads…right until it doesn’t. This is the cheapest of the bunch by more than $2,000, and as speeds pick up, the suspension shows it. When the softly sprung 41mm inverted fork meets sharp initial brake bite, it’s unable to cope with the resulting weight transfer. Expert precision is needed to avoid the deep fork dives which upset the soft rear suspension. Potholes are punishing, and on longer straights the cramped ergonomics eventually take a toll.

The Kawasaki Z is once more the Goldilocks of the bunch. It feels longer and lower than the others, which results in stable cornering feel; but with this comes an earlier scrape point. Tip-in takes a little more effort, but once in the corner, the chassis tracks predictably. Suspension action is plush on the highways, but plenty stiff enough to handle our spirited mountain runs. Brake feel is communicative and effective, stopping the 479-pound Z in 132.1 feet—more than 2 feet shorter than the competition. And the small bikini fairing proved to be much more than a styling exercise, effectively stopping chest buffeting on the highway and providing a nice shelter when tucked in for sprints.

As the skies turned pink and orange, we parked atop one of many peaks and took in our view of the sunset from our motorcycles. “I don’t care what you say.” I told the group.”I love the styling of the Honda.”

Gilbert demonstrating the expert precision required to smoothly pilot the XSR900 through Malibu mountain roads.
Gilbert demonstrating the expert precision required to smoothly pilot the XSR900 through Malibu mountain roads. (Jeff Allen/)

“You’re so wrong it’s crazy,” Dawes said, laughing. And to him, I am. That’s the beauty of these bikes. At the end of the day, we each preferred the motorcycle we had spent the most time on. For Michael, the racer, it was the XSR which was just a little too edgy and aggressive for the rest of us. For my part, I thoroughly enjoyed the Honda’s modern styling and how brilliantly easy it was to ride, though I will admit it does not best encapsulate what it means to be a UJM. The Z900RS most successfully walks the line between performance and nostalgia; in the end, you get a healthy dose of each.

The Kawasaki performs at the level of today’s more sporty motorcycles while fitting the silhouette of an early ’80s UJM. From pleated seat to tuned exhaust note, it calls on the past while letting you ride as you would on a modern Z. For commuting, spirited canyon runs, or even light touring, this is one well-rounded bike. The Z900RS Cafe brilliantly delivers everything we expect of today’s Universal Japanese Motorcycle.

2020 Yamaha XSR900

MSRP: $9,499
Engine: 847cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, inline three-cylinder; 12 valves
Bore x Stroke: 78.0 x 59.1mm
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Cycle World Measured Horsepower: 103.98 hp @ 10,150 rpm
Cycle World Measured Torque: 58.92 lb.-ft. @ 8,050 rpm
Fuel System: Fuel injection
Clutch: Wet, multiplate assist and slipper
Engine Management/Ignition: Transistor-controlled ignition
Frame: Cast aluminum
Front Suspension: 41mm inverted fork, adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping; 5.4-in. travel
Rear Suspension: Single shock, adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping; 5.1-in. travel
Front Brake: Radial-mounted 4-piston caliper, floating 298mm discs w/ ABS
Rear Brake: 245mm disc w/ ABS
Wheels, Front/Rear: 10-spoke cast aluminum alloy; 17-in.
Tires, Front/Rear: Bridgestone Battlax S20; 120/70ZR-17 front / 180/55ZR-17
Rake/Trail: 25.0°/4.1 in.
Wheelbase: 56.7 in.
Seat Height: 32.7 in.
Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gal.
Cycle World Measured Wet Weight: 433 lb.
Availability: In dealerships now

2019 Honda CB1000R ABS

MSRP: $12,999
Engine: 998cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, inline four-cylinder
Bore x Stroke: 75.0 x 56.5mm
Cycle World Measured Horsepower: 120.13 hp @ 9,700 rpm
Cycle World Measured Torque: 68.59 lb.-ft. @ 8,180 rpm
Fuel System: PGM-FI fuel injection w/ automatic enrichment circuit and 44mm throttle bodies
Clutch: Slipper/assist
Engine Management/Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorized w/ electronic advance
Frame: Steel backbone w/ aluminum pivot plates
Front Suspension: Fully adjustable 43mm Showa SFF-BP; 4.3-in. travel
Rear Suspension: Showa, adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping; 5.2-in. travel
Front Brake: Dual radial-mounted 4-piston calipers, full-floating 310mm discs w/ ABS
Rear Brake: Single caliper, 256mm disc w/ ABS
Tires, Front/Rear: 120/70-17 / 190/55-17
Rake/Trail: 24.7°/3.8 in.
Wheelbase: 57.3 in.
Seat Height: 32.7 in.
Fuel Capacity: 4.3 gal.
Cycle World Measured Wet Weight: 467 lb.

2020 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

MSRP: $11,799
Engine: 948cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, inline four-cylinder; 16 valves
Bore x Stroke: 73.4 x 56.0mm
Cycle World Measured Horsepower: 94.65 hp @ 8,590 rpm
Cycle World Measured Torque: 63.51 lb.-ft. @ 6,040 rpm
Fuel System: Fuel injected w/ 36mm throttle bodies
Clutch: Assist and slipper
Engine Management/Ignition: TCBI w/ electronic advance
Frame: Tubular steel diamond frame
Front Suspension: Fully adjustable 41mm inverted fork; 4.7-in. travel
Rear Suspension: Monoshock, adjustable for rebound damping and spring preload; 5.5 in. travel
Front Brake: 4-piston monoblock calipers, 300mm discs w/ ABS
Rear Brake: 1-piston pin-slide caliper, 250mm disc w/ ABS
Tires, Front/Rear: 120/70ZR-17 / 180/55ZR-17
Rake/Trail: 25.0°/3.9 in.
Wheelbase: 57.9 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.1 in.
Seat Height: 32.3 in.
Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gal.
Cycle World Measured Wet Weight: 479 lb.

CW Measured Performance Yamaha XSR900

Quarter-mile 11.52 sec. @ 121.25 mph
0–30 1.61 sec.
0–60 3.48 sec.
0–100 7.27 sec.
Top-gear Roll-on, 40–60 mph 3.08 sec.
Top-gear Roll-on, 60–80 mph 3.70 sec.
Braking, 30–0 38.61 ft.
Braking, 60–0 135.19 ft.

CW Measured Performance Honda CB1000R ABS

Quarter-mile 10.71 sec. @ 128.29 mph
0–30 1.30 sec.
0–60 3.21 sec.
0–100 6.27 sec.
Top-gear Roll-on, 40–60 mph 2.53 sec.
Top-gear Roll-on, 60–80 mph 2.85 sec.
Braking, 30–0 35.17 ft.
Braking, 60–0 134.77 ft.

CW Measured Performance Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Quarter-mile 11.85 sec. @ 116.54 mph
0–30 1.62 sec.
0–60 3.50 sec.
0–100 7.98 sec.
Top-gear Roll-on, 40–60 mph 3.46 sec.
Top-gear Roll-on, 60–80 mph 3.60 sec.
Braking, 30–0 34.55 ft.
Braking, 60–0 132.11 ft.

Source

Just now, XTreme said:

And I'd throw in the CB500X as well.

I think that it would be the 750 from what I see in Portugal, loads of them around. But yes, I agree with that.

And, I always feel better riding something with a trailie sort of chassis or riding position, so something like that is always what I would choose as a bike to tackle traffic and  daily life. 

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I think that it would be the 750 from what I see in Portugal, loads of them around. But yes, I agree with that.

And, I always feel better riding something with a trailie sort of chassis or riding position, so something like that is always what I would choose as a bike to tackle traffic and  daily life. 

Absolutely!

Course if you look at the original UJM's they all had high, wide bars and forward footrests........but over the years the bars got lower and narrower and the footrests went back.

So the UJM's actually changed a lot over time.

9.jpg.08521d58d4ecc27a19f45646bd0b3b17.jpg

• Like 1

I had a sit on a naked version of that, and it surprised me how comfy it was. Good seat.

I would like something like that but honestly don't know what I'd use it for except look cool on a sunday morning ride to go get coffee.

• Like 1

Well I don't know if you'd call this a UJM (probably too small an engine) but I was really keen on it when I saw on the web for sale last night.  By time this morning had come around it was sold ?  bloody gutted, I could see myself riding that on a nice summers day.

s-l1600.jpg.5ebeda2bf0686a90b01f6e1a6425b751.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Well I don't know if you'd call this a UJM (probably too small an engine) but I was really keen on it when I saw on the web for sale last night.  By time this morning had come around it was sold ?  bloody gutted, I could see myself riding that on a nice summers day.

s-l1600.jpg.5ebeda2bf0686a90b01f6e1a6425b751.jpg

I learned to ride and took my test on a 225cc version of that (I think it was 225, might have been 200), the big balloon tires make for an interesting handling on tarmac, and I think steal a lot of pep out of the engine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I learned to ride and took my test on a 225cc version of that (I think it was 225, might have been 200), the big balloon tires make for an interesting handling on tarmac, and I think steal a lot of pep out of the engine.

I think your right Pedro but to be fair I don't think there's a lot of pep in that engine anyway :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

I think your right Pedro but to be fair I don't think there's a lot of pep in that engine anyway :classic_laugh:

No, there isn't, but it has nice character in the way it runs, feels like a quality engine even if it's not fast at all.

• Like 1