2023 BMW G 310 GS Review

The BMW G 310 GS can be described in one word: playful.
The BMW G 310 GS can be described in one word: playful. (Jeff Allen/)

Originally available to US riders in 2018, the G 310 GS is BMW’s take on the lightweight adventure bike segment. BMW developed the G 310 GS on the already existing G 310 R platform manufactured in India, but configured this dual-purpose machine with off-road friendly components. The G 310 GS has seen small revisions throughout the years, mostly for Euro 5 compliance. In 2021, the bike received full LED lighting, adjustable levers, anti-hopping clutch, automatic idle boost, and an electronic throttle.

The 2023 BMW G 310 GS Rallye in Kalamata Dark Gold Metallic ($6,485).
The 2023 BMW G 310 GS Rallye in Kalamata Dark Gold Metallic ($6,485). (Jeff Allen/)

For 2023, the BMW G 310 GS ($6,485 with Rallye paint) utilizes the same 313cc DOHC liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine with a backward-facing cylinder and cylinder head found in the G 310 R. But the ADV variant has more suspension travel (7.1 inches of suspension travel whereas the R offers a little over 5 inches), 19-inch front wheel, longer wheelbase, and a more relaxed steering head angle of 26.7 degrees (310 R: 25.1 degrees).

BMW’s G 310 GS follows design cues from its larger sibling, the R 1250 GS, giving the lightweight adventure bike full-size aesthetics with a relatively low seat height of 32.8 inches. No ride modes are present and the only electronic rider aid is non-switchable ABS (2020 and previous models benefit from switchable ABS).

Related: The Different Types of Motorcycles

The BMW G 310 GS’s top-end performance may be attributed to its bore and stroke of 80mm x 62.1mm.
The BMW G 310 GS’s top-end performance may be attributed to its bore and stroke of 80mm x 62.1mm. (Jeff Allen/)2023 BMW G 310 GS dyno chart.
2023 BMW G 310 GS dyno chart. (Robert Martin/)

The 313cc single offers an extremely linear power delivery all the way up to its approximate 11,000 rpm redline. On our in-house Dynojet 250i dynamometer, the 2023 BMW produced 30.5 hp at 9,420 rpm and 18.8 lb.-ft. of torque at 7,460 rpm. Peak power is produced after 9,000 rpm—and that is felt on the road. Revving the engine to its cutoff provided the most drive out of corners. But its soft bottom-end proves useful with easy modulation for less experienced riders. Off-road the powerplant offers usable low-end torque that helps keep the road-biased Metzeler Tourance rear tire hooking up. Throttle response is soft but direct. Sliding corners or chugging up a hill, inputs applied at the throttle predictably translate to power delivery at the rear wheel.

Putting the power down. Nailing shifts on a twisty uphill is imperative to maintain drive out of a corner.
Putting the power down. Nailing shifts on a twisty uphill is imperative to maintain drive out of a corner. (Jeff Allen/)

Suspension settings are soft and comfortable. Cruising around town or traversing a canyon road at moderate speeds, the components provide heaps of feedback, giving the rider a sense of control as well as increasing the available grip the surface has to offer. But aggressive riding will quickly find the limits of the BMW’s suspension. Charging down a twisty road, the suspension blows through the stroke and generates a lot of weight transfer, causing the steering to feel vague. Off-road, the supple suspension comfortably absorbs rocks and other small obstacles. But again, plowing through a rough section will quickly find the components’ limitations and make the bike a handful.

Carrying its weight well, this mini GS effortlessly rolls onto the side of its tire.
Carrying its weight well, this mini GS effortlessly rolls onto the side of its tire. (Jeff Allen/)

On the Cycle World automotive scales, the 2023 BMW G 310 GS weighs in at 384 pounds. For reference, the 2020 KTM 390 Adventure is 387 pounds on our scales. Although the BMW may be hefty on paper, in motion the bike is agile and quick steering. There may be no better bike to navigate a crowded parking lot or busy side street.

An extremely light clutch lever pull further adds to the vehicle’s ease of use. Neutral ergonomics put the rider in an upright seating position that is comfortable on all-day excursions. But in the dirt, the G 310 GS’s close relation to the G 310 R is apparent. Standing up, the handlebar is uncomfortably low and the footpegs are too small. Resting your boot on the exhaust heat shield is inevitable. The BMW’s large rally-style fairing provides good wind protection for the body but the small windscreen doesn’t offer much protection near the helmet.

With no traction control rider aid, managing rear wheel grip is solely dependent on the pilot.
With no traction control rider aid, managing rear wheel grip is solely dependent on the pilot. (Jeff Allen/)

ByBre braking components are fitted at both ends of the motorcycle. Up front is a single four-piston radial-mounted caliper with a 300mm disc. At the back is a single-piston caliper with a 241mm disc. The components are responsive and progressive, but pronounced fork dive is present. Entering corners under hard braking the fork inevitably lives at the bottom of the stroke. No fault of the binders, just soft suspension.

The GS’s short windscreen allows the rider to get their head over the front of the bike in an off-road setting.
The GS’s short windscreen allows the rider to get their head over the front of the bike in an off-road setting. (Jeff Allen/)

BMW’s G 310 GS is not a hardcore adventure bike. And it was never intended to be. Instead, the German manufacturer developed an urban dual sport based off of the already existing G 310 R roadster, with moderate off-road abilities. Any rider looking for a true off-roader at a similar price point should consider a small-displacement dual sport such as Kawasaki’s KLX300 or Honda’s CRF300L. But anyone who wants an accessible adventure motorcycle with BMW pedigree in an approachable package, look no further than the BMW G 310 GS.

Yes, the G 310 GS is certainly capable of wheelies.
Yes, the G 310 GS is certainly capable of wheelies. (Jeff Allen/)The six-speed gearbox is tight and slick making it easy to change gears at any speed.
The six-speed gearbox is tight and slick making it easy to change gears at any speed. (Jeff Allen/)Standard seat height on the 2023 BMW G 310 GS is 32.8 inches. BMW offers a low seat option of 32.3 inches or a high seat option of 33.4 inches.
Standard seat height on the 2023 BMW G 310 GS is 32.8 inches. BMW offers a low seat option of 32.3 inches or a high seat option of 33.4 inches. (Jeff Allen/)BMW fitted the G 310 GS with a four-piston ByBre caliper, resulting in ample stopping power from the 300mm disc.
BMW fitted the G 310 GS with a four-piston ByBre caliper, resulting in ample stopping power from the 300mm disc. (Jeff Allen/)The digital dash is rudimentary but very functional. And the gear position indicator is a nice touch.
The digital dash is rudimentary but very functional. And the gear position indicator is a nice touch. (Jeff Allen/)BMW equipped the G 310 GS with a LED headlight, taillight, and turn indicators.
BMW equipped the G 310 GS with a LED headlight, taillight, and turn indicators. (Jeff Allen/)BMW gave the G 310 GS traditional ADV beak styling. The Kalamata Dark Gold Metallic paint and red frame are a nice touch too.
BMW gave the G 310 GS traditional ADV beak styling. The Kalamata Dark Gold Metallic paint and red frame are a nice touch too. (Jeff Allen/)The BMW G 310 GS is not all bark and no bite. For modest off-road adventures, the lightweight ADV will surely get you there.
The BMW G 310 GS is not all bark and no bite. For modest off-road adventures, the lightweight ADV will surely get you there. (Jeff Allen/)Adding to the vehicle's utility is a large luggage rack. BMW offers a hard, 29-liter top case as an accessory.
Adding to the vehicle's utility is a large luggage rack. BMW offers a hard, 29-liter top case as an accessory. (Jeff Allen/)

2023 BMW G 310 GS Rallye Specs

MSRP: $6,458
Engine: DOHC, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke single cylinder; 4 valves/cyl.
Displacement: 313cc
Bore x Stroke: 80.0 x 62.1mm
Compression Ratio: 10.9:1
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Cycle World Measured Horsepower: 30.5 hp @ 9,420 rpm
Cycle World Measured Torque: 18.8 lb.-ft. @ 7,460 rpm
Fuel System: Electronic fuel injection w/ ride-by-wire
Clutch: Wet, multiplate anti-hopping
Frame: Tubular space
Front Suspension: 41mm inverted; 7.1 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Central spring strut, spring preload adjustable; 7.1 in. travel
Front Brake: 4-piston radial-mounted ByBre fixed caliper, 300mm disc w/ ABS
Rear Brake: 1-piston ByBre floating caliper, 241mm disc w/ ABS
Wheels, Front/Rear: Cast aluminum; 19 x 2.50 in. / 17 x 4.00 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: 110/80-19 / 150/70-17
Rake/Trail: 26.7°/3.9 in.
Wheelbase: 55.9 in.
Ground Clearance: N/A
Seat Height: 32.8 in.
Fuel Capacity: 3.0 gal.
Average MPG: 53.8 mpg
Cycle World Measured Wet Weight: 384 lb.

Gearbox

Helmet: Alpinestars Supertech M10 Fame

Goggles: Scott Prospect

Jacket: Alpinestars ST-7 2L Gore-Tex

Gloves: Alpinestars Megawatt V2

Pants: Alpinestars Revenant Gore-Tex Pro

Boots: Alpinestars XT-8 Gore-Tex

Source

Shittiest bike I’ve ever ridden, a loaner one of this.

Gently loaned for free to get me home and back during my bike’s service, still a shitty bike. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Pedro said:

Gently loaned for free to get me home and back during my bike’s service, still a shitty bike. 

That's interesting to know, I have always liked the look of them but never been near riding one.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pedro said:

As standard they are no where near as good as a standard Himalayan off road and they do nothing for me looks-wise. 

• Like 2

On 20/01/2024 at 09:36, Saul said:

That's interesting to know, I have always liked the look of them but never been near riding one.  

Try it and give it a go. I recognise that going from a gs adventure to one of those was maybe a big shock :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Try it and give it a go. I recognise that going from a gs adventure to one of those was maybe a big shock :classic_laugh:

I can see a big boxer GS is definitely different gravy to one of those smaller ones.  I was still quite struck by the original Himalayan, as I would enjoy tinkering with it as much as riding but this guy has put me off a little.  

• Like 1