The 5 Best Motorcycle Cameras

Peon Maface

Motorcyclists love to tell stories about things that happened while they were riding. Having video evidence to back it up makes the stories even more fun. Who would believe you if you said that, as you were hard on the brakes from 160+ mph into Turn 2 at Laguna Seca, a ground squirrel ran across the track in front of you and the $100,000 Ducati Superleggera you were piloting? Well, Troy was able to document Mister Squiggles’ near-fatal dash thanks to his helmet cam and put an end to our disbelief. (See the proof here.)

Heroics aside, traveling by motorcycle is even more fun when you can capture the important moments of your trip while you’re actually riding. Group rides can be relived later. Track day lean angles can impress your buddies.

You just need to choose the right action camera, and you’ve got a ton of options. There are helmet cams, 360 cams, and even permanently mounted dash cams for commuters to use in case of a mishap. No matter what you want to record, there is a camera to handle that task. So, we’ve chosen what we think are the best motorcycle cameras around. Let us know in the comments if you have a personal favorite that isn’t mentioned here.

GoPro Hero7 Silver

072920-best-motorcycle-camera-gopr-hero7.jpg

If it weren’t for GoPro, there wouldn’t be an action camera market, and the GoPro Hero7 Silver is a great way to get started in documenting all your moto-adventures. First, the Hero7 is totally waterproof for year-round riding. The built-in GPS can track your speed and altitude. You can record in 4K 30fps video and time-lapse movies, while the image stabilization smooths your progress down bumpy roads. Settings are accessed by the touch screen, and of course, you can view your videos there, too. Voice control allows you to easily start the camera.

Although the MSRP is $199, you can find it online for significantly less.

Bottom Line/Great entry-level action camera

GoPro Hero8 Black

072920-best-motorcycle-camera-gopr-hero8.jpg

Riders who are serious about their onboard video will opt for the GoPro Hero8 Black. Vibration and shaky videos are a thing of the past with the Hero8’s three levels of stabilization. According to GoPro, this allows you to “Get the widest views, or boost to the smoothest video ever offered in a HERO camera. Works with all resolutions and frame rates, and features in-app horizon leveling.” Expandable Mods allow vloggers and budding filmmakers to upgrade the Hero8’s capabilities with microphone or light mods. How about live streaming 1080p video on social media? TimeWarp 2.0 allows super-stabilized time-lapse videos while moving through an activity. Want to see your whole ride in a few minutes? Capture 4K UHD 2160p video for high-quality viewing. You can even capture 12mp photos and photo bursts.

Available for $350.

Bottom Line/The industry standard for action cameras

INNOVV K2 Dual Channel Motorcyle Motocam

072920-best-motorcycle-camera-innovv.jpg

The INNOVV K2 is a dual-channel camera system that permanently mounts to your bike for simultaneous recording of front and rear views in Full HD 1080p 30fps, 720p 60fps, and 720p 30fps. The simple out-of-the-way design mounts unobtrusively to your bike, and the videos are accessed via a smart device app, which is available for both Android and iOS. Download the files wirelessly to your phone and share from there to your favorite social media outlets. The main controller (DVR) is rated IP65 dust and water-resistant, while the cameras are rated IP68 dust and water-resistant. The controller and camera housings are CNC aluminum for durability. The system supports up to 128GB microSD cards. For simplicity, the system has the option to start recording as soon as you start your bike. That way you never miss a moment – a feature that commuters will love for its “dashcam” functionality.

The INNOVV K2 MotoCam retails for $338.

MO Tested: INNOVV K2 Motorcycle Camera System Review

Bottom Line/Record front and back views simultaneously

insta360 ONE R Sports Video Adaptive Action Camera

072920-best-motorcycle-camera-insta360.jpg

The insta360 ONE R is the action camera for the rider who wants maximum versatility. The One R is built around a modular system that consists of a control unit with a built-in touchscreen, a lens module, and a battery pack that holds them together. The 360-degree camera records at 5.7K resolution, allowing the view direction to be selected in post-production. Plug in the 16.4mm equivalent focal length lens module, and you can record traditional action cam video in 4K at 60fps and 1080p at up to 200 fps. The wide-angle module was jointly developed with the Leica camera company, and it features a 1-inch sensor for recording 5.3K at 30fps and 4K at 60fps, 1080p, or 120fps. The camera’s construction allows for the touchscreen to face either forward or rearward for increased flexibility. The system is waterproof to 5m (16 feet), and a variety of mounts are available.

The insta360 ONE R retails for $499 in the twin pack.

Bottom Line/Perfect for the rider who wants both 360° and traditional wide angle action video

Sena 10C EVO

072920-best-motorcycle-camera-sena.jpg

The Sena 10C EVO is the company’s sole camera entry in their line of Bluetooth and Mesh communicators. The 10C EVO combines Bluetooth communications with 4K video. The camera captures video at 4K 30fps. Other video features include Video tagging and Smart Audio Mix. When the 10C EVO is in standby mode, the Video Tagging feature records the minute before and after the rider presses the Video Tagging button. Smart Audio Mix allows for Bluetooth conversations to be recorded to the captured video. Then the Sena 10C EVO is also a Bluetooth communicator that allows the rider to be able to communicate with up to four others over a claimed one-mile range. Pairing to your smartphone allows for calls, music, or GPS directions to be broadcast to the rider. Additionally, the camera preview mode lets the rider verify that the camera is in the correct orientation for the bike they are riding. Additionally, videos can be downloaded to the phone for sharing.

The Sena 10C EVO retails for $399.

Bottom Line/Ideal for moto-vloggers

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews and other articles. Learn more about how this works.

Become a Motorcycle.com insider. Get the latest motorcycle news first by subscribing to our newsletter here.

The post The 5 Best Motorcycle Cameras appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

LRlsc7Aec08

Source

GoPro all the way, I use a bunch of Hero7 Black's and I have shit kicked my camera's.  All weather, all conditions and they just keep going.  Love these little cameras.  ?  The footage is also easy to work with and edit.  The GoPro 360Max is a bit harder to edit, but well worth it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

I don’t understand any of this, it is some sort of pagan alchemy.

tv show lol GIF

@Tym........can you clue Buck in on this latest phenomenon known as Cameras?

• Haha 1

I do like the idea of having a couple of videos of myself riding, but the whole idea of setting  camera, remembering to turn it on, turn it off, take it off the bike, it all sounds so exhausting and i feel it takes away from the enjoyment of it all. Not to mention that afterwords you've got huge video files to go through and that takes ages, it's not for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

I do like the idea of having a couple of videos of myself riding, but the whole idea of setting  camera, remembering to turn it on, turn it off, take it off the bike, it all sounds so exhausting and i feel it takes away from the enjoyment of it all. Not to mention that afterwords you've got huge video files to go through and that takes ages, it's not for me.

Yeh.....but if somebody pulls out or knocks you off then you got em by the balls.

No more my word against their word.

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

Well ummmm, ok.....that party is over.  ?  I guess stick with what you like, I have a blast making videos...

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

Yeh.....but if somebody pulls out or knocks you off then you got em by the balls.

No more my word against their word.

or if you almost die, it is on camera for your future enjoyment.... ?  Just like my next video which I am working on, my first near death experience, it will be a good one...

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

or if you almost die, it is on camera for your future enjoyment.... ?  Just like my next video which I am working on, my first near death experience, it will be a good one...

I'm sure there'll be no shortage of guys ready to administer mouth to mouth Michelle!

Lucky for you it won't be anybody from here though.....so you dodged the bullet on that one! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Well ummmm, ok.....that party is over.  ?  I guess stick with what you like, I have a blast making videos...

I enjoy watching them too, so it all works out

• Like 1