RevZilla 1981 R80 GS

Saul

10 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I’m not a great fan of BMW’s but I’d happily have one of those 

To my mind Airhead BMW's are in a class of their own, truly beautifully made machines from a different set of values to todays.   I spent many years in the Airheads BMW club, I had 3, 1981 R65, 1978 R100RS and 1993 R100R.  I really regret selling the R100RS but we all have 20/20 hindsight.  Now if I could find one I would love a R80ST but wouldn't want to pay what they are fetching now.   I remember the furore I received from the Airheads when I bought a K100RS.  The gist of the criticism was; why would you buy one of those things, after 250,000 they are just plain worn out.   Only in an airhead context could that be seen as a criticism.   I would love another but by modern standards they are not viable as everyday transport, just to thirsty and not enough electrical power to run all the electrical gubbins people have nowadays.  You can get modern alternators, fuel injection and stuff but an old air cooled twin can't really compete with many modern machines.   Most modern 500cc Japanese and other stuff would completely wipe the floor with them in every aspect apart from longevity.  Doesn't stop me wanting one though but I struggle with the concept of having a garage queen.

• Like 3

Back in the ‘80’s I worked in California for a couple of years on an electronics contract. The company provided me with a Lincoln Town Car which was about 70 feet long, I could park it at the office in San Jose and the back end was still in Los Gatos (look it up retards).

The president of the company invited me over for a barbecue, welcome to the company kind of thing and he had a 79 R100RT covered in dust in his garage with a scraped fairing and broken screen, he had bought it, rode it one day, fell off it and his wife banned him from riding it again, probably wise as he kept crashing his Jeep as well.

Anyway to cut a long story short, we got it into the boot of the Lincoln and I took it and recommissioned it, removed the screen and rode the shit out of it for two years, I even ran it around Laguna Seca a couple of times and rode through Death Valley on it, it was absolutely brilliant.

When I got back to the U.K. what did I go out and buy?

You guessed it.

A gixxer.

• Haha 6

On 04/12/2022 at 10:14, Buckster said:

Back in the ‘80’s I worked in California for a couple of years on an electronics contract. The company provided me with a Lincoln Town Car which was about 70 feet long, I could park it at the office in San Jose and the back end was still in Los Gatos (look it up retards).

The president of the company invited me over for a barbecue, welcome to the company kind of thing and he had a 79 R100RT covered in dust in his garage with a scraped fairing and broken screen, he had bought it, rode it one day, fell off it and his wife banned him from riding it again, probably wise as he kept crashing his Jeep as well.

Anyway to cut a long story short, we got it into the boot of the Lincoln and I took it and recommissioned it, removed the screen and rode the shit out of it for two years, I even ran it around Laguna Seca a couple of times and rode through Death Valley on it, it was absolutely brilliant.

You guessed it.

A harley plough.

Happy World Cup GIF by Three Lions

On 04/12/2022 at 10:14, Buckster said:

You guessed it.

A gixxer.

Bet the Lincoln Towncar was right up your street