Model Update: The 2022 Ducati Multistrada V4

Hugh Janus

After only a year on the market, the Ducati Multistrada V4 is already getting some updates. Of particular interest, the V4 S gets a new, semi-auto ride-height function
After only a year on the market, the Ducati Multistrada V4 is already getting some updates. Of particular interest, the V4 S gets a new, semi-auto ride-height function (Ducati/)

Since its introduction just last year, Ducati’s Multistrada V4 has proven to be an advanced grand tourer, following the current super-enduro GT trend that’s currently so popular. The engine, of course, was the key ingredient: a non-desmo 1,158cc V-4 developing 170 hp at 10,500 rpm and 92 pound-feet of torque at 8,750 rpm. Packaged in a balanced chassis and wrapped in aggressive bodywork, the bike offered an advanced electronics suite including front and rear radar sensors to monitor traffic conditions, adaptive cruise control, and a blind spot detection system. Ducati, of course, also offered a wide range of accessories.

The Multistrada V4′s chassis is based on the same cast aluminum concept originally developed for the Panigale V4 superbike. Its construction provides high torsional rigidity along with light weight, and the bike delivers excellent stability, agility, and versatility in both on- and off-road riding.

Ducati aimed to offer a bike with high levels of reliability and comfort, an engaging riding experience, and superior safety. Those primary virtues helped make the Multistrada V4 an instant success, with more than 10,000 units sold in its first year. Prestige and purity aside, the current generation of Ducatisti obviously embraces and appreciates the long maintenance intervals of a non-desmo valve-actuation system.

Updates for 2022

Although the bike is only a year old, the Multistrada V4 is getting both styling and technological updates for 2022. Most obvious is the new Arctic White colorway, which joins the current Ducati Red and Aviator Gray. The Multistrada V4 is available in four trim packages, Essential, Radar, Travel & Radar, and Full, and each trim is available in all three colors.

Electronic Ride Height

The “S” variant of the Multistrada V4 includes an electronically managed suspension system, which now has an additional function known as “minimum preload.” This system semi-automatically lowers the motorcycle on its suspension to enhance low-speed maneuverability and make the bike more rider-friendly in urban traffic. There’s also been a software upgrade to make it easier to access and interact with the electronics, thanks to the Ducati Connect system. While the updates come as standard on the new bikes, they’ll also be available free of charge to owners of last year’s Multistrada V4 S.

While the bike is currently available with detachable saddlebags, a new ADV-spec aluminum top box and side panniers will now be available.
While the bike is currently available with detachable saddlebags, a new ADV-spec aluminum top box and side panniers will now be available. (Ducati/)

Speaking of lowering the bike, there’s another option: The Ducati Performance accessories line will offer a lowered suspension kit consisting of fork and shock springs, plus a shorter sidestand. This setup will bring the seat height down by 20 millimeters (0.8 inch) with the goal of improving low-speed agility and allowing a sportier riding style.

Finally, starting in April, new aluminum luggage (both panniers and top case) will be available, catering to serious touring enthusiasts. These offer plenty of room: 76 liters for the side panniers and 41 liters for the top case. Waterproof internal liner bags provide both an additional layer of waterproofing and make loading and unloading easier.

A line from Ducati’s own website makes the 2022 Multistrada V4′s intentions clear: “Ruling the roads will never be easier.”

A view of the Multistrada V4 S with saddlebags removed. The Multistrada V4 models have been a spectacular success for Ducati, and 2022 updates add key improvements.
A view of the Multistrada V4 S with saddlebags removed. The Multistrada V4 models have been a spectacular success for Ducati, and 2022 updates add key improvements. (Ducati/)

Source

38 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

@Pedro

Perhaps you need one of these for touring Pedro ?

I love how the Mulstistrada looks, to be honest. But two things make me not even want to try one, the first being how hot they supposedly run, I like to spend time on country roads in the summer, both these and the KTMs supposedly pump quite a lot of heat to your inner thighs. The other is the portuguese dealerships, I don't care for them, shit service, they pretend like they're a Ferrari dealership and it's your privilege that they let you buy a bike :classic_laugh:

But I do like them, on theory.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

I love how the Mulstistrada looks, to be honest. But two things make me not even want to try one, the first being how hot they supposedly run, I like to spend time on country roads in the summer, both these and the KTMs supposedly pump quite a lot of heat to your inner thighs. The other is the portuguese dealerships, I don't care for them, shit service, they pretend like they're a Ferrari dealership and it's your privilege that they let you buy a bike :classic_laugh:

But I do like them, on theory.

Having owned several KTM's I totally hear what you're saying about them running hot.  Riding my first 950 after owning an Africa Twin was quite a shock .

Just now, boboneleg said:

Having owned several KTM's I totally hear what you're saying about them running hot.  Riding my first 950 after owning an Africa Twin was quite a shock .

And our weather is quite different, I can’t stand hot bikes in the summer, the GS is my limit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pedro said:

And our weather is quite different, I can’t stand hot bikes in the summer, the GS is my limit.

Yes, I rode my first KTM 950 in August in London, I thought my innner right thigh was going to toast 😲

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I was reading a comparison between the CRF1000 when it first came out and whatever KTM's equivalent bike was it was a long distance test with a mix of dirt and road, the conclusion was the KTM was a better bike but the presenters fought over who was going to ride the CRF back because the KTM was frying them in the heat of the day and neither wanted to ride it 

• Like 3