If can work, can ride. If can't ride, can't work.

MooN

I decided that if I was able to continue working than I must be able to ride and that If I can;t ride then I shouldn't be working.

the sun came out between rain clouds and though the temps were not high I peeled the cover of the bike, checked tyre pressures and went for a ride. The most difficult part was getting my left arm into my jacket wit the thermal liner in...

Managed 100km and was just getting warmed up but needed to be back to send No.1 back to Uni.  The rain clouds were moving south so I shot through a gap by riding eastwards. This was just outside chablis looking south

IMG_1472.thumb.JPG.04dfd410081d1e606d3d468e04e0a5ff.JPG

and looking north. the trick was going to be staying in the gap between the two rain cells. 

IMG_1473.thumb.JPG.094d85d13c4599ed59a4ed311fb921be.JPG

I ran south untill i caught up with the rain from the southern cell around Joux la villeso cut back westwards (ish) along its trailing edge, crossing the route Nationale and the river Cure at Voutenay and turning more northwest around the western edge of the northern cloud mass. I got rained on for 5 minutes but nothing serious. by the time I got to Mailly la ville the roads were bone dry as it clearly hadn't rained here all day. I crossed the Yonne river on the 15th century bridge at Mailly le chateau 

IMG_1476.thumb.JPG.5c940eb91ce8bfb19319b73e67a053e5.JPG

IMG_1479.thumb.JPG.ff3b9b621049faf0bbd43d27ff2e44a1.JPG

I closed the loop by riding back via Champs sur yonne to refuel.

route map: 161728624_Screenshot(18).png.b5637a897d9f7b06e4d7abac8862982e.png

100km, an hour and a half ish and no pain or discomfort in either shoulder or knee which is reassuring. 

• Like 5

Nice one Chris......I love the shots of the small towns and villages there. They're so different to here.

Cos back in 2005 I wanted to go to France.......but I got outvoted 3-1 in favour of Spain. :classic_sad:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Specs said:

This is my favourite time of the year for riding, but .......................... lockdown. ?

We're lucky here so far in that respect Alan. I fear some of the bigger towns will close down again, No 1 daughter is afraid that Dijon Uni is about to send them all home and install "distance learning" by computor.  I'm afraid that having gone from Lockdown to zorking flat out so that others can have their holidays we'll be locked down again as soon as I am furlough'd in november...  Thay wont lock down till then cos it's half term next week for 2 weeks so at least i'll get that. Now I just have to refuse the knee operation till early november so that I can get some riding in before hand.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Nice one Chris......I love the shots of the small towns and villages there. They're so different to here.

Cos back in 2005 I wanted to go to France.......but I got outvoted 3-1 in favour of Spain. :classic_sad:

you'd have fallen out with the ex-pats here Pete they're mostly piss heads and wasters or complete tossers with too much money. you'd probably end up like me having nothing to do with them, at leat you could deny even being the same nationality, I have to lie... 

• Haha 5

The return of students to universities is spreading it like crazy here. I expect to see a total lockdown again by the end of the month. 
Poor buggers are getting hit for online tuition, which they could do at home, and accommodation which they can’t leave. There also having to pay for prison food, like jam sandwiches for breakfast and Pot Noodles for meals.

I wouldn’t blame them for breaking out and going home.

It’s a bloody shambles.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MooN said:

you'd have fallen out with the ex-pats here Pete they're mostly piss heads and wasters or complete tossers with too much money. you'd probably end up like me having nothing to do with them, at leat you could deny even being the same nationality, I have to lie... 

Yeh.....you're stuck with that baggage Chris!

I don't bother with any Brits here.....apart from one or two I've known for many years who are decent people. But that type is rare. Not that we get that many here anyway really.

Do you have many expats in that region then?

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Yeh.....you're stuck with that baggage Chris!

I don't bother with any Brits here.....apart from one or two I've known for many years who are decent people. But that type is rare. Not that we get that many here anyway really.

Do you have many expats in that region then?

less now than a few years ago, ut plenty work within the local tourist industry. I use the term "work" in the loosest sense... and a few more who work in the wine industry as the largest exports of wine from the Chablis vinyards are ( or were) the uk and the states, neither of which nationalities are renown for their willingness to communicate in a language other than their own so native speakers are employed by the big vinyards. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Specs said:

The return of students to universities is spreading it like crazy here. I expect to see a total lockdown again by the end of the month. 
Poor buggers are getting hit for online tuition, which they could do at home, and accommodation which they can’t leave. There also having to pay for prison food, like jam sandwiches for breakfast and Pot Noodles for meals.

It’s a bloody shambles.  

No tuition fees here... YAY!... and my No1 ( of whom I am immensly proud, but for gods sake dont tell her that and I know she ain't on here) was hard working and clever enough to earn a "bourse", closest translation is a grant I suppose which means that we actually pay very very little other than her lodging which is very little compared to uk costs. Dijon is the centre of burgundian gastronomy and the food im the university restaurant thing is quite good and only costs her 1€ per meal...

I do sometimes realise just how lucky I am to be living where I do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MooN said:

I do sometimes realise just how lucky I am to be living where I do.

You've got that right.

Maybe I should have tried harder at French!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Specs said:

It’s a bloody shambles.  

I don't want want to knock the youngsters but I understood that going to university was to improve your edumacation, not party every night and then spread covid everywhere ?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I don't want want to knock the youngsters but I understood that going to university was to improve your edumacation, not party every night and then spread covid everywhere ?

Feeling Old New Girl GIF