business with pleasure

MooN

Despite other sh!t going on I abandoned the children to their own devices for a couple of hours this afternoon and headed out to do something useful... and clear the mind at the same time. 

I used "Kurviger" to plan a route as I had 3 fixed waypoints I needed to visit to verify the availability of water and electric hook ups for our boats in  the event of us actually being able to run this season. We have a guide on each boat for the clients which I update at the beginnin of each season and I have found that the most reliable way of getting valid information is to go and look ofr myself... so waypoints were Surgy, Villiers sur Yonne and Monceau le compte. add start and finish and kurviger sorts out a route based on various other criteria ( fastest, shortest, main roads, curvey or downright winding) I added a couple of other waypoints to take in one or two portions I wanted to ride, export to " Scenic" on the "mefone" and jobs done. 

screen capture for those who like, those who don't like can do the other thing...

1608027088_30mai2020.png.2dc3b54e5208a2beef1fb50b116dfec7.png

First stop Surgy,

Neither water or power available here which came as no surprise but a nice picnic area and ahade to hide in

DSC03927.thumb.JPG.7dfcc36628a55acad48a1d60400730b7.JPG

Temps in the upper 20's so shade is always welcome when disguised in bike gear

Back over the river, not in the shade...

DSC03930.thumb.JPG.94b13d30daa8de17f63ab94151e35f72.JPG

and on through Clamecy to Villiers sur Yonne to see if there's still a standpipe at the little port there

Villiers Sur Yonne

DSC03938.thumb.JPG.6875701bec7aef2294f59a32b3dd4764.JPG

it looked like a snowstorm had just gone through, look at all the white fluffon the ground

DSC03936.thumb.JPG.4067961e265eddc612d7639a0381ffd7.JPG

The stand pipe is still there and even has a pair of fonctionning taps... no water in it though but I found the stop cock under a steel plate so I know it can be nade to work as and when needed.  I also say this, as important a peice of leisure equipement as any if ever Boboneleg comes this way again...

DSC03932.thumb.JPG.8fd2106d3f6e6636e48a284294a737ff.JPG

a pleasant spot to sit and contemplate

DSC03933.thumb.JPG.5632848b7bb07757a12bba3535af7262.JPG

I moved on from here heading towards Bazoches, across country on the minor roads, I wanted a closer look at this hilltop building which i'd never seen before

DSC03940.thumb.JPG.d700a3fd04096e5ae18f4bb1f1d50d13.JPG

the road up was narrow and steep but gave some good views of the surrounding countryside

DSC03943.thumb.JPG.759cba4d1a05785b43fb3bb03d2e1e82.JPG

DSC03946.thumb.JPG.d960df8e836ba00a9d89916fba5f69cd.JPG

DSC03947.thumb.JPG.b191f97b0c0f401398e4d3911802f625.JPG

From afar I thought it might just be a grain silo or something but a bit odd perched up there on the hill. Turns out it's a very nicely maintained chapel 

DSC03944.thumb.JPG.5490485db1936ac90cc88a5d7ee76cc1.JPG

Time was getting on and I need to get home, the roads from here were all well known to me and fairly rapid, here to Bazoches was again smaller back roads but then it was then quick and straightforward.  got home around 6, just in time for aperitifs... ?  cheers!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Superb shots Chris!

Completely different type of environment to mine.

yep, hilly, woody and green Pete. it'll be hilly, woody and brown if it doesn't rais soon. reservoirs and rivers are all full but we'be just had the hottest and dryest spring on record. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MooN said:

yep, hilly, woody and green Pete. it'll be hilly, woody and brown if it doesn't rais soon. reservoirs and rivers are all full but we'be just had the hottest and dryest spring on record. 

We had one of the wettest Springs ever. It's greener now than I've ever seen it.......but not for long!

Scorched Earth coming soon!

Good stuff, France at it's best if you had a picture of a baguette and pate or a butter and ham sandwich as well. 

How are you enjoying the Triumph on these day trips?

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Good stuff, France at it's best if you had a picture of a baguette and pate or a butter and ham sandwich as well. 

How are you enjoying the Triumph on these day trips?

the tigger is absolutely brilliant, I'm loving it. twice the hp of the tralp and just sooo much ore refined. I'm not so confident with it off road yet where it is a little heavier and the power delivery is much different. I had the tralp for 17 years and over 140,000 km so it will take a while to get that level of confidence back with another bike anyway.

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Surely it's capable enough, what tires are on it?

oh yeah it's not the bike that's not capable Pedro... 

I've currently got Pirelli scorpion trail II front and back and I really like them on the road, not enough testing off road to make an informed opinion yet. Very similar to the michelin anakee II 's that I ran on the tralp, can't fault them on road and I have learnt to push the tiger waaaaay beyond anything the tralp could do on the tarmac. 

• Like 1

I really rate the Continental TKC70s I have now on road, both dry and wet, and they give plenty of confidence in the kind of dry hard packed dirt I see in your dirt road reports.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pedro said:

I really rate the Continental TKC70s I have now on road, both dry and wet, and they give plenty of confidence in the kind of dry hard packed dirt I see in your dirt road reports.

I do tend to avoid off road when it's wet, I have neither the tyres nor the riding ability to deal with it. First rule of staying alive when your on your own,, know your limits.  Plenty of tyres around that would be better suited to the sort of offroad I do but I would then almost certainly loose something at the other end of the performance scale when I'm trying to keep up with the other nutters ahen group riding ( BMW 1100RR  Yam R1, a brace of fjr1300's CBR1000RR, vfr 800, vfr 1200 etc etc. The tiger is far better at this than the transalp was, unless it got really twisty...

• Like 1

That run looks bloody awesome Chris, I'd love to be doing some of that right now :littleguy:

I don't think I'm going to make it to France this year.  We were going to ride the TET down to the Italian border, ferry was booked for next Saturday but I can't see it happening at all this year .