Old Railway Station in Baza

XTreme

On the hunt for old Railway Stations again......and this time it's Baza!

This was a large station in it's day, with a lot of passenger and goods traffic.

The station itself has been restored, and the engine sheds, water tower, and turntable still remain.

Like all of them it's been closed since the end of December 1984.

Here's the updated map of stations visited.......the green spots mark completed.

gssr.jpg.d2827b8996e4f70fdbead642408f927c.jpg

This is how it looked in 1894.......

529451707_Estacionbazakm2.jpg.ad634de279cfc010f057e7cb25e57eeb.jpg

........and how it looked in the 70's!

70s.jpg.5ae4db9a9be42425239df12a6037c267.jpg

Now let's go right up to date!

vs393.jpg

vs394.jpg

vs394a-min.jpg

vs395.jpg

vs395a-min.jpg

vs395b-min.jpg

vs395c-min.jpg

vs395d-min.jpg

vs395e-min.jpg

vs396.jpg

vs396a-min.jpg

vs396b-min.jpg

vs396c-min.jpg

vs396d-min.jpg

vs396e-min.jpg

vs396f-min.jpg

vs396g-min.jpg

vs396h-min.jpg

vs396i-min.jpg

vs396j-min.jpg

vs397.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not sitting here and translating it all for you Yen! :twat:

It basically says it's a turntable for changing direction of the loco.....then touches on the station opened in 1894, the towns it connected to while carrying minerals from the mines, and the 33 metre railway bridge in Baul.

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

I'm not sitting here and translating it all for you Yen! :twat:

It basically says it's a turntable for changing direction of the loco.....then touches on the station opened in 1894, the towns it connected to while carrying minerals from the mines, and the 33 metre railway bridge in Baul.

Grassy Arse my old gringo, bloody boneos idlios, that's your trouble.

I googled the name of the company mentioned and it said that it was built using British money. I suspect the hand of either a Brit engine designer or something built under licence based on UK designs.

"The GSSR was a British undertaking, built in southeast Spain at the end of the 19th century. Its original purpose was to link Murcia in the province of the same name with Granada, also in the province of the same name. A lack of money and an underestimation of the terrain to be crossed meant that the final project only linked the three towns of Lorca, Águilas (Murcia) and Baza (Granada). The remaining sections of the line were eventually constructed by other companies. Although the termini were in other provinces the major part of the line went through the scenic Almanzora Valley in Almería."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Grassy Arse my old gringo, bloody boneos idlios, that's your trouble.

I googled the name of the company mentioned and it said that it was built using British money. I suspect the hand of either a Brit engine designer or something built under licence based on UK designs.

"The GSSR was a British undertaking, built in southeast Spain at the end of the 19th century. Its original purpose was to link Murcia in the province of the same name with Granada, also in the province of the same name. A lack of money and an underestimation of the terrain to be crossed meant that the final project only linked the three towns of Lorca, Águilas (Murcia) and Baza (Granada). The remaining sections of the line were eventually constructed by other companies. Although the termini were in other provinces the major part of the line went through the scenic Almanzora Valley in Almería."

You can find more info HERE Yen!

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

Mostly Brum I think!

No, they look like they have been put together with proper tools. My ex Father in Law is a Brummie and I once watched him use a hammer to put a screw into a piece of wood. "Aha", says I, "The famous Birmingham Screwdriver I have heard about. What do you use screwdrivers for then?"

His answer was, "Them's fer opening tins of paint obviously, is yow stupid??.."

• Haha 1