Valentino Rossi’s Right Hand, Alessio Salucci

Hugh Janus

Alessio “Uccio” Salucci has been Rossi’s right hand and has set the example for other “Uccios.”
Alessio “Uccio” Salucci has been Rossi’s right hand and has set the example for other “Uccios.” (Mooney VR46/)

Being a “Uccio” has become a profession in the MotoGP paddock. Alessio “Uccio” Salucci, Valentino Rossi’s assistant—and classmate since they were at the kindergarten—has maintained a relationship that has helped the Doctor to keep strong connection with his roots. He is not a psychologist, nor a mechanic: He is the friend. Such a precious presence that over time, it has become a profession, and now every rider has their own Uccio. We are talking about that friend who prepares the racer’s helmet, boots, gloves, leathers, and, in general, is alongside him while traveling or training. But Uccio is even more in the VR46 world.

The uniqueness of VR46 is that Valentino and Uccio’s profound friendship led to the creation of a legacy: first the VR46 Academy, then Moto3 and Moto2 teams, and finally a MotoGP team.

This season the Mooney VR46 team is realizing success with the first win in MotoGP in Argentina with Marco Bezzecchirepeated in France—along with leading a handful of races. He now sits in third position in the championship, just one point back from Pramac Ducati’s Jorge Martín. A championship is a very real possibility, with only 36 points separating him and the leader, Francesco Bagnaia.

Uccio Salucci reveals the secret of the Italian team, where family comes first.

Nine podiums in eight races for the VR46 team so far, I guess you are living a dream.

We never thought we could win and lead the championship at the second race this year. It was very special. Vale was also very happy and emotional at the same time for this result. Bez and Maro (Luca Marini) have grown a lot and are very motivated.

Marco Bezzecchi has been the true revelation this season. Now, many teams would like to take him away from you. Are you worried?

I’ve seen many things in this sport, but I’m not worried. I personally would like that Bez remains with us one more year. The only thing is that I cannot grant him a factory bike. It’s up to Ducati. I hope they can do it, although it is not easy.

Marco Bezzecchi now sits in third in the 2023 MotoGP championship points.
Marco Bezzecchi now sits in third in the 2023 MotoGP championship points. (Mooney VR46/)

There are some rumors about Bez’s possible switch to Pramac Racing, but he has expressed the desire to remain in the VR46 family.

I personally would like that Bez could remain with us but under different conditions. Let me explain: Now Marco has a salary and a technical package in line with those of a satellite team; it’s not fair for him to continue like this. I’d like him to stay in VR46 with a factory bike and a direct contract with Ducati.

What is the philosophy of the VR46 Team that sees Valentino Rossi as ideator and team principal?

In a way the team is an evolution of the academy. The idea dates back some years ago and it started for fun. It came mainly from the Sic [Marco Simoncelli]. He was the first to be included in the close circle of friends that Valentino had created around him—made mainly from us, his close friends since childhood, to protect and keep information confidential. Nowadays our sport has become very professional, but 20, 15 years ago it was more of a discipline for crazy people. Paolo Simoncelli and Marco started to train in the same gym where Vale was training. Slowly, slowly he started to join us at “La Cava,” where we were training with the bike and Vale decided to open his close circle to Marco.

There was a lot of privacy in the past.

Yes, we tried to keep our working method secret. Then with the academy we started to share it with our riders. We didn’t have many expectations, mainly because it was not a business-oriented project. The main target was to support young riders who were also friends. Passion was the key. We wanted to do something different. In the years we have become more structured till we created the team.

Which are the qualities that you look for in a young talent?

You see the riding skills while braking, a clean style, the technique, but then it’s also a lot related to the sensibility.

The VR46 Academy does not have profit as its priority…

It has never been our goal. If you build a team to make money, you start with the wrong foot, because you start to limit things that eventually affect the performance. In addition, it’s no longer the golden era when there was a lot of money in the business. Now everything is tight.

The VR46 Academy is more than talent scouting, because the riders were training with a champion like Valentino who was still active.

When we started, the gap was huge; they were young kids and for them Vale was god. Then they grew exponentially and this displaced us. However, all this has not affected our work; we had made a commitment and we never changed our approach. We continued to carry it out by helping them in their growth and then the successes arrived.

You have always been alongside Valentino Rossi. Do you think it’s possible to find his heir?

Not at the moment, then in the future you never know. In my opinion it’s not even right to look for an heir. We would be all wrong if we did. Each person has their own character, their own personality.

What is the highlight that made the Doctor so unique and unrepeatable?

The switch to Yamaha because leaving a winning Honda to join a weaker team and winning straight away wasn’t a given.

And then this special relationship with the fans?

The spectators are not stupid, they perceive these things, so the support is a consequence of what you do on and off track.

Can Mooney VR46 hold on to Bez? Salucci hopes so.
Can Mooney VR46 hold on to Bez? Salucci hopes so. (Mooney VR46/)

Looking at the Mooney VR46 Team—which are the characteristics of your riders?

Bez (Marco Bezzecchi) is a very aggressive guy on the track but when he’s in the garage he’s very precise, almost maniacal. Then in normal life he is a very sweet and fantastic guy. Luca (Marini), on the other hand, is very elegant when he rides and in normal life.

Can the VR46 Academy be replicated?

Why not? Thanks to Vale, we have a working method that works really well. We could do it although there are many factors to take into consideration, especially the tracks and the riders. We have been asked to do it in more than one country, especially in Asia, but at the moment we don’t feel like doing it. For us it is not a business.

How important is the friendship between you two?

Very important. At one point Vale said, “I need an assistant.” I didn’t think twice and here’s our story.

Many “Uccios” eventually changed jobs. You represented the perfect prototype; a sort of unconditional trust in your rider.

When Vale used to arrive in the garage, he looked at me to see if everything was OK. I was his reference. There was friendship, and there is even now. And luckily, he never changed the Uccio.

How is Vale as a boss?

He is tough. He doesn’t speak much, but when he doesn’t like something he is very direct. He is fully involved in all our projects.

How difficult has it been to be Uccio? Throughout the years, you have received many compliments but also some criticisms.

I never hurt anyone. Critics are also part of the game, especially nowadays with social media, but I’m a happy person—in peace with myself.

Source

23 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Have you got the pyjamas as well Bob?

No, but this is my 23 year old cap.  It's a little bit manky now as I've never washed it properly but I still wear it :classic_cool:

IMG_5441.thumb.jpeg.5f0082cb11b8a3704ad5cd472292afcb.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

Can you not have a sexy curvy italian brunette as an Uccio?

Depends how much money you're willing to shell out , all that botox and fillers costs a bit ...................

2_MAIN-PICS-Italian-TV-presenter-Floriana-Messina-is-dubbed-Kim-Kardashian-of-Vesuvius-and-has-N.webp.66653943ef6aaf2b9d4501430fff7437.webp