Speed Triple 1050 1st Edition - the One!

Sofia

This was a great bike. Absolute torque beast.  Like a loving Pitbull, it was strong, big, but friendly and dependable. Super, super fun to have the max torque at 5500rpm! 

It was stolen after 14 month of owning it with 13.400 miles. The thieves were maybe expecting less miles!! That happened on the 21st of July 2006 and still upsets me today. 

Created such a bond with it! Went to the Nurburgring on it ( the pictures here are at the Ring, Schwalbenschwanz in March 2006 ), went round the UK on it, Land's End to John O'Groats with its 874 miles that went by in a blur in a day and a record time! Went to Le Mans and many parts of France, Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg on it, used it every day  during those 14 months. Some vehicles really mark us. A motorcycle will always get under the skin more than a car, at least for me, and this one will always be my “one”!! 

A curiosity of life was that after  ordering it, I got the chance of visiting the Factory with the Portuguese Owners Club that was touring the UK and visiting the factory. Many of them were my friends and took me along on their Factory Tour as a guest! On that visit, luck would have it, that the production line was making Speed Triples in yellow and, with my uncontrollable enthusiasm only surpassed by that of a mad Labrador Retriever puppy, I made so much noise, the tour guide eventually found the VIN number that had my name on it and I saw it! There were 2 destined for Jack Lilley, finished already and waiting to be tested, and one was for me! 3 weeks later I was reunited with it. Well, there is a chance the Triumph Factory guide made the whole thing up, in truth I didnt put a mark on the bike I saw, so it could be another one, but I like Walt Disney’s words: “When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.”

CNV00099.JPG

CNV00100.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, XTreme said:

Tremendous Sofia!

Pity about it getting stolen........as I understand it, the situation there has got a lot worse since then.

Not so bad in my area but in the major cities,  if it's not welded to the floor it's gone.

• Like 1

I love the looks of the front twin round lights in these Triumphs, don't care much for the short rear end though. 

Can be applied to other possessions that other people value more than motorcycles, but working to save money, to buy a brand new bike, starting to bond with it, and then having it stolen is really tough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Specs said:

I wouldn’t dream of leaving a bike unattended in Swansea. There are constant reports of bikes been stolen around there. ?

Motorcyclist makes it halfway around world on epic trip... then gets his bike stolen in Swansea!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/motorcyclist-makes-halfway-around-world-6511905

15 minutes ago, Specs said:

I can remember that. It’s got a lot worse since then. 

Nearly 30 years since I left there Alan........and it was shit even back then!