Get out of my street

yen_powell

52 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You get to some different places Yen.......what's the worst one they've sent you to?

A street works certificate 5 day course followed by tests in an unheated shed in January with a true pig of a man acting as lecturer. I wouldn't mind but it was a repeat of stuff we did 5 years before and I had to do it again a few years ago, but that one time was the absolute worst. I have never been so cold indoors before, nor disliked a lecturer as much.

Whenever I had finished writing out reams of old shit I would go and get a coffee or visit the toilet, when I came back there would be a circle of people around my paperwork copying it feverishly. If I got something wrong so did they.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You get to some different places Yen.......what's the worst one they've sent you to?

A street works certificate 5 day course followed by tests in an unheated shed in January with a true pig of a man acting as lecturer. I wouldn't mind but it was a repeat of stuff we did 5 years before and I had to do it again a few years ago, but that one time was the absolute worst. I have never been so cold indoors before, nor disliked a lecturer as much.

Whenever I had finished writing out reams of old shit I would go and get a coffee or visit the toilet, when I came back there would be a circle of people around my paperwork copying it feverishly. If I got something wrong so did they.

I was doing the repeat in 2019 when I went to A&E at 3am with my last kidney stone so I missed the last 2 days. They tried to stiff me out of my Street Works supervisor card and said I had to do the two missing days, but I did some research and the units I had completed was enough to get the basic card.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just got sent the draft traffic order notices for my new scheme to proof read. I won't paste the whole thing because it tells you how to object at the bottom. Drawing still a work in progress, but we start building on December 3rd, Gas board are doing something first so I have to wait for them to get out of the way. Using my new drawing frame, I've added shadows this year. I've started work on the area just below now, my dog turd roundabout and location for the burial of my time capsule.

draft notice.JPG

overall.JPG

close up -11.JPG

close up 1.JPG

close up 2.JPG

frame.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

Do you refer to yourself as ' I Powell '  you know like in ' I Claudius '       🤔  :classic_laugh:

frame.JPG.460d2da7c692c761e7d55734c6c8ef79.JPG.980c56bba4309bfef9cabdddabd69b22.JPG

That's m'name innit.......Ian. My fellow draftsman is called Et Tu Brute. I don't think he's from round here.

• Haha 7

• 4 weeks later...

Today was day 1 of my trafficy type scheme. It should have started yesterday but the road was closed for Thames Water to fix a bust water pipe (first picture). After waiting for a nice electrician to disconnect the power supply we smashed out an island to make the road a bit wider to give us working room and me and Jim (Irish Jim) set out my echelon parking bays which I could do now I had the parking suspended. I pinched the white globe and lantern for my mate's garden lighting or a planter.

I met the pair who will be doing the building, two east Europeans. The one who could speak English (there is only ever one in each pair) said I was to call him Jimmy and to call his mate Eddie as no one can pronounce their proper names. I was accosted by quite a few locals who wanted to know what we were doing and one lady who wants a bench put back that was there years ago. I promised her a new bench in the Spring, she said it has to be a cast iron one with wooden slats because that is the type she likes?? I was also accosted by 5 or 6 people who wanted to know why they had no water, they thought our JCB had hit a pipe.

The angled bays in question are in my drawing below. I set them out and then got one of the contractors electric vans to park in the first one to make sure it fitted.

You won't see them in the pictures but I got Jimmy (2) to put small saw cuts at critical points in the road so if the paint wears off we can remark it easily. He will them make his own cuts 500mm outside those so if the JCB smashes too much out when we do that bit he can still put his kerb lines in the right place.

close up 1.JPG

20211204_124847.jpg

20211204_124840.jpg

20211204_124822.jpg

P1300477.JPG

P1300476.JPG

P1300474.JPG

20211204_104100.jpg

20211203_101054.jpg

20211204_124857.jpg

20211204_124911.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Today was day 1 of my trafficy type scheme. It should have started yesterday but the road was closed for Thames Water to fix a bust water pipe (first picture). After waiting for a nice electrician to disconnect the power supply we smashed out an island to make the road a bit wider to give us working room and me and Jim (Irish Jim) set out my echelon parking bays which I could do now I had the parking suspended. I pinched the white globe and lantern for my mate's garden lighting or a planter.

I met the pair who will be doing the building, two east Europeans. The one who could speak English (there is only ever one in each pair) said I was to call him Jimmy and to call his mate Eddie as no one can pronounce their proper names. I was accosted by quite a few locals who wanted to know what we were doing and one lady who wants a bench put back that was there years ago. I promised her a new bench in the Spring, she said it has to be a cast iron one with wooden slats because that is the type she likes?? I was also accosted by 5 or 6 people who wanted to know why they had no water, they thought our JCB had hit a pipe.

The angled bays in question are in my drawing below. I set them out and then got one of the contractors electric vans to park in the first one to make sure it fitted.

You won't see them in the pictures but I got Jimmy (2) to put small saw cuts at critical points in the road so if the paint wears off we can remark it easily. He will them make his own cuts 500mm outside those so if the JCB smashes too much out when we do that bit he can still put his kerb lines in the right place.

close up 1.JPG

20211204_124847.jpg

20211204_124840.jpg

20211204_124822.jpg

P1300477.JPG

P1300476.JPG

P1300474.JPG

20211204_104100.jpg

20211203_101054.jpg

20211204_124857.jpg

20211204_124911.jpg

Working on a Saturday Yen?

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Working on a Saturday Yen?

Yes, for two reasons,

1/ it's the quietest day there It's a major rat run during the week and rammed on Sundays due to a food market in the park.

2/ Overtime!!!!!

Also we are only allowed to work up till the 13th December then we have to barrier it all up and wait till after Christmas because London's Mayor forbids all work over his embargo period (4th Jan). I couldn't start before Friday because Water or Gas were doing something up till then.

• Like 3