Tin Cup, Colorado - August 17, 2020

Earache

Colorado is blanketed in forest fire smoke this month. No rain, single digit humidity and high temperatures and making the forests rather dry. But this morning, the smoke looked thinner than usual so I set out on a ride to the ghost town of Tin Cup. Can almost see the hills...

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

• Like 3

I didn';t ride this area last year as there was so much road coinstruction going on. That meant that this summer's ride is on new asphalt that is super smooth. Like it...

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3639.JPG

• Like 3

Turned down a dirt road and followed it about 10 miles to Tin Cup.

Tin Cup is an old mining town but the unique part about it is that it's still inhabited.  The old homes are mostl;y used as summer homes and are in pretty good shape considering their age and how they were constructed...

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3673.JPG

• Like 3

Brilliant Eric! 

That town is weird.......the buildings all look like garden sheds!

Don't they get broken into though? Cos it looks like the doors could just be kicked open?

And a height of 10,000ft........what was the temp there?

I love that scenery, those roads, everything.

What's your average speed on those roads? I ask because that kind of distance  for a day ride is something I can only do when using motorways. If I stick to the kind of roads I enjoy I am frequently using second and third gear a lot in the twisty areas. There is no way to get around small roads here.

Also, are you happy with that helmet and wind buffeting?

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

Brilliant Eric! 

That town is weird.......the buildings all look like garden sheds!

Don't they get broken into though? Cos it looks like the doors could just be kicked open?

And a height of 10,000ft........what was the temp there?

They are old miner's homes, so probably only 1-2 people lived there. Some aren't much bigger than a garden shed.

Doesn't look like they get broken into as they are pretty remote and I can promise that everyone that lives there has guns - lots of them. Break in and die. Colorado does have a Castle Law.

My home is at 9,300' feet or so and yesterday's high temp was like 75F / 24C. So This was around 70F / 21C - perfect for riding. Denver (5300')  was around 97F/31C yesterday  -it's the warmest time of year here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

I love that scenery, those roads, everything.

What's your average speed on those roads? I ask because that kind of distance  for a day ride is something I can only do when using motorways. If I stick to the kind of roads I enjoy I am frequently using second and third gear a lot in the twisty areas. There is no way to get around small roads here.

Also, are you happy with that helmet and wind buffeting?

The posted speed limit here was 35 mph, but I didn't do much less than 60mph and never really passed anyone. There aren't any cops out here as there are no towns for miles. Pretty much do whatever you want to. No cell service so it's not like someone is going to call the police on you, ( and not like they'd come if someone did).  Speed and route chart added - from my GPS; averaged 41 mph overall with stops included - but I only stopped for fuel and to take pics, so no long stops. But my moving speeds look to be in the 60-80 mph range. Speed Touring at it's finest.?

I like the Arai and have never had any buffeting issues on the Super Tenere or the GS - both have stock windscreens. Buffeting just has never been an issue for me. I know some are constantly changing helmets, screen sizes etc but it's just not a problem for me.

Route Speeds.jpg

1 hour ago, Earache said:

Doesn't look like they get broken into as they are pretty remote and I can promise that everyone that lives there has guns - lots of them. Break in and die. Colorado does have a Castle Law.

Castle Law? What's that?