The Pub/Bar

boboneleg

Ive always thought there was a distinct difference between a pub and a bar.

To me a pub is a place you can go any time of day to get something to eat and have an alcoholic beverage or a cup of coffee if you prefer. I suppose in my mind a decent pub is a country pub a bit like a the type of thing you get a lot of in the Cotswolds where you use it to meet up with people or start n finish a dog walk (preferably with an open fire), the sort of places that are ok for children to be in at lunch time.

Then there are rough pubs that you’re only semi safe in if you’re from the area or built like a brick shithouse and bars which are purely about drinking booze and usually serve cocktails on a night out.

My Ozzie mate says unless a Brit opens one you only get British style pubs in Britain, in other countries they dont exist in the same format.

• Like 4

I suppose it depends where you were brought up.  As someone who's lived in a big city for 90% of my life pubs to me are noisy , crowded places where it's almost impossible to find some space.   Having said that, it's got be 30 years since I was a regular in a pub.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I suppose it depends where you were brought up.  As someone who's lived in a big city for 90% of my life pubs to me are noisy , crowded places where it's almost impossible to find some space.   Having said that, it's got be 30 years since I was a regular in a pub.

I remember The Park pub in Swansea Easter 1972.......one huge full scale brawl (the complete pub) Townhill v Penlan!

There were verandas there and people were flying off them onto the floor below!

It was like something out of a Wild West film!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I remember The Park pub in Swansea Easter 1972.......one huge full scale brawl (the complete pub) Townhill v Penlan!

There were verandas there and people were flying off them onto the floor below!

It was like something out of a Wild West film!

Townhill Rd in Mayhill was one of the places I used to have a guard when delivering to the newagents

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There was a pub in the town that I lived in  my teens/early 20's that used to have the police vans parked outside every Friday and Saturday night in readiness! The brewery closed it for a couple of months, knocked it all into one bar, carpeted it all and put nice seats in and renamed it to try to change its image............a complete waste of time and money! It was as bad as ever, but putting a pool table in there had just given people weapons to use during the usual weekend brawls! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Townhill Rd in Mayhill was one of the places I used to have a guard when delivering to the newagents

Was it the Newsagents on the bend as you go up the hill? I binned my Vespa under a parked car there in 1971.

Or was it further up by Frank's chip shop? I don't think I binned anything by there!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tango said:

There was a pub in the town that I lived in  my teens/early 20's that used to have the police vans parked outside every Friday and Saturday night in readiness! The brewery closed it for a couple of months, knocked it all into one bar, carpeted it all and put nice seats in and renamed it to try to change its image............a complete waste of time and money! It was as bad as ever, but putting a pool table in there had just given people weapons to use during the usual weekend brawls! 

That's exactly the sort of pubs we used to go in :classic_laugh:

Some of my mates used to kick off in the back of the pub, then when the landlord and barman ran to the back to sort it out the rest of us would lean over the bar and top our pints up 🤪

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Was it the Newsagents on the bend as you go up the hill? I binned my Vespa under a parked car there in 1971.

Or was it further up by Frank's chip shop? I don't think I binned anything by there!

It was the one on the rank of shops , I'm pretty sure there was a chip shop there but I never stayed any longer than neccessary :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

Just now, boboneleg said:

It was the one on the rank of shops , I'm pretty sure there was a chip shop there but I never stayed any longer thab neccessary :classic_laugh:

Yeh......nearer the top of the hill! Not far from the Rum & Punch!

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

That's exactly the sort of pubs we used to go in :classic_laugh:

Some of my mates used to kick off in the back of the pub, then when the landlord and barman ran to the back to sort it out the rest of us would lean over the bar and top our pints up 🤪

I used to drink with some of the guys in the dodgy pub that people tended to leave alone, so we rarely got involved in any of the trouble. 😂😂😂