New member, after advice.

Immybob

On 06/02/2023 at 12:53, Immybob said:

Hiya guys, I’m new here and a fairly recent purchase has prompted coming on. A 2020 1250GS, I use every day for work and am planning many trips. I want to do the Route des Grande Alps to the coast (over a couple of days) and was after suggestions for staying along the way, then after a stay on the coast (again I’d love some ideas & experience) was looking to travel back North fairly quickly but taking in decent roads if I could. 
Thanks in advance for help & hope to see a few of you out on the roads. 

Hi Bob, and welcome in. I agree with almost everything @Motobiker said in his post ( except the bit about northern France being uninteresting, but this is not the question here). In your case get off the ferry or the chunnel and hoon down the A26 avoiding Paris like the plague, to Reims or even Troyes, depening on your timings and how long you can ride in a day ( Calais troyes is about 4 or 5 hours depending on speed and stopping time.  A second day to get from Troyes to Morzine, again 5 hours actual saddle time, autoroute to Bourg en Bresse and then take the D979 to Nantua, D1084 to Bellegarde, D1206 as far as St Julien en Genevois. Pop back onto the autoroute A40 in order to bypass Geneva ( there's no other easy way round and it avoids going into switzerland and allows you to make some ground fast) off the A40 at Cluses to follow the D902 up to Morzine> from there you pick up the route de grands alpes.   I know that part of the country well, and love it. 

OR

the bearing from Troyes to Morzine is about 139deg true, grab a map and a compass and away ye go 😜

I can't really advise on lodgings as many will have changed sice I was regularly down that way, but as Motobiker says there are plenty apps to find hostels, hotels, campsites, whatever. 

Have fun!

I'm about an hour and a half from anywhere between Troyes and Dijon, if you need anything give us a shout.

• Like 8