5 Least Powerful Bikes Dyno’d in 2022

Hugh Janus

5 Least Powerful Bikes on Dyno.
5 Least Powerful Bikes on Dyno. (KTM/)

There are many arguments to be made for low-displacement, modest-horsepower motorcycles. Approachable performance and rider-friendly characteristics are critical in developing the skills of less experienced riders, while even veterans can appreciate them for their smooth-cruising charm and do-it-all attitude. Plus, these may help avoid a run-in with the law.

But the No. 1 argument? Having the ability to extract every last bit of performance out of a motorcycle. Ride it to the limit and beyond, all while maintaining control. Try that on a 200-plus horsepower superbike.

Besides, as the saying goes: It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Honda CRF300L

Horsepower and torque figures of the 2022 Honda CRF300L recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno.
Horsepower and torque figures of the 2022 Honda CRF300L recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno. (Robert Martin Jr./)

While the Honda CRF300L may produce the least amount of horsepower recorded on the Cycle World dyno in 2022, it may be one of the most capable motorcycles around. Pick a spot, any spot. This do-it-all dual sport will get you there without hesitation, whether it’s on or off-road. Sure, the 286cc single-cylinder engine may only produce 22.7 hp at 8,500 and 16.7 lb.-ft. of torque at 6,300, but you can almost guarantee a great time on two wheels.

Kawasaki KLX300SM

Horsepower and torque figures of the Kawasaki KLX300SM recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno.
Horsepower and torque figures of the Kawasaki KLX300SM recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno. (Robert Martin Jr./)

Think of the Kawasaki KLX300SM as the ultimate entry-level supermoto. Low horsepower, relatively low cost of entry, and friendly dimensions paired with big performance potential equals a lot of entertainment for the KLX300SM. Let its 24 hp and 15.6 lb.-ft. of torque loose at the kart track, then hack it sideways and hone your skills while giggling all the way around the corners.

Suzuki DR-Z400S

Horsepower and torque figures of the 2022 Suzuki DR-Z400S recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno.
Horsepower and torque figures of the 2022 Suzuki DR-Z400S recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno. (Robert Martin Jr./)

As one of the original dual sport machines, there’s a cult following behind the Suzuki DR-Z400S. This tried-and-true motorcycle is up for any task, big or small. The 31.8 hp and 24.3 lb.-ft. of torque recorded on the Cycle World dyno is in the middle ground of this bunch, but its opportunities for adventure are almost endless.

KTM RC 390

Horsepower and torque figures of the 2022 KTM RC 390 recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno.
Horsepower and torque figures of the 2022 KTM RC 390 recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno. (Robert Martin Jr./)

Despite being an entry-level supersport machine, the KTM RC 390 packs big performance in more ways than one. The 390 gets a race-inspired chassis that’s worthy of decking your knees at the apex of corners, premium componentry, and even an electronic rider-aid suite. Plus, the 390′s 40.9 hp and 24.4 lb.-ft. of torque is the perfect balance of power at the racetrack, allowing you to ride it to its maximum and focus on your skills—all while shredding past literbikes.

Royal Enfield INT650

Horsepower and torque figures of the 2022 Royal Enfield INT650 recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno.
Horsepower and torque figures of the 2022 Royal Enfield INT650 recorded on the <i>Cycle World</i> dyno. (Robert Martin Jr./)

The Royal Enfield INT650? A staff favorite for more reasons than one. The INT650 is one of two (a third is soon to hit the market) air/oil-cooled 648cc parallel twins from the legendary OEM that blend classic charm with modern-day performance. The ride is delightfully neutral in every aspect, including the smooth, yet exhilarating performance of its powerplant. You could argue that 40.9 hp and 37.4 lb.-ft. of torque has never felt so good.

Source

3 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Pussy feed , this is where the real action is ................

I still remember the heat in that room when he finally opened the door after putting my bike through its work out for a few hours.

• Like 1

Just now, yen_powell said:

I still remember the heat in that room when he finally opened the door after putting my bike through its work out for a few hours.

It can be a bit frightening for owners to watch :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1