International Female Ride Day Almost Here

Hugh Janus

International Female Ride Day’s 2021 logo.
International Female Ride Day’s 2021 logo. (Motoress/)

Ever so slowly, it feels like things are getting back to the way they were in the before times, which increasingly includes motorcycle events like rallies, rides and shows. Case in point is the latest announcement from International Female Ride Day, which tells us it’s on for 2021, and is back to its usually scheduled slot in the first week of May. The worldwide event has been unfolding for 14 years now as a way to celebrate women motorcycle riders around the world; as founder Vicki Gray (also known as Motoress) tells it, “it is a globally synchronized “JUST RIDE!” day” created for all women…[and] to promote and highlight women riders while making a positive difference for women in motorcycling and powersports.” IFRD claims to be the world’s largest women rider and powersports event synchronized across all borders and all cultures.

Last year’s edition got bumped from its normal May timing, and was moved to August. But we’re happy to report that the 2021 edition, which is also celebrating the 15th anniversary of IFRD, is May 1.

Indian/Polaris are returning for 2021 as sponsors of IFRD.
Indian/Polaris are returning for 2021 as sponsors of IFRD. (Indian Motorcycles/)

This year’s IFRD is already deep into the planning stage, with solo rides, socially distanced gatherings and women’s “Just Ride!” meetups all on the menu for the 15th global edition. Then, on Saturday May 1st, women riders around the world will hop on their motorcycles, scooters, and powersports rigs in a synchronized global ride day unfolding in over 120 countries and six continents.

According to IFRD’s press release, “the movement places a spotlight on the diverse participation of women already engaging in motorcycling and powersports while inspiring other women to learn to ride and obtain their license.” It goes on to state that, even though female ridership has doubled over the last decade, women still represent just around 20 percent of all motorcycle owners, and the momentum needs to continue to advance the future of motorcycling for women, and arguably, the sport as a whole.

RELATED: International Female Ride Day Is August 22

To that end, this year’s 15th edition is using the theme (and tag) of #FocusFemaleForward to put more emphasis on the IFRD’s goals, which, in a nutshell, is to encourage new women to ride while aiming to move women forward in all aspects. And although things are looking somewhat sunnier as far as health restrictions go this year, IFRD 2021 is still being planned with a careful eye toward navigating the coronavirus pandemic. Riders taking part are being reminded to enjoy the day within pandemic protocols and to follow guidelines for social distancing to protect against the spread of COVID-19. As in 2020, all participants have access to the complete Coronavirus guidelines and ride planning tools on the IFRD website, where you can also dig up ways to take part, and check out helpful tips to get your ride ready.

Indian Motorcycle (and parent company Polaris) as well as Triumph Motorcycles are returning as IFRD’s partners again this year, while IFRD supporters include Can-Am (BRP) Yamaha and Harley-Davidson Footwear. But it’s key to remember that all are welcome to support the cause, participate and ride - no matter what they ride.

Source

Why is there a female riding day? Whats that about? Is there a male day? A human being day? A dog day? A cat day?  Just motorcyclist day should be enough, because motorcyclist is not man or woman, its just motorcyclist!

Just be!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Im waiting for a casual riding day, one i can just sip a nice cappochenolattespecialgrandelatté extra cream, with my spotless adventure boots propped up on a starbucks foot stool. A man can dream cant he. ?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tym said:

Im waiting for a casual riding day, one i can just sip a nice cappochenolattespecialgrandelatté extra cream, with my spotless adventure boots propped up on a starbucks foot stool. A man can dream cant he. ?

:dancebanana:

IMG_7144.thumb.jpeg.a70e1124c10ae76165967e54c56b88c0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Descrimination , pure and simple.  I demand a one-legged person riding day  ?:dancebanana:

I’m pretty sure there is a “bring your gimp to work day” you could join that.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I think you ought to take me on your bus for the day :littleguy:

That would certainly encourage social distancing.

• Haha 2